1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to get around this?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by 1lasttime, Jun 9, 2007.

1. 1lasttime

1lasttime Member

I have a DVD and when I put it in the DVD player I get a "please eject the disc. It is not authroized for playback in your region" message.

The DVD is listed as an import but on the back it says the "origin" is the United States (it shows the US flag) and it says the "region" is 4. It says something about being unauthorized in Australia and New Zealand but nothing about the U.S where I live.

Is there anyway to get it to play?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Not easily.
    There are 'hacks' available for DVD players that allow the player to become region free, but there is always the risk that you destroy your player.If you get past that hurdle, then you may find the DVD is from a PAL region and your TV might only accept NTSC signals.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

You could rip the disk on your PC (removing all protections).
    The output has to be 'shrinked' to fit a standard single layer DVD (or you could use a double layer and not have to shrink) then before burning the disk it may have to be converted to/from PAL/NTSC.

Alternatively if your player accepts DivX files it could be converted to AVI.

3. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  4. JVC

JVC Active member

Also.........the USA is region 1.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'd just make a copy. One of the standard operations when decrypting a DVD is to remove the region code.