1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are resolutions dependant on the graphics card?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xKratosx, Feb 7, 2007.

1. xKratosx

xKratosx Member

Probably a silly question, but I've just recommended to my parents friends that they should get a 19" widescreen monitor (their 17" has just broken) but then shortly after realised they've only got onboard graphics (SiS 741 Rev 00 if that helps) and their computer's a few years old so I'm not sure if it'll work or not. Oh, btw, HannsG or Video7, or not a lot in it? :) Cheers!

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

they could still run 1024x768, i'm sure. yeah, resolution depends on cards, but most cards made in the last several years run some pretty high resolutions. it's gaming where the real difference is made.

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

yes all internal cards within the past 6 years have been doing at least 1280x768 AGP Add on ones have been doing alot mor efor alot longer.

4. xKratosx

xKratosx Member

The resolution I need is 1440 x 900 - I guess I'll just have to buy it and give it a try, if it doesn't work I'll update the on board graphic drivers and if it still doesn't work then; give the widescreen monitor to my parents and then get another one (17" normal probably) for their friends.

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

I'd say go for it to me it looks like it will do it it dosent look too bad for a built in chip,
    Id say 90% it will support it.
    Good Luck!
    Even though you wont need it,Let us know if it worked.