1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone one know whats going on?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mgreen, Jan 19, 2004.

1. mgreen

mgreen Member

I have some copied dvd's that play on a mates standalone machine. they last around 90 mins. When I open the dvd in "my computer" the files are called "mpeggav, EXT, segment" etc. I thought to work it all needed to be in a "VIDEO_TS" folder. It also says the total size of the disc is 11.6meg, which seems very small to me. When I play it all I get is a few still photos.
    I have put all the folders in one and called it VIDEO_TS and loaded it into my burning program. When I did this the total size went to 622meg, which still seems small.
    It burned fine but then on play-back it said "unsurported format"
    Right. I Hope that was all clear. In short does anyone one know how I can get these to work or rename the files so I can copy them?
    Any help would be great!

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya mgreen,
    Yes, they probably do, BUT THEY ARE NOT DVDs, it will become clear soon...
    Does that not give you a clue?
    What about the folder that says VCD or SVCD?

Your mate's so-called DVD is actually a VIDEO-CD or a SUPER VIDEO-CD (VCD has an MPEG-1 streaming file on it, SVCD has an MPEG-2 streaming file on it).

Neither format is directly compatible with DVD, that is why you were having those problems.

Basically, you will have to do the following:
    re-encode the MPEGs into DVD-Compliant MPEG-2, then author them into a DVD Structure, then burn them to a DVD.

Read some of the Guides on the site, or some of the other threads.

If you want to know more, just yell, Ok.

Welcome to out little club....

Byeee....

3. mgreen

mgreen Member

Cheers for the quick responce. I had a look at the guides availble and none seem to be suitable. Which one do I need to read?

4. drchips

drchips Active member

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

4 Non Blondes, that's what is going on.

6. mgreen

mgreen Member

I have looked at that guide and to be quite honest i'm out of my depth. I'm still new to this. The files that I have on the dvd I want to convert are: .VCD, or DAT files. There is also a folder full of pitures. There are no AVI or MPEG or anything like that. Any ideas?

cheers for the help

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya mgreen,

VCD (DAT) files are actually streaming MPEG-1 format, and as such are not fully compliant for DVD purposes (they do not have the correct GOP structure).

Programs such as DVD Author will have problems with them, but they can be made compliant by re-encoding them with TMPGEnc 2.5

Just copy the AVSEQ01.DAT file, then rename it to FILE1.MPG (you can test play it in Windows Media Player).

Then proceed from there.

Have Fun...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  8. mgreen

mgreen Member

"So, go back to TMPGEnc's main window and select your .mp2 file as your Audio source."

I have got as far as this with these VCD files. I can watch them in media player with no sound like you said. However where and what is my .mp2 file. I cant find it and that is the next stage of the instructions.

thanks for your help, it is much apreacherated

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

another program you might like to look out for is called accoustica it converts mp2 files into mp3 and also wav.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2004
  10. mgreen

mgreen Member

I need to "author" ( what is this) the files I now have. They are now mpeg files and can play the pitchers and sound on media player. (though seperatly obviously) I started to get an authering tool but it was 23meg! Is there a good tool that is smaller that I can download on my dial up.

Ps. I have burnatonce that I then plan to burn with.

Thanks for the help, I need it!

11. drchips

drchips Active member

Ouch!!

Stuck on a dial-up, I feel sorry for you.

Unfortunately, just about any authoring package suitable for a newbie is going to be large.

Have you tried TMPGEnc DVD Author:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda.html

it is ONLY 13.5 Meg (bit less than 23 Meg) and it is very suitable as a starter package.

Otherwise try and get someone with a faster connection to d/l it and burn to CD for you.

Have Fun...

12. mgreen

mgreen Member

Again thanks for the help!
    I am not sure if that tool you suggested is suibable though. I know you know a lot more about this than me. What I now have are the VCD files that I had now split into the picture's and the sound. They are both saved as MPEG. What I want to do is put them together in sinc and burn them to a DVD. Prefrably so they will play on normal standaloans. Can the package you sugested do this? When I read the guide it was all about AVI to VCD etc.
    ps. I want to use burnatonce to burn the dvd.

Hope I am not just been stupid!

