1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying filters directly to MPEG files???

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by turkey, Apr 8, 2005.

1. turkey

turkey Regular member

what's the best way to do this?

personally i have only tried to do this with Womble Mpeg Wizard, i found that the filters aren't that great and the encoding time was severe. theoretically, it should work to use Vdub Mpeg2 to frameserve a regular mpeg encoder(CCE). i am not as familiar with AVISynth as i probably should be; i don't even know if it can frameserve mpeg2...???

specifically i would like to try to apply an "undot" type filter to an mpeg-2 that was originally recorded off of VCR.

i would certainly appreciate any ideas for cleaning up mpegs.

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

hey guys and gals, i find it hard to believe no one has ever tried this...???

i know they always say that an mpeg can never look as good as its original source. but do you think that mpegs that have been run through a filter can look better than an mpeg that has not been filtered???

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Use virtualdubmod and frameserve it.
    There's got to be over 100 filters for vdub.

4. turkey

turkey Regular member

do you know where to find an "undot" type filter for vdub?

i am also curious as to whether such a method using any type of filter has been successful for you?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

I use the "Undot.dll" filter in AVISynth quite often and it is Great for getting rid of Staticy looking Noise, I then usually ass the "FluxSmooth.dll filter to get rid of any more Prominent Noise and then U use a Sharpen Filter to Sharpen the Image a Bit because the Niose Filters can blurr the Image a Bit...My results are usually Very Good and the Frameserveing is very Quick, usually Faster than V-Dub when there are multiple Filters used...

If you want something to help you write your AVISynth Scripts then check out "Gordain Knot" or a Tool called "Aviscript" which both will help you in writeing your AVISynth Scripts....

Cheers

6. turkey

turkey Regular member

thanks for the input. see i wasn't even aware that AVISynth could frameserve mpeg files. i guess i will have to take another look at the program. it has been a while. at least now i know it is possible.

thanks again.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can Frameserve Mpeg-2 files with AVISynth but you have to first use DVD2AVI to Make a D2V project file and frameserve the D2V file and not the Mpeg-2 file....

If you think you are going to have to Do some Filtering and editing then you Might consider Captureing to a Different Format Like a Low Compression AVI format because Captureing directly to Mpeg-2 is a Very Lossy process and then Re-encodeing the File to add Filters is even More Lossy so you are Probably Looseing more Quality By re-encodeing than you are Gaining by Filtering....

Try Captureing useing either the HuffYUV Lossless Codec or the PicVideo Mjpeg Codec on 19 or 20 Quality and then Frameserve that File with Filters to your Encoder...I"m sure you will Notice a Big Improvement In Quality....

Cheers

8. turkey

turkey Regular member

very nicely put Minion. the question of whether re-encoding an mpeg just to add filters is worth the risk of ending up with poorer overall video quality has always been at the back of my mind. your last post basically answers that question for me. i think that for mpegs that look like crap, some tweeking may be necessary. but the mpegs that i have look beautiful, save for the random static noise from the VCR. so you can understand my interest in the "undot" filter. otherwise these videos do not need any smoothing or sharpening. i captured in DV-avi with only a few color correcting prefilters, and encoded directly to mpeg with CCE SP. unfortunately, i can not recapture the videos, if i could i would certainly try some filters prior to encoding. but as things stand i think i will leave well enough alone....