1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you getting tired of Halo yet? If so, play BLACK.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Games' started by TheReturn, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Unreal55

Unreal55 Member

HALO IS XBOS BEST GAME HO CAN U EVR GET TIRED OF IT. USE SYSTEM LINK OR XBOX LIVE.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

You can have your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.
    Halo is a great game, don't get me wrong. But compare the 2 games side by side and you will see that Halo ripped off a lot from Half-Life, which was out 3 years before the Xbox was even released!
    It won over 50 game of the year awards from various sources and is widely regarded as the "founding father" of the modern day first person shooter games.

"1998 Game of the Year, Half-Life was developed by Valve Software.
    From it's release, Half-Life went on to win over 50 "Game of the Year" awards from various publications. This of course was no suprise, Half-Life introduced a whole different world to the FPS gamers, and is still a benchmark for even the most recently released games.

Furthermore, Half-Life's success didn't just fade out over time, the more creative fans in the community took it upon themselves to keep the game alive for many years by developing their own modifications, some of which were almost more of a success than the original title - can anyone say Counter-Strike?

In conclusion, Half-Life set new standards, and then proceeded to break them itself, what more can you ask for in a game?"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  3. Unreal55

Unreal55 Member

Is black worth getting, you cant play online

4. handsom

handsom Regular member

First off, yes, Black is worth getting; although if you wait a month or two, it really should go down ten or twenty bucks; this is just the way EA has been doing things lately.

Now, on to my confusion...

What exactly did Halo rip off from Half Life? True, they are both science fiction. And yes, you shoot things in both of them. But it seems to me that the storylines are fundamentally different here. One involves a huge interplanetary adventure to stop an entire alien race from destroying the universe. And the other is wrapped up in government conspiracies to cover up everything they can.

I understand that they both have aliens, but I can no more use that fact to say that X Files ripped off Star Trek. And ironically, the similarities between Halo and Half-Life seem identical.

As for the gameplay, it doesn't even seem like they tried to go similar. Half-Life focused a lot on platform jumping, and picking foes off one at a time. Whereas Halo was much more gung ho, in large open areas, about taking out a mass of enemies, particularly enemies that had some tendency to be bigger than you (Save the little peons).

The art and graphics styles were completely different; one focused on dank, run-down looking facilities. The other focused on high tech industrial neon glow starships and ancient alien artifacts.

Vehicles were certainly not stolen from Half-Life; if anything it's quite the other way around. I don't know if you recall how much similar driving the buggy around in HL2 feels to Halo's control...

I think I've gone into every facet except multi-player here. The multiplayer very uniquely different. The standard half-life multi player was, let's be honest here, Horrible. Absolutely horrible. Now before anyone rips me a new one for this, hear me out. There was a great experience to be had with Half Life online. That experience was through the mods. Not the original game. Particularly Counter Strike, and what now feels like a long forgotten TFC. (Warm and fuzzy thoughts of TFC)And as great as these were, they were not Half-Life. They were other programmers ideas for great things to do with the engine. They were huge successes, and I applaud them. But they are not Half-Life. They are an alternative in the same engine. I realize that there are many other HL mods that have come and gone that deserve a lot of attention, if I did not name your favorites, I apologize, I simply named the biggest two.

As for Halo's multiplayer, it was actually good, right out of the box. Four players with one copy of the game, and sixteen with linked xbox's. It was fun, had maps that felt completely new, and stayed fresh for a long time.

Half-Life's multiplayer mods were great; but I don't know anyone who liked it's standard multiplayer for more than one round. It was very dull, IMO.

Now; I hope this doesn't come across as a flame. I swear I don't mean for that. I am simply a baffled by this argument that I hear all over the net; and I am completely at a loss, trying to figure out how on earth one ripped off the other.

