1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything but CMC !

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by danw64, Jan 27, 2005.

1. danw64

danw64 Guest

I was going to go to Curcuit City and get a 50 pack of Verbatim, $15. Then I did a search on the internet and found this review at Buy.com

KMS from Athens, Ohio rated this item 5 of 5
    Very, very good media
    This is not Taiyo Yuden media; however, based on scan results with KProbe, this media had very low C1 error rate and no C2 errors -- very, very good for CMC Magnetics media. Too bad the free shipping is not available now.

I would never touch CMC disc again, I lost 3 music complilation CD to that garbage, they were only 2 or 3 years old. (memorex).

Quote: zomer Newbie
    10. January 2005 @ 12:13
    U should buy high quality cd-r's like sony or TDK. You may have to pay a bit more, but you don't have the risk throwing them all away because they don't work!

Who is manufactuering Sony and TDK, anyone know?

16. January 2005 @ 23:57
    Used the CD-R Identifier and the Maxell's I bought turned out to be Prodisks. They are rated one of the best.

I might just go to CC and get the Maxells anything is better than CMC.

I just wish their was more UP TO DATE information on who is the manufactuer of CD-R's BEFORE you by them.

2. nightborn

nightborn Member

I bought a spindle of pine made by CMC 2 years ago. Luckily I only put music on them because today, about 10 of the 50 still play, and they only even play about half way through. They rot from the outer edge and move in.

I will stick to Smart Buy (Prodisc) or Mitsui from now on.

3. 222333444

222333444 Member

This is my way. I just buy them on a site like this. http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/cdr-media.html

This way I know exactly what I'm getting. They get to my house in about 2 or three work days. Problem solved.

4. Bgn

Bgn Member

As I was mentioning on another thread, is it just that you all have had bad experiences from Memorex and other non-name/low quality names bulko CMCs that may not have gone through any pass/reject testing by the BRANDER before being released to market? I have had great results from HP, Verbatim and Samsung (all CMC). These companies have a reputation to upkeep and must be testing batches that they receive from CMC before they put their label on it. Perhaps the rejects goes to Memorex et.al. that don't care as much to test what they fet from their suppliers?

5. nightborn

nightborn Member

I really doubt Samsung and HP really care too much about thier media, as they are mainly CE companies.

How many years have you been using these branded media?

6. nightborn

nightborn Member

222333444 I just checked out that site you posted, ( http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/cdr-media.html)
    that is rediculously expensive for U.S. prices. I can get any of that stuff here in Canada for the same or less in Canadian dollars. How can they do any business that way?

7. 222333444

222333444 Member

Oh really? Show me a link.

8. nightborn

nightborn Member

I am not talking about online, I am talking about in the stores, which makes it even worse, online should be cheaper.

9. 222333444

222333444 Member

Here's another one. http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=CM

26 cents each for top quality Taiyo Yuden media doesn't seem expensive to me. Maybe the store you buy from has a Website?

In the US they are more expensive when I go to a store, and your never sure who is actually Manufacturing them. Maybe even with all of the import Tarrifs and taxes in Canada they are still less expensive? Aye.

10. nightborn

nightborn Member

I was not referring to the per disc price, and maybe they had some stuff cheap, but I just took a quick look at thier 50 packs, they are more expensive there then the are here. As far as Taiyo Yuden is concerned, I have yet to find any here, but if I did, I am sure they would be at least .50 a peice, maybe a bit more.