1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you able to change to new gen iPod at Bestbuy?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by mewse, Oct 18, 2005.

1. mewse

mewse Member

Hey, well [bold]I'm an iPod owner and have the special service plan for it[/bold] which is basically just a warranty for it.

So, [bold]I have a 3rd Gen iPod[/bold], I've been wanting to make a switch.

A friend told me to just break it and talk them into giving me the newer generations. I was first for it, but thought that I wasn't in that big of a rush to get the new generation iPod.

But then the video iPod came along. Now, I'm deperate.

[bold]So here's the question.[/bold]

Can I just go in and ask to change my 3rd gen to a Vid iPod?

I really don't want to sell it on ebay and use that money to get a new iPod. So if anybody knows for a fact that I can, or can't please tell me. [bold]Thanks in advance.[/bold]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

nope, no chance. the difference in value is well over £100. not only the value, but they just don't do it!

i'm afraid you'll have to

a) sell& save
    b) keep your current ipod
    c) wait a little for xmas reductions/sales etc

Lethal

3. pzychotic

pzychotic Member

As you can not get a new 5gen Ipod with their service plan you may be able to get store credit for the Ipod and pay the difference for the new one. You have to first find out what the service plan covers, then make sure that they don't sell the old ipods there anymore (otherwise they might justswitch it out), then break your current ipod where it is covered under warranty and they will give you the store credit and you can pay the difference for the new one. I believe they will give you credit because they will not try to repair it as it would have to be sent to apple. depending on the size of your Ipod you might not have to pay that much.
    I am pretty sure this is what will happen as I worked for BestBuy 4 years ago and I also do this type of thing with their service plans.

4. mewse

mewse Member

After reading [bold]pzychotic[/bold]'s post, it makes me questioned. My [bold]cell phone[/bold] has a Product [bold]Replacement[/bold] Plan as to my iPod has a [bold]Performance Service Plan.[/bold]

But [bold]before[/bold], my iPod actually had something wrong with the OS and [bold]I took it in and got a brand new one.[/bold]

Does that mean that I can get a new iPod due to "water damage"?

And to [bold]Lethal B[/bold], I guess I kinda worded my question wrong. More than asking for a new one, I meant, take in a disfunctioning iPod and getting a new iPod with my coverage plan. And I would be willing to pay that value difference.

And also, I thought Apple wont let BestBuy or, any store change the iPod's prices. Or do the Apple people actually have the Sales durring Christmas?

Well again, Thanks in advance.

5. LifesBane

LifesBane Member

Here's where it gets fun:
    iPods used to be under the PRPs, in which case if the unit was fouled up, other than physical / accidental damage, you would get a store-credit voucher equal to what you had paid at the time. You can then apply that towards any product of your choosing. Meaning you can pay the difference and get a higher end one if you so choose.

iPods then later switched over to the PSP. It gets a little bit less fun. Under the PSP, your iPod must be sent out to a service center, and again it can not be from physical / accidental damage (water, dropping, etc). The service center will then attempt to service the item. If it is economical, the service will be completed and the iPod will be shipped back to the store. If whatever repairs that are needed are not economical, the service center will give the store an RA number, contact you, and then you will be able to come into the store for a new item.
    The last thing though is that the PSP does have a no lemon policy. If, after servicing it 3 times, you bring it in for a fourth repair, it will be sent out to the service center for them just to make sure it's a PSP covered problem, and then they will send an RA number to the store and you can swap out the item for the closest matching product under the PSP.
    Now, on both cases of either the item not being economical for a repair, or if it's a PSP swap under the No Lemon policy, it may be possible to pay for the difference and upgrade to a new model. That is more than likely going to depend on who you deal with at the store. I do not think it is written into the PSP anywhere specifically, but I know it to have been done in the past.
    The real game comes when figuring out the "price" difference, as of course, prices fluxuate over time. So, if you do go in and it is a PSP and you have met a condition where you can swap it, definitely ask and say you are more than willing to pay the difference and upgrade to a higher model. Here is what really helps-- tell them you will buy the PSP on the new item. I'm serious, it will. Managers in some stores will sometimes be a bit more leniant if they know you are going to be buying the service with the item as well.

As always though, just make sure damage you are trying to get fixed is stuff covered by warranty and that it's something a service center can reproduce (as they can and will attempt to diagnose your problem... they don't just fix what is said is wrong with it). Even under your PSP, if a unit is sent back with "No Fault Found", you will get charged a $24.95 shipping / services fee at most locations. Again, things not covered are going to be physical / accidental damage, things like spilling water into it, etc. If you've got a clicking hard drive, but a huge dent in the case right over the hard drive, chances are the service center may try to pin this damage on you :p.

Anyways, I hope that info can be of some use to you. You can probably guess as to why I know so much about it ;)

6. mewse

mewse Member

[bold]Thank you for that reply.[/bold] That cleared up some stuff and noticed that some of that was even on the actual Service Plan booklet thing.

Now, [bold]what if[/bold] something like.. magnets! I mean, [bold]midgets use their forces on the iPod and accidently mess up the OS?[/bold] Well, I don't know if they can just put on the OS again if the midgets mess up the OS.. But is that possible?

Ohhh.. I need a plan.

I didn't see any specific rules but if that was against any rules on the forums, I appologize. =P