1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Aritas Shit?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by SabreLord, Jan 31, 2004.

1. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I recently purchased a huge quantity of Arita DVD-R 1x and the first two movies I backed up were pausing like there was no tomorrow. I usually use Ritek Overprints and these have never paused.

The Aritas are allegedly G03, is it possible I have been palmed of with a load of duds?

Purchased from ukdvdr. Does anyone else have similar problems with Aritas. Movies were captured with Dycrypter, DVD2One and burned with Nero.

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Damn bad luck, mate. I've used Aritas in the past, quite a few actually, and i can honestly say i had no probs with them. They were of the +R, 4x variety however. Your Rip/ Compress/ Burn method is exactly the same as mine. Sounds like a shite batch, try sendin' them back !

Dene

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I haven't had any problems with playing Arita DVD+R , but I havent tried burning anything to the -R variety (my burner being -RW 'only')
    I usually go for the slightly more expensive Grade A RITEK G04 X4 DVD-R (purple top w/ Ritek brand name) or Traxdata (Ritek G04 dye) X4 DVD-R...

Usually order from blankdiscshop.co.uk myself , as I know they will take returns (if dubious batch).

I too use the process you've descibed above SabreLord , so I would definitely say it's down the media (especially if G04 Riteks behave immaculately).

Let me know if I can be more help ... if indeed I was any ! lol

herbs

4. mrbishop1

mrbishop1 Member

i have used arita 1x for a long time now they are actually 2x and ritek i use dvd shrink 3 then veritas record now piece of cake and very easy no probs at all

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Arita is a very quality disc. The reason for discrepencies in terms of quality is the way in which it is bundled. They only come in Shrink wrap and not in spindles, therefore, the stress of shipping can affect the discs.

6. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

My Aritas came in spindles of 25 but some of them were so badly damaged it was unbelievable. I backed up a dvd yesterday and after 2 hours it was on 69%. It froze on 69%.

I sent an email of complaint to the company I purchsed from and they didn't even have the manners to reply. All I can suggest is never use UKDVDR as their customer service is terrible.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Your Aritas came in Spindles? Now that is strange. They leave the Ritek factory in shrink wrap only. UKDVDR must have spindled them themselves.

8. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I bet they dropped a few of them onto their dusty warehouse floor as they were putting them into the spindles. Probably explains why so many of them are turning out to be duff.

Now you come to mention it, quite a few of the spindles were cracked, wouldn't surprise me if they got a load of reject spindles from somewhere.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah it is strange. I might actually try and find out why they are supplied in spindles and whether they are supplied legitimately, though it may be a lot of hassle and ill probably forget.

10. herbsman

lol @ I'll probably forget !!

What I would say to sum up on this thread is , I do NOT trust Ritek G03 because even with f/w upgrade they were hit & miss at max burn speed for me.
    Might be because I have an ancient Pioneer 104 possibly , but anyway I always go for G04 Ritek's & have done for a quite a while now...

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yep, you know me and its probably true. Sorry, wasnt there for MSN that u were sending me. I'll message u when ur about.

Oooh...and agree with the Ritek G03, it was a decent disc, but cant compare to the G04 dye, or the newer R03 Dye

12. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

only ever used 1 pack of 25 and they were all fine:) but silver datawrite work for Me

13. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I bought a bargain dvd player today. A Pacific 1002w and it plays all those dodgy aritas I had with no problems. I still don't understand why the Arita riteks were inferior to the Traxdata and Datawrite ones.

The Pacific player cost me £40 from Asda and has so far played everything I have chucked at it Ritek, Princos etc.

14. herbsman

Sabrelord , I told everyone about the Pacific 1002 in the UK @ ASDA ages ago.

Dont like to suggest to people that they go out & buy a player that they know will definitely play back ups ... cos folk get all 'well I already have a DVD Player & I want that one to play back ups'
    lol

Glad to hear that you happy now ;-)

[ 4 of my mates own a Pacific 1002 btw - [bold]lmao[/bold] ]

15. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Herbsman do you know the difference between the 1002 and the 1002w?

Seems amazing that it was only a few months ago when Asda sold the 1002 for £80 and now the 1002w is only £40.

16. herbsman

17. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

Arita
    i usualy by the cheapest media i can find and i dont have any problems with "lower" brands- but i bought a 25 batch of Arita 2.4x DVD+R and half the discs came back scratched- i emailed and called and got the usual run around. now im out $40 :(

18. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

This may not be totally relevant, but in the states Arita is supplied in a spindle. I believe it is placed in the spindle from the manufacturer though. I was also curious, is the Ridata better than the Arita disc? Also, how can I find out if it is the Ritek G03 or G04 dye?

19. herbsman

The RiData is a great disc (but again [bold]G04[/bold]).
    Mos good sites will have a disc code inthe desciption beside a picture of the media.
    I use * http://blankdiscshop.co.uk for instance , and if you look through..say...DVD-R(RW) section.
    You will see there is a code , if you're normally buying from a site that doesn't give these details ... you could ask them to supply details in a reply to your questioning in an e-mail (most companies are open to customer feedback/requests).
    Or simply find a site that does offer lots of info & perhaps even show a compatibilty chart ;)

peace

* Not advertising that media shop btw , just one that I use fairly regularly. Just to show the disc codes...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Just want to calrify that Aritas are not batched in spindles in the factory. As suggested by mastaprk it is usually the distributor who spindles them for resale in differing bundles to what they ordered from the factory. Scratched discs should always be replaced by the distributor, if they dont, make sure not to use the same shop, and remember it may not be an Arita problem.