I would like to also remind everyone of one very interesting thing about Halo. The level design, the storyline, the ideas for multiplayer, the mechanics for which the vehicles were to operate. Were all made a long time ago. Bungie realized a long long time ago, that better hardware was needed to be able to handle the physics calculations, and they waited for systems that could do that with good graphics. If you go back and research it; you might find that the drawings, the story work, even a large part of the physcis algorithms were all created just after obtaining the original copyright for Halo.... In 1985. I understand that to those of you reading that bit for the first time, the instant reaction is "Bull****", but please research before calling me on this.

Please don't think I'm saying at all that HL coplied Halo. I want to make sure that is not thought. Because they are so fundamentally different.

I just don't see the same similarities as you, and I am genuinely interested in hearing what similarities it is that brought you to this conclusion.

Again, I'm not trying to start a flame war, and I'm not trying to rub anyone's face in anything. I like to get all my facts on the table, and then hear what someone else has to say.

I'll definitely be checking this board, this is very interesting to me.

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Wait, even though Half Life has won a lot fo awards but it still can't compare to Halo in 3D graphic. Halo is more sharp and clear but Half-Life isn't.

Myself, I pick Halo over HalfLife.

6. handsom

handsom Regular member

Indeed, although Halo had a lot more time to polish that. Seeing as so much of the game design was already done. I'm not bringing them down here; it's just to be assumed that with all the time and energy put into it, one would really hope that it looks good.

Although I think that a lot of the style differences attribute to that heavily too.

They're both great titles in their own right; as are their sequels. I've logged hundreds of hours on all of them. I just can't grasp people's need to make a comparison that seems as sensible as comparing a game of chess to a tuna sandwich.

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I can through your post that you like both of them. I actually played a little bit at the begining of Half Life. I saw people, guns, boat and forest are not sharp and clear. That is why I stopped playing it.

Well if you can give me great reasons, I may give it another try.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I like both HL2 and Halo, but for totally different reasons..HL2 plays more like a ps1 game, it's a bit rough and ready but I think the overall playability is high, and the story is great...

Halo had the WOW! factor..It was the first thing I saw on an xbox, you land in the lifeboat pod and step outside and.....Wooooooooo...I mean that is a never to be repeated experience..We've had it now and I don't think I will ever get that feeling again from a games console...That's why people will always love Halo..

Maybe that's why the 360 isn't doing so well..there hasn't been a game out yet with the kind of jaw dropping experience the first few moments of halo has..

I think Black does something similar in the graphics department..If you never seen an xbox before the game will change your life and you will end up loving it and flaming anyone who finds fault with it..

Now I'm in a bit of a privileged position here..being a tester for a scene group I get nearly every game before they hit the shops..(yup even Barbie Horse Adventures!!) so I suppose I'm a bit spoiled for choice..A game has to be really something special, or do something different or whatever to hold my attention further than the cursory once through the first few levels for testing the rip!
    Black managed this, as did HL2 and both Halo's..Other games I finished and have been back to since include XIII, Jet Set Radio Future, Max Payne 1&2, Project Zero, Munch's Oddysee and Still Life..IMHO some of the best games ever...There are a lot of un-imaginative dull badly coded games out there (simpsons hit&run comes to mind) but there are some real gems...Morrowind has to be the best value for money ever..The graphics suck but how much game is there?? I played for 50ish hours before I discovered there was actually a mission.(I killed someone and a few minutes later the game asked me if I wanted to continue playing in the doomed world I had created..he must have been important to the plot,, just some dude in a house!) So there you have it.. My 50 cents..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2006
  9. handsom

handsom Regular member

HL*2* was rough looking? Like a PS1 game? I could not be one bit more confused right about now. It sounds like you're describing HL1 on a *very* bad system. I'm not sure. That point aside; I play far too many games, and really don't spend a lot of time with a title if it doesn't interest me. Both of the HL titles, as well as the Halo titles have held plenty of interest for me. They have unique storylines that serve very well. (I will not defend Halo 2's ending, there is no defense, it was weak sauce.)

