1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are blu-ray discs protected?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by pkrillo, Jan 8, 2012.

1. pkrillo

pkrillo Member

Historically, it has been said that oil/grease (such as from fingerprints) residue on optical media (CDs, DVDs) can damage the discs over time by degrading the polycarbonate surface, eventually rendering the discs unusable.

Well, I'm wondering if this still holds true for the blu-ray format? All blu-ray discs are supposed to be protected with a scratch-resistant, anti-static coating.

Does this coating also protect the disc from foreign substances (such as oils or chemicals) from contaminating the disc and causing it to physically degrade over time?

In other words, will greasy residue (or some other kind of harmful substance) break down the special coating that blu-ray discs have like it would a CD or DVD?

Or does the coating also provide protection against that?

2. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Yes they wear Trojan condoms, used ones...

Just keep them clean and stored in a jewel case. If they are dirty use a 50/50 mixture of H20 and 91% Isopropyl alcohol with a non abrasive cloth.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. killalot

killalot Active member

The coating is to stop them getting scratched under normal circumstances,if you run a knife over it your need to buy a new disk.If the disk is left in direct sunlight or near a constant heat source i.e a radiator it will degrade the life of the disk.If they get dirty just use a lint free cloth and some water keep them out of sunlight and in the case and they should out last you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. coorva

coorva Regular member

i use a toaster to fix my scratched discs,