1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone know what the hell this means????

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by dankehoe1, Dec 13, 2001.

1. dankehoe1

dankehoe1 Guest

i cut and pasted this from a page i found while searching for the difference between svhs and vhs tapes. the author said the following:

As every SVHS user must have noticed, genuine SVHS video cassettes are considerably more expensive than VHS cassettes are. For some time I have been punching a hole in the base of VHS cassettes to use for less than critical applications, but have not been entirely happy with the results.

anyone know what the hell he's talking about?? punching holes?? is this some kind of physical mod? cuz i am thinking about going out and getting a svhs player to capitalize on my possesion of an apex 600a dvd player with the loophole menu in place allowing me to disable macrovision on dvds, so if i can avoid this by doing some crazy hole punching voodoo, hey, what the hell.
    appreciate the help. ;-)

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

SVHS cassettes are physically the same size, etc as regular VHS cassettes, but (I assume, don't know -- based on the clip you pasted here) their tape is higher quality and they have a hole in the cassette structure and SVHS videos recognize the cassette as SVHS cassette if they found this hole in the cassette. So, you can basically record SVHS video to VHS cassette, but the tape quality is still just VHS quality and therefor you don't gain much from doing this operation.

3. dankehoe1

dankehoe1 Guest

hmm. sounds logical to me. once again, thanks for your knowledge, Dr.