1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Anyone know know of a computer of motherboard with a BIOS write jumper?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Mez, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

I have been looking for a MOBO like this for years. I thought I would but it out there again. I believe all MOBOS and HDs should have jumpers to turn on firmware writing. For HDs they would remove the jumper after they install the firmware. This would provide a cheap fool proof malware protection. Instead they are trying to build a smarter firmware. I bet the hackers will have a method to defeat before it come on the market. They were able to make read-write firmware RO after it was infected I assume the manufactures were fully raided and they have every bit of firmware code and all designs. That is the only way they could have 'wiped the floor' with the experts. A year later, none of the experts has figured out how to remove the infection from their HDs. I guess because of that embarrassment they want to show they are smarter than the hackers. I bet they aren't. It is usually an ego thing.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen a motherboard with a bios protect jumper in years.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes and if it does the jumper it is only listed as a BIOS jumper in the manual, not what it actually does. Funny, when they were made there was no BIOS malware. Now that they are fairly common they discontinued the practice.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

you can always add your own.. heh heh heh.. find the specs on the bios chip, look for the "write_enable" line.. either ground or +5 to enable.. and then supply it with the opposite from somewhere.. that stops anything else writing to it.. nice little homebrew project for a boring sunday arvo :D

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks! That solution wasn't part of my realm of possibilities. I doubt I am up for that since I am piss poor with machine language. I will look into it. Simple me would prefer the hardware approach. Maybe that is similar to how the firmware 'upgrades' are made permanent. This really points out the quality of our 'white hats'. I bet you couldn't get a job at one of those companies yet you can come up with smarter solutions than those fools.

On another tech forum I belong to we were discussing how incurably incompetent the 'white hats' were. This is quite humorous since most of the members are 'white hats' or think they are. Most but not all blame all malware infections on either not complex enough passwords or stupid users. If they did their homework they would know there is an alarming number of identified malware attacks which there is no defense. How many unidentified attacks are out there? One of the security professionals trying to defend that the entire IT community as not completely witless over security. One member wrote back and how would you classify putting the controls for our power grid on line. Last year counter espionage (USA hackers) broke int to Iran's project destroy USA by cyber attack found a project in progress where they here hacking into different power grid controllers. Who knows how many other projects like that are out there.

The last 2 computers I bought (together, a GREAT buy if they were not infected) already had primary boot partitions (C:) not visible after you boot up. I gave them the heads up 2 weeks ago. I will shake them down for 2 'new' uninfected computers or 2 uninfected drives and a restore disk that is not infected. I will make them an offer they can't refuse.