1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are my speakers being ruined?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by caza125, May 15, 2006.

1. caza125

caza125 Member

hi this is probably the wrong place to put this but i couldnt find anwhere else. I have these loudspeakers and they have 2 6" midranges a dome tweeter and a 10" sub on the side but the sub is not in another chamber and the sub bashes out the midrange speakers but when i unplug the sub they dont move at all, will this ruin my midrange speakers?. (p.s it is ported)

2. codydog

codydog Regular member

There should be a baffle covering the midrange in my opinion. In the speakers I built, I used a heavy plastic bowl, "see tupperware," covered the back of the mid speaker with it and hot glued it into place. It should help limit distortion to the midrange.

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Your midrange will still have crossovers ... what kind of speakers are these first of all? ...are you using a seperate sub or are these speakers active?

4. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

gerry1 and codydog,I see we all have the same interests...anyway I too would like to know what kind of speakers these are.Almost all recent speaker designs implement a sub enclosure around either the woofer or midrange unless the midrange has a sealed back...thus eliminating any acoustic energy interference.

Isolating the mids by either tupperware and some RTV or the old margerine tub trick filled with some acoustic dampening material would probably be a good idea.

Remember that every speaker can be tweaked and just because someone designed it does not mean they did it right!

5. codydog

codydog Regular member

What he said.

6. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@codydog>LMAO!

@caza 125,could you provide a link to these speakers or atleast give us the make and model..I would definately like to check them out.

7. GrayArea

GrayArea Member

Does not sound like ideal speaker design. Unless the sub is causing the midrange drivers to "bottom out" (move past the excursion point they are designed for) they are probably not being harmed. I suppose the extra excursion could wear out the midrange surrounds or the spiders prematurely, but the speakers will most likely be retired for other reasons long before that happens. Do they sound good with the subs running? If they sound good to you IMHO if they ain't broke, don't fix 'em.

8. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Well my take on all this is as follows...these 6" speakers are probably not midranges at all, they are most likely used to produce the midrange/midbass and would have some cone excursion playing this role, but without knowing what they are... all of this is speculation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
  9. codydog

codydog Regular member

Yeah, most mids are sealed anyway. My aren't but they required a separate enclosure. Sorry about the response lag, they won't let newbies post but every three minutes, my kids sick too, had to Dr. him.

10. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Cd,Sorry to hear about your kid,I hope he gets well soon and for the noob status that should be changing for you soon also.

11. codydog

codydog Regular member

You have posted 124 messages to our discussion forums since you created your account on 3 May 2006. What my acct says right now. I know what I know, I help if I can, throw in an educated guess or two. I wish I had this much support when I first got interested in big boy toys.

12. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Cd,the upgrade process is running a bit slow because of the changes being made and as you know safety valve posts won't count,hell I've got about 800 or so and am still a member.All in good time,I guess.

As for big boy toys..I see you like yours too.You should see/hear some of mine,and yes I've built my share of speakers too!I have a great pair sitting in a closet that will blow away the "designer" speakers in the living room but the wife says they're old looking and ugly.I guess real walnut is not in anymore! lol!

13. codydog

codydog Regular member

No, it's either plastic, black gloss on composite board, or metal. I've only got walnut laminate, but their close to 20 years old, and with just an 80x amp will knock the collectibles off the shelves. I can smell the Old English and Liquid Gold now.

14. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Yeah,I know what you mean.The speakers I've got in the living room are cherrywood piano type finish,nice to look at but nothing compared to my 90 lb. beasts in the closet driven by my Phase Linear 400.Oh Yeah!
    Block party!

15. codydog

codydog Regular member

Look at Crutchfield, it used to be, Cerwin Vega, 12" to 15" woofers. Now it is Klipsch, "or however the hell you spell it," thin towers and Bose. But either change or be a dinosaur. That's why I'm here. I had to find new interest, or renew old ones. Good place to do it. Sorry "caza125," didn't mean to tie up your thread. Just a couple of cavemen drawing stick people on the wall. CD

16. caza125

caza125 Member

these speakers are my own design...lmao. the sub tweeter and mid are all being powered by the same output and i have mad a crosseover. I once put the sub in a spearate chamber but it sounded really bad so i think i might do what codydog said and just have a baffle over the mids, the mids and tweeters are just sum pioneer speakers i picked up and the sub is a soundstream USA10 which hase a dual voice coil so it is wired in seires and have had no problems with the sub being serised.

17. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Sounds like a plan,I think you'll notice a big difference in clarity.Let us know how they turn out.

18. caza125

caza125 Member

ok thanks for the advice guys. btw they sound really gud at the moment especially after i pt the low pass filter on.

19. codydog

codydog Regular member

caza125, if you don't already have them, I can post in my blog equations to build boxes to the speakers specifications. Also tuning ports, and other stuff I forgot long ago but would be glad to look up for you.

20. caza125

caza125 Member