Determined to crack this in the end

Thanks

Matt

13. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

The basic sequence is this:
    1 - AVSEQ01.DAT file is copied from the VCD onto hard-drive
    2 - That copy is then renamed to FILE1.MPG
    3 - FILE1.MPG is used as input to TMPGEnc 2.5 (it will supply video and audio)
    4 - TMPGEnc processes and outputs a Compliant MPEG file (MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, your choice), call it OUT1.MPG
    5 - OUT1.MPG is used as input to TMPGEnc DVD Author
    6 - TMPGEnc DVD Author processes and outputs a DVD Structure consisting of:
    folder named Volume 1 (for example)
    within Volume 1 is a folder named VIDEO_TS
    within VIDEO_TS are a number of files
    7 - the VIDEO_TS folder and ALL the files within it are then burned to DVD (assuming it will fit).

So, like this:
    FILE1.MPG -> TMPGEnc 2.5 -> OUT1.MPG
    OUT1.MPG -> DVD Author -> VIDEO_TS folder
    VIDEO_TS folder -> burning program -> DVD-VIDEO

That is as simple as it gets.

So, yes, you do need an authoring program.

Have Fun...

14. mgreen

mgreen Member

Hi chips,

Right I am sorry to say that I am more confused then ever! I have some questions I hope you can answer.

They are:
    1.Do I have to do anything other than rename AVSEQ01.DAT file to start the process?
    2.On some of my DVD I have a smaller AVSEQ02.DAT is this the sound and do I need it?
    3.Is TMPGEnc 2.5 an authoring package?

Originally I ran the VCD files through a package and it split them in to picture and sound files that I could play on media player. Are there 2 types of TMPGEnc package, 1 for the splitting and 1 for the authoring? I downloaded that 13meg package you suggested and thought that was the authoring package?

I did muddle through putting FILE1.mpg through TMPGEnc and the process took around 90 mins. Got a file out which I renamed OUT1.mpg. Once again this only had pictures on it. I thought this as the FILE1.mpg was the pictures file I got after splitting the VCD files. However you say that FILE1.mpg will bring the sound with it.

So, by the look of things I now have the OUT1.MPG and need to convert it into the VIDEO_TS folder.

Hope I am getting there!

Thanks for you continued support.

Matt

15. drchips

drchips Active member

Renaming AVSEQ01.DAT to xxxxxx.MPG is sufficient, it will allow you to play it in Windows Media Player (MPEG-1) or in your DVD Player Application (MPEG-2).

I don't know what AVSEQ02.DAT is, copy and rename as above then play it......

TMPGEnc 2.5 is an ENCODER program;
    TMPGEnc DVD Author is an AUTHORING program.

Two seperate entities for different purposes.

When you play FILE1.MPG in Windows Media Player, does it have sound?

Have Fun...

16. mgreen

mgreen Member

Hi,

Now when I rename the avsq1(etc) file It will not play in media player. The avsq2(etc) is obviously the sound so I think I will only end up with no sound anyway.
    This has all become to much for me now. It is obviously never gonna happen. Very frustrating after all the hours though. Will just have to stick to normal dvd copying which I have mastered (I think!). My bloddy mates with there wierd VCD crap getting me down.

Thanks for all your time and effort, I am sorry it has been in vain.

Matt

PS. I have one dvd which has AVSQ(etc) 1 - 6 on it. What the hell are you suposed to do with that!

17. mgreen

mgreen Member

Chips,

Disregard the last message it was just a down moment after a hard days work.
    Right, if just rename AVSQ(etc) to FILE1.mpg it will not play in media player. I have run AVSQ(etc) through tpmg2.5 and split it. I now have two files. A OUT1.mpg which is a wave file and playes on media player. Also OUT1.mpg.mp2. As you know I cant play this as its mpg2. However if I rename it to mpg1 and play it on media player it is only the pictures. This dispite me chosing the origanal AVSQ2(etc)(the one i suspect is the audio) file as the audio input in tpmg2.5.
    If I author the OUT1.mpg.mpg2 will it still only have pictures on it? I suspect so.
    Any suggestions from here?

Thanks.
    the way things are going I will have to send you a cheque or something at the end of this!

Matt
    Th