1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are budget boxes going to kill the scene

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by tongs007, Mar 29, 2013.

1. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

I have recently seen a lot of posts on facebook selling pages offering a service that includes a F3 box with a years sub flashed and fitted for £200 and a lot of people are buying these, The people selling them aint secret about it and even give there numbers out on an open page. i think budget boxes are a good idea but there being abused now, its simple to buy a box for 50 quid annd get cheap tv, but the amount of people now jumping on the scene is going to be ridiculous, any thoughts?

2. e45

e45 Regular member

wont be long now and it will be no longer!! its in the air HD will go first then the rest will follow, too many on the bandwagon now, the whole concept is out of control.

It should have been kept under wraps, next time maybe.

3. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

The only reason moved to sat is i wasnt happy with the kv, never looked back with the share i finally got on to, but my box was 190 quid, now with these 50 quid boxes and people sharing on them its out of hand, If boxes werent so cheap there would be none of this 200 quid for a box and a years sub, if there was no budget boxes the ads would be like this, sick of paying for sly buy a box off me and get all channels, one off payment for cheapest box and 400£ in one go

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. e45

e45 Regular member

As i say its not long now and it will be gone for good and people will have no choice but to go back to cable, maybe the next time sky is cracked it will be kept underground.

5. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Same as the cable boxs, got to commercial, people openly selling them, brought the eye down on everything and the cable companies implemented N3, Sat is going the same way, HD first and then the rest may follow, who knows,

6. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

i know and ive known it for a while about sky working in the background, its on its last legs

7. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

The cheaper boxes are definitely a great idea but not the cause of killing the scene, the cause in my opinion are the lazy buggers who just want everything plug and play and ready to go and because boxes are getting so cheap and they are been sold with a 12 month line on them for very small amounts of money the lazy buggers will just keep on buying them.

When sly HD does start to disappear and if followed the rest, all these lazy buggers will be gone leaving only the enthusiasts again, motorized dishes will be the order of the day as FTA European channels may be the only choice for a while and that would be too much hard work for the lazy buggers.

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

but then you have Joseph Bloggs who bought a 12 month sub and the channels are only FTA after 2 month, are these creeps coming out of the wood work offereing £60 a year?

9. popeye10

popeye10 Regular member

ok i'll be the first to say it.........
    the biggest problem is forums like this.
    when i heard about cheap premium tv years ago i was told to google "eurovox setup" one of the top most promising results was an Afterdawn post, after reading it i signed up as a member and had a box set up and running the next day.
    i'm not blaming Afterdawn here, there were 10's of forums all offering help, most you didn't have to be a member of to read the material.
    when nagra all but killed the cable scene, i heard cardshare was the future, once again google was my friend and the ease of getting the required information on suppliers of cheap equipment, and payservers was astonishing.
    there are people that are not very tech savvy, others that are "lazy" and need feed-spooning information, and so they form a market for the sharks that provide a cheap receiver and an unreliable C-line.
    but those sharks, or rather 'entrepreneurs' were just people like ourselves that found the information readily available but some get greedy and exploit the lazy market.

all innovations in hacking start off underground and for a while everything is ok, then someone goes and posts info on a forum and BOOM! the end is already starting.

thats my two pennies.

10. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

@ Popeye. spot on some points, but its the nature of people to ask questions and forums like this will always be there, for sat, cable, PC's etc, its when it turns into a business, then its goes sour, history has shown us that, just look at the cable scene. I am a firm believer of reading and not spoon-feeding anyone, especially when the info is there and folks have gone to the hassle of doing tuts etc, Regarding plug and play I am not in agreement, thats the way technology is gone, user friendly, from boxs to near everything, usb and thats it, I used to read posts about Linux and some of the answers and snobbery would piss ya off, not everyone was like that mind.

11. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Agree With Popeye and Mickah , with tuts on forums like this ,the setting up of a cardshare was handy enough and putting bouquets , picons , plug-ins like you tube and 1chanell on the box is just as handy . I think if sky does put an end to card sharing the stb will be used for internet tv and that kind of viewing is getting better , icefilms for example has hd options altough still a bit unstable I do think internet is the way these boxes are going

12. gerrard08

gerrard08 Regular member

This doesnt sound good at all, although you guys are talking alot of sense

13. camile1

camile1 Member

i agree with comments expressed re cardsharing.however i think the big question is,
    why hasnt sky pulled the plug on cardsharing?they are fully aware of its extent,yet to
    date have done nothing.is it a case that todate they are happy with revenue from the
    providers of card sharing or thats its too expensive to pull the plug,possibly having
    to replace millions of their older boxes in the process?

14. cactikid

cactikid Active member

dont worry coming to a screen near you maybe a blank screen,remember sky has not been cracked and do you not think they have something up their sleeves i do,so its wait and see
    are they testing slight changes first before going all out changeover.enjoy it while you can.

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Yip, a lot of high ECMS in the past while, there are millions of boxs there in Ire and UK which are used to share, those will have to be taken out of circulation and the new boxs provided, I am thinking more on the lines of the pairing thats gonna trip the boxs up, but like anything, enjoy what ya have and worry about it when it comes

16. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Hi MICKAH,,

Would you have an idea of when this would happen?

Would you be talking about a months time? 3 months? 6 months?

As the saying goes,, "All good things must come to an end" ..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  17. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

to those who run a private share it will be thank god when sky put an end to it. for enhusiasts the fun is in making the breakthru. the pain from then on is sorting out individual users on the share who have been shown and reshown how to achieve basic tasks. so i'll happily cancel my sub, add a dvb-t tuner to the duo for irish channels, have my fta channels and icefilms when i want to watch a movie. will miss the sports channels but thats about it.

as to if it will in fact happen. in truth i have seen none of the high ecm times mentioned. entitlements still update. so its carry on regardless. it has been whispered for years that all would eventually end and i'm sure it will. not much point in worrying about it

18. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Thanks for the reply fintannl.

19. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

What will be will be, it can't be undone. "C'est la vie"

20. menace404

menace404 Member

I have heard plans to send new cards out to subscribers with the card securely encased in some sort of steel sleeve. For viewing to continue you must replace your current card with this one in your sly box. If you attempt to remove the card from the sleeve (and place it in a third party stb), it tears the gold contacts on the card and renders it useless. You will then need to contact sly for a replacement card at a cost to you.
    The card in the steel sleeve is too thick to put into a a third party box and will only fit in the card slot of a standard branded sly box.
    This method is the most cost effective method of stopping cardsharing without having to replace millions of sly boxes. As far as I know an Irish company came up with the idea and have also put forward the idea to the likes of Sly Germany, Sly Italy, Canal+ in France etc etc. Superb entrepreneurs in my view. They saw a gap in the market and are now providing a cost effective solution to the piracy.