1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archos Installation Problem

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by brainman, Feb 15, 2004.

1. brainman

brainman Member

Hello,

I have the ArchosDEx DVD-RW USB 2.0 external drive and am having a strange problem. I installed this thing just fine the first time and Windows XP found and loaded the correct USB storage device drivers. But, I recently reorganized the mess of wires and electrical cables behind my PC and powered everthing down. Now, when I plugged the drive into the USB port, Windows says I'm installing a new USB storage device, but it can't locate the drivers. Now I have downloaded and installed the latest USB drivers from Archos's website, but still XP does not accept any of those files as the correct driver. How can I reinstall this drive correctly? Is this Archos drive a piece of crap? Luckily I got it free through my workplace. So far it's been a real hassle. Should I toss it out and buy something better? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
    Tom

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You might try reinstalling the drivers through windows - meaning when you connect the drive and windows asks you for a location of the drivers you want then point it to the new drivers you downloaded and if the new drivers don't work then point it to the drivers on the original install disc.

You can also do this through the Add New Hardware tab in the control panel.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Bald is Beautiful[/small]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  3. brainman

brainman Member

Thanks for the reply. Amazingly, the drive now seems to be working fine! I did nothing except unplug the drive from the USB port for a day, added a USB printer and re-plugged in the DVD burner to the USB port. This is the first time XP has acted weird for me when installing something new. Oh well, I'll see how burning DVDs goes and maybe give an update when I'm well into it. Thanks again. This site is a great resource for me. Keep it up.

Sincerely,
    Tom (Brainman)