1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL Software....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ramm1t, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ramm1t

ramm1t Guest

Any1 that knows anything about AOL or alot about computers:
    Is there anyway you can connect to the internet WITHOUT having to run the AOL software?
    BUT connecting by AOL.....
    Hopefully u can help!
    Thanks!!

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Not as far as i know, but back in the day when i used AOL i simply used to connect as usual then just minimise their browser and use IE6 instead. Personally i hate AOL now, do yourself a favour and when your 12 months is up, look elsewhere 8)

3. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

I used to think the same thing, AOL Software sucks, but at last they have remedeed that problem, if you install AOL 9 you can do it. ON the AOL icon in the system tray, right click on it and from the menu select AOL Dialler, this will set up a dialler that uses the AOL Number but you do not have to load the software all the time.
    Hope this helps you

4. ramm1t

ramm1t Guest

Cheers...
    I got AOL 9... Im just searching for the system tray.. (I should know where it is im doin a BND in computers at college)
    Any guidence?
    Thanks.

5. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

LOL...
    You dont need to search too hard, just look in the bottom right corner of your screen 8)

6. ramm1t

ramm1t Guest

Start menu?
    I found AOL 9 on start menuy and in properties theres nothing about the dialler! :(

7. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

I used to have AOL, I have no idea why people dislike it. To answer your question, all you need to have running to be connected to the internet is the AOL dialer. By default the AOL dialer runs at startup, so you pretty much have an always on connection. :)

8. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

9. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

In the bottom right hand corner of your screen where the time is, Locate the AOL Icon near there and when you right click on that you will see AOL Dialler.

The dialler is not on by default, you will have to set it up. Once you set it up it will then appear in the system tray from start up and then all you have to do is double click on it and sign on with your Normal AOL name and password.

10. ramm1t

ramm1t Guest

Finally done it people!
    Thanks for all of your help!
    If any1 else suffers same problem:
    1) Go to the AOL folder (Where u downloaded it to)
    2) Locate aoltray.exe (This opens aol next to ure clock)
    3) Right click the aol logo and open AOL dialler!
    Thanks again ppl!

11. M8trix

M8trix Regular member

AOL is horrible! Over the past few years I've collected about 50 discs from them through mail and other sources! It's insane what they'll do to get more customers. A word of advice, use Internet Explorer. It's the best browser available and hasn't given me any trouble. :D

12. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

Were you just trying to lose all credibility? ;)