Um, as for this comment:
    I'm thinking you played something else. As in something else completely and entirely different. Because what you have described is not actually IN the first Half Life. So; I'm not at all sure of what you even played. As for sharp and clear, it's a computer game. That's really up to your hardware and how you set it up. Sharp and clear should never be an issue; especially on a pc. Technology is really past that point. Perhaps you meant another word or phrase, if so, I would be glad to hear more. I'm not trying to pick at you or anything; it just sounds from your description, about 300% positive that you have HL horribly confused with some completely different title that I can't even think of. Because there is no forest scene *anywhere* in Half Life.

From the looks of it, you either have this game confused with something else, or you might have mistyped. Not sure. But the scene you described sounds a LOT closer to farcry than Half Life. It's really about the only major PC game I can think of with much forest lately.

10. pcrazy99

pcrazy99 Regular member

I played half life 2 on xbox and thought it was a great game. I'm playing black right now and it's a great game too just in a different way. I'm stuck at the end though keep getting my butt kicked in the warehouse by those stupid rpg guys.

11. handsom

handsom Regular member

They are both decent titles; although I really feel that HL2 is best enjoyed on PC, but the xbox port certainly wasn't bad (Especially at $20) although I wish they had waited for the 360, as they were considering doing; nicer graphics would've been easy; and they could have really allowed some sort of online play; maybe even integrated with the pc version. How cool would that have been?

But yes. Both good titles.

Although; I do have to say that as far as 'story' goes, Black was weak. Honestly. The videos were as cheesy and pointless as NFS:MW's. They were really good for getting some food, or using the bathroom though... No good story on black. Single player is *fun* but there might as well be no story. GRAW had a much better plot, and Clancy games aren't exactly known for strong plot lines...

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  12. flip22

flip22 Member

has anybody unlocked the m16a2(m2o3)gun its awesome you get it when you beat game on black ops mode.i know an easy way to beat the last level pay atention. first before you get to the bunkers their will be dudes shoting at you with saw's(M249's)kill them their should be a hidden rpg lying around somewhere get it DO NOT WAIST AMMO SAVE IT UNTIL YOU REACH THE FINAL BATTLE.then kill every body before the bunkers there sould be rpg guys shooting at you dont worry about them go on the balcony (the one with 2 rooms)shoot the machine guners in the bunkers when you kill them more machine gunners will come out NOW HERES YOUR CHANCE SHOOT AT BUNKERS WITH RPG UNTIL YOUR AMMO RUNS OUT THEY SHOULD EXPLODE GO THROUGH THE BUNKERS BAM! you beat the mission and the game

13. Turk05

Turk05 Member

Yo loved da game, da weapons,blak op, but I HATE CLIFF HANGERS

14. liljohn41

liljohn41 Member

Halo2 and black are both great. However storylines in black are harder to follow, they move too fast and talk too softly, I start the mission and i have no clue the purpose of it. Gameplay is superior to any game i have played thusfar. It is every much addicting once i start, but i always have problems choosing this game because i bought it for ps2 when my cousin gave me his 360 the same time.

15. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

OH!!! i wanna get this game so bad!!!! I'm so broke because i my car broke down. none of my friends have "XBOX".

16. handsom

handsom Regular member

Rofl. This thread is HOW old?

Anywho, if you're tired of Halo; here's another suggestio that might be more timely:

Get a new game system. There are about to be three next gen systems again; now is the time to try out one or two of them.

f you can't afford that, then, yeah, go ahead, get black. Myself, I start putting away little bits each month about half a year before launch.

17. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I can't even afford $30 game and you're telling me to get new system? actully i been saving money for WII and GPS receiver for the car and new digital camera. I'll probley get ALL of those within 2years. But untill than i'm stucking playing xbox and pc games for awhile. Which isn't to bad actully.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  18. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Guys i been playing black. There is couple things i don't like about this game.
    1.You can't jump
    2.You have to beat the whole level or start all over again from the beganning.

This game has one of the greast grahpic xbox have.

19. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

Black has a fast-moving storyline and has a run&gun gameplay (this is a good feature)
    it also relates more to modern warfare like have the real guns like the PD-90 and SPAZ Shotgun

Halo 1&2 both have easy BUT great storylines that involve you and have futuristic weapons that we love to just plain screw-around with!