1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.ape file w/no .cue

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tdnow4, Jan 13, 2009.

1. tdnow4

tdnow4 Member

Hello
    I have downloaded a couple of .ape files but they have no cue files with them just a CDimage file and a small notepad file (some of which are encrypted and unreadable). I am able to play the image file w/Foobar2000 and burn the image with Nero but only as the entire image not individual tracks. I know I can manually break the image into the respective tracks using Nero editing, but is there a way to do this if there is no .cue file included w/these .ape files? Was it some kind of error that these .ape files did'nt have cue files?
    Thanks

2. zonedout

zonedout Member

you could write your own cue sheet in notepad then use save as and name it yourfilename.cue
    It's quite easy to write a cue sheet it's plain text and basically contains a list of the tracks and the times each one begins.
    You just need to listen to your long ape file and make a note of the times when each track begins in minutes:seconds:hundredths of a second.
    This is how you type it out in notepad:

TITLE "Your Album Name"
    PERFORMER "Artists Name"
    FILE "The file name of the ape file" APE

Then list the tracks like this

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Name of Track 1"
    PERFORMER "Artist name for track 1"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Name of track 2"
    PERFORMER "Artist name for track 2"
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Name of track 3"
    PERFORMER "Artist name for track 3"

and so on.
    Note the index field always starts with 01 for every track.

Below is part of a real one, the REM fields are not neccessary for it to work but you can use them too for your the genre and other stuff like the real one below:

REM GENRE "Psychedelic Trance"
    REM DATE 2004
    REM DISCID 820F2009
    REM COMMENT "EXACTAUDIOCOPY v0.95b4
    PERFORMER "Astrix"
    TITLE "Artcore"
    FILE "Astrix_Artcore.ape" APE
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Poison"
    PERFORMER "Astrix"
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Monster Remix"
    PERFORMER "Astrix"
    INDEX 01 07:32:06
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Tweeky"
    PERFORMER "Astrix"
    INDEX 01 15:12:06

Then when you finished it all in notepad choose save as, change "Save as type" from "Text Documents" to "All Files" then type your filename.cue and save it.
    You should now have a cue file that splits your album into its seperate tracks in Foobar.
    If you dont feel like doing all that you could check
    cuesheetheaven they have a database of cuesheets you may find the one for your album there.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Many audio capture apps have an option that chops up one long track into many, chopping at the silence between the tracks. These are paid for apps and will not be as accurate as zonedout's suggestion.

Once chopped, a utility like mp3tag can populate the tag info using freeDB as the source.

There may be apps that will do both steps at one time. That might be the best way since it will cut the tracks using the official time index.

What you use all depends on how lazy you are.

4. tdnow4

tdnow4 Member

Thanks zonedout and mez for your input. Sorry for the delay in my response. After some brief initial stumbling around with the notepad approach I was able to successfully create an effective .cue in notepad manually, and get it to chop up the image files into separate tracks. Thanks also for the cuesheet heaven suggestion-great resource.
    Much appreciation,
    tdnow4