1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archos AV500, major problems! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by qazzz, Feb 27, 2006.

1. qazzz

qazzz Member

Hi there, I had an ARCHOS AV500 for christmas and it was all going so well up untill about 4 weeks ago. Basically every time I tried to connect it to my laptop it said that "Drive F was not formatted do I want to format it now?" I didn't format it as I didn't want to loose my data but last night I gave in and formatted it. anyway since then the Archos has not worked right. the files I had on there are still there but al currupted and in gobbldy guk, and when I connect it to the laptop although it comes up as a removable disk drive it doesn't come up with ANY of the sub catagories i.e musiv, photos, videos. and anything I do put on the Archos i cannot find them on the device itself! NIGHTMARE!! basically I want to restore the factory settings and start from the beggining again but I don't know how. Any help would be VERY MUCH appriciated! Cheers

2. bergstein

bergstein Guest

I cant't offer you much help, but i was going to to get the archos av500 30gb!!! Do you think i should still get it??? If you want help talk to lethal b.

3. qazzz

qazzz Member

Hiya, the 30gb is the one I have, I cannot really fault it, as when it was wprking it was fantastic but if you do come across a problem you are on your own, there is no help available even the tech support e-mail address given in the manual doesn't exsist! Be carefull buddy!

4. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

Yes, talk to lethal b.

Bergstein,

As far as I know you can't buy the archos av500 from any retail store. What I would recommend is that you buy one (media player) from a retail store where you can buy an extended warranty and just swap out a defective model. Most places (Best Buy, Circuit City) don't even ask questions and they swap for VALUE not exact model. Check all extended warranty's thu make sure that they don't send it in for repairs. Most likey they won't cause it would cost more to fix it than to give you a new one.

5. HayleyG

HayleyG Member

I've had the same probelm.

I connected it to a computer when the battery was really low and not it won't connect to computer and just says it's a removable disk with 0 bytes used.

I rang technical support and they said i'd have to format it which totally pisses me off as there's things that i'm never going to be able to get back stored on there. The tech guy didn't sound like he was really sure either...

There's nothing wrong with mine otherwise.
    (I have a 60gb av500 which i bought in my local dixons)

If you find a way or sorting it without formatting, please email me and let me know.

6. Schwarzer

Schwarzer Member

Hi alltogether!

I own that nice Player too. I bought it over a month ago now, and i'm very happy about it.

@HayleyG:
    If you want to safe your data before Formatting the Player you could do the Following (only if the Player itself runs normal):
    If you have a big enough (for your Data) USB-Data-Stick or an external USB Hard-Drive (which is NOT Powered by the USB Port) try to use the Implemented USB-Host Function of the Archos Player!

So Plug in the delivered Host-Cord into the "USB A" Port at the top of the Player. Then you can plug your Hard Drive or your USB Stick to this Cord.
    If the Player recognizes the HD or the Stick it will start the Browser automatically. Then you can Transfer the Files from the Archos to the other Device. Do this until all your Data is safed.
    (I know, its slow because of USB 1.1, but it works and that's the most important in such a Case)

Perhaps this Helps you?

@qazzz and HayleyG:
    Formatting the Player without a Computer is easy:
    Switch on the Player
    Go to \Properties\System\
    Now hit the lowest Button on the Right next To the Screen (The "Down" Button) for a few Seconds (~3 secs)
    After that there should have appeared a new "Format HardDrive" Option

Good luck.

Cheers, Schwarzer

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  7. lacrosse

lacrosse Member

I will buy anyones AV500 for parts.... my buttons are broken on mine, and I cant get an extended warranty on a "broken" item after its broken.
    Of course legality of this would be to put it on ebay and make it secure, but if anyones interested, contact me at gybrushthreepwood@gmail.com

Thanks

8. Paris77

Paris77 Member

Oh dear, this sounds worrying. I got myself an AV 500 30gig today and do find it fairly amazing, however I've found already that it seems reluctant to switch on without being plugged in to a power source and that the buttons have stuck twice.... I think this one goes back for an exchange early next week.

One daft question, (I'm still at the "fumble about and only read the instructions if all else fails" stage. - Can someone please tell me how to convert an uploaded to PC video file to .avi so that it can be edited on Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut pro?

9. Schwarzer

Schwarzer Member

@Paris77:

Hi!
    To Convert the the Videos try using one of the Converters mentioned above.
    Or did you already test them, and they didn`t work?
    I can't test this, because I have a Gmini500 only, not the AV500.
    So I cannot record Videos.

Cheers, Schwarzer

10. Paris77

Paris77 Member

Thanks, yes I've managed to transfer and edit. I wish I could get as close to raw uncompressed video as possible because this AV 500 is really something. Fragile I guess, but what a cleaver bit of kit.