1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use Dazzle DVD?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by megabyte2, Sep 30, 2007.

1. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Best buy has Dazzle DVD (VHS to DVD capture hardware and software) on sale for $12.99 which is a substantial price reduction. My question has anyone used this device to transfer VHS to hard drive. The package and website say you can transfer from VHS to DVD and say nothing about hard drives. In these days you rips from anything without first editing. Is this product junk or can it do what im asking it to do?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I have the old Dazzle Hollywood Bridge ......... I recorded many VHS to DVDs with it. It comes with software and you rip the VHS to the hard drive where you can then transfer it to DVD! Still works good. Quality is analog to digital. On a big screen the quality isn't so good.

why don't you give us a link to what this product is.

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

4. bergwald

bergwald Member

Went to the link at VideoHelp...poor ratings!
    My Philips DVDR3575 has a USB input but I doubt it would work as the operators manual says the only compatible devices are USB Memory and USB Card Reader.
    I'm looking for a device to backup [fair use] my purchased VHS movies but I have over 100 to backup so I'm not sure I want to tie up my cpu that much...but would consider it if I can't figure out any other way. Also, I DON'T think this is designed to deal with Macrovision, even if it worked.
    Am I wrong?

5. jayteevid

jayteevid Member

i use dazzle and the pinacle editor program that comes with it. it works but if i capture in the avi mode the picture is jerky. if i use the mpg mode its not but picture is a little grainy. it sometimes takes a long time to burn a dvd. then i get complaints from people saying the dvd skips and/or stops completely about 30minutes into the program! ive played the disc on my computer, my dvd recorder and even an older model dvd player and i dont have any problems playing them. any thoughts or suggestions on any of this?

6. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

OK, I've been using a Dazzle Platinum usb device for a little under a year now. It works great (because it has a hardware encoder chip) but the software could be better. The new Dazzle Titanium 11 sw has gotten lots of bugs out, fully support H.264 (MPEG-4AVC), and Pinnacle just announced a new HW version that supports AVHCD.

The Dazzle DVD is a red box, isn't it? That version doesn't have an encoder chip so it captures into the PC & then encodes on your hard drive. If you have an average processor or hard drive, the quality will suffer. I highly suggest you either upgrade to the Platinum or use a top end computer to capture. Nero is better IMHO in authoring DVDs but Pinnacle does make it seem like their sw is easy to use. Do a Google search on Dazzle Pinnacle DVD Author and you'll find out what I mean.

btw, if you can hold out for awhile i'd go for the sw with native AVCHD support. Because you can capture/record 1080i resolution (1920 x 1080) which is perfect for Blu-Ray.

If you have a fast computer and can do without all the bells/whistles of MPEG-4, then by all means go with the Dazzle DVD sw. But you'll regret it. If you have the budget, wait for the newer MovieBox by Dazzle, as that better sw and better hw is included.

If I had the money, i'd get either a Canopus or Blackmagic Intensity (because it has onboard HDMI capture for incredible quality). Any of the 512 mb cards for a desktop usually include capture sw along with the wiring you need. ATI cards seem to have some superb results. If you can afford it, don't go for A-V cables or even S-Video. Go for component or HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007