1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying CD Protection?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Toiletman, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I was just wondering whether it would be possible to apply any type of CD Protection to my backups. Don't mind if it's really old but as long as there is some sort of protection that prevents just using the "Start Nero, click burn" method.

I'm lending a backup to a friend and I don't want him to burn a copy of it and claim it for himself. I bought the game legally for around $70 and I suspect he also has my cd-key for the game, therefore that's why he asked me to borrow the backup. Not a very good friend is he =P...

Thankyou for your time,
    Toiletman

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It might be easier to apply a cricket bat to your friend :)

3. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

I think there is some kind of 'protection' cant remember to exact name, but it creates a bogus file on there larger then wat the CD can hold. eg Say your CD was 600mb worth, it could create say a 400mb Bogus file on there, to do with letting it add to TOC and removing it or something, therefor if they just go into Nero and go copy, it will say there isnt enough room on the CD. :)

Regards
    CoZZa

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Now if they just goto say... here... their problems would be solved.

Toiletman: norhing you can really do to keep him from taking it ...short of not giving it to him of course :p

5. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Argh... not even the really old SecuROM protections etc? There must be a way.... I don't want my friend to burn my precious legally bought game... *sniff*

6. Praetor

You can 'modify the backup' file to make it larger than say.... 700MB but that wont be much of a deterrence ... believe me, damn near short of putting the cd image on the cd (which will be bigger than 700MB) and making him use Daemon or something will stop him. :)

7. lewis44

lewis44 Guest

Correct me if im wrong but didn't i read in another forum that you could apply a simple code or password to it ?
    Or it that just for copied cd's ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2004
  8. Praetor

You are correct in saying that however for that to work, the other party cannot know the password -- but if he wants his friend to be able to have test run of the game, password protecting the cd image file will be worthless because in order to have a test drive, he needs to know the password .... and ya... you see where this is going hehe :)

9. lewis44

lewis44 Guest

O.k not much good then !
    So in fact the password stops you using the cd alltogether ?!
    How would you do that anyway ?

10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Is there anyway to make it so the password is only for copying the cd and not reading the cd?

P.S. I still haven't given it to him yet. He's getting suspicious...

11. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

12. Praetor

LOL even with that stuff.... it's not invincible :p

13. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Well even these large companys eg Microsoft cant have it so you cant copy it :)

But.. For the 'Average' User that will just go into nero and say Copy Disc.... it will work.

Regards
    CoZZa

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

After extensive research and testing for the most part of 2 hours, I have concluded that the TZProtection there works like a dream, and it's still up to date. The others were mostly shit and too out dated.

15. Praetor

Just make sure it doesnt interfere with the copy protection that is already on the cd.

16. gelvatron

gelvatron Member

Hi, everybody, I need help, i need some guide to protect my backup of my dvds, I mean I need to find a way that make impossible to copy my vcds, my fiends need to watch my movies, but I dont want that they just copy my vcds. Thanks in advance

17. Praetor

Wont be impossible im afraid but you can try to make it more difficult by introducing some overburning.... thats usually enough to deal with amateurs

18. gelvatron

gelvatron Member

thanks, man, I understand that I need to put a lot of information in my vcd (in a diferent folder) that overzise the cd capacity in order it need be overburned, or I need only to make some changes in configuration in nero burning.
    In that case, I need a guide of the correct process.
    I only dont want my vcds copied by others.
    Thanks man.

19. Praetor

As far as enabling overburn and stuff, make sure you use high quality media (and if you've got a good burner that helps too). To enable overburning in Nero:

Select Preferences from the File menu and the proceed to the Expert Features tab. Now check the box that says Enable Overburn ... and for the three boxes, enter in the numbers 99, 0, 0 respectively. While you're here, check the next two checkboxes as well. Click Ok to close this dialog box.

20. gelvatron

gelvatron Member

I've heard about a metod to make artificially big a file in a cd, in order to not fit in another cd when soemone is trying to copi it. But I need a guide about it.