Aol browser

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by fastfox, May 22, 2005.

1. fastfox

fastfox Member

Hi Peeps.
    Wanadoo have just brought out a cap on on there broadband services so ive binned them off. I`m thinking about signing up at aol for a 1meg conection. Does anyone know of there`s away of using aol to connect to the net but useing your own browser instead as there`s is pants.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Ya you'll be fine. but you'll have to sign on to AOL first. When I was using their DSL I had to sign on first before IE would work.

3. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

HI fastfox, yeah there is way and i would definatley reccomend not using their browser..its a resource hog, installs third party software without even asking you and besides that its not very good anyway. It is possible to have aol as your service provider but not use their browser you just need to set up a ppoe connection and then use that to connect to aol and just simply use your own browser of choice.. If you need any info on how to do that then just give us a shout.

P.S. I wouldnt go with AOL unless you have no other choices.
    I take it you are in the UK.
    If you are, check out Pipex.net they offer a 1meg uncapped service for £14.99p/m which is very good.

4. fastfox

fastfox Member

Hi flip and kyle-lol and thenks for replying to my thread.

Kyle. Whats a ppoe connection and how do i go about setting it up, dude? I`m still waiting for my modem at the moment. The more i here about aol the less i like the idear. When i get my modem ive got 7 days to deside if i want to stick with em before they enforce the contract. So if there as bad as foke say i`ll bin em off, get the mac code off them and try someplace else. In the mean time i wish they`d hurry up and send the modem cos there dail up is sh1te and doing my head in!

5. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

6. fastfox

fastfox Member

thanks kyle.

7. fastfox

fastfox Member

Hi Kyle.
    Dude. I cant get this here ppoe connection to work. Ive set it up as it says in the guide and it dails ok but when it goes to check my pass word it says that its not valid on the domain. It connects ok if i use the aol connection software. Ive checked and rechecked that ive entered to pass word and user name right.
    Also ive used my old modem to connect to broadband (I`m still waiting for my aol modem even though my line is active) and tryed to use e- donkey but i get a error massage saying something about the browser and a scrip error.
    Any one got any idears???

8. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Not sure mat if you cant sort it out through that guide then there's not a lot more i can tell you...If i was you i would talk to Aol and ask to speak to someone from the level 2 technical team (level one dont know their arses from their elbows) tell them that you need to set up a ppoe connection but your cant use the Aol software for whatever reason you want to give(basically because its shit)

They will be able to sort it out for you...
    Good luck

9. fastfox

fastfox Member

Hi Kyle.
    Ive got my broad band modem at long last but my connection keeps getting interupted. I had to go level 1 before they put me on hold for 40 mins for level two. I gave up in the end and rang customer shit services to let rip at some one. This is pants!

10. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Fast fox...this is only the beginning. They had me on hold for literally hours man. You just have to blag it a bit..just say that you have spokent to level 1 technical help and that they put you thru to level 2 but the call got disconnected and could you be put back thru to level 2. Aol customer services is shit, but eventually they will be able to he;p you just have to persevere.

Just tell them that you cant use the Aol software and that you need to set up a ppoe connection. If they try to bullshit you just tell them exactly what youwant and they will have to give it to you.

Good luck (you need it with aol)

11. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I would STRONGLY recommend UK Online 2meg £19.99 unlimited, 33:1 contention ratio just a £25 connection fee, free modem..... I'M NOT SPAMMING DAMN IT (just an advance reply.. and I'm not Paranoid either). http://www.ukonline.net :)

12. fastfox

fastfox Member

Hi Kyle. Ive used my 7 day cooling off period to bin the twats off. Ive gone back to dail pay as you go with wanadoo antill my line has been reliesed. I did ring up for my mac code so i wouldn`t have to mess around waiting. I passed to mac code on to a new isp to be told that it wasn`t valid. Rang back aol and they said that "your accounts been closed and the mac code given to you was someone esles given to you in error"!... The realy sad thing is that wanadoo dail up is faster than aol 1 meg. When my line is clear i might give that uk online a go.
    Thanks for the help dude.