1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are hauppauges ok?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by BadFrame, Mar 18, 2005.

1. BadFrame

BadFrame Member

I want to buy wintv fm pci card, and am interested in how is it's video quality?

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

most cards have adjustable video quality. So you can set it as high as you want. the thing to remember is that no matter how HIGH you set it, it will ONLY be as good as the TV signal coming in.

For BEST results grab a cable TV booster and hook it up just before it goes into the PC. Then you will have a very clear image and sound.

3. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

are you talking about a stabilizer?

4. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I guess you could call it a stabilizer. A 25 db one or something is best. Unless for some reason you get perfectly clear TV now.

I notice with my tv card when I watch it on my PC the image looks a little snowy on my 17 lcd. But thats mostly because you are taking an image that is 320 x 240 native and stretching to to be at least 800 x 600. In my case 1280 x 1024.

I record on the second lowest video quality. It makes a one hour show take up about 1.4 gb's of space. When I burn it onto a DVD and watch it on my 32" flat screen the picture looks MUCH clearer than if I was just watching that show on the TV in the first place. I am not sure if this is because the cable running to the PC is just a better quality ( I used commercial grade cable so the middle wire is HUGE), or if the tv card somehow makes the image better?

I was using a stabilizer for a bit, but I didnt notice any real difference in the quality when I did it that way.