1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

Windows Vista and the secret of full disk encryption
    December 13, 2006 3:45 PM PST
    Add to your del.icio.usdel.icio.us Digg this storyDigg this

When I talk to large enterprises, they tend to be either deploying or planning to deploy PC encryption tools, especially for laptops. This is no longer a "nice to have;" it has become a "gotta have."

With Windows XP or older versions, this means adding on full disk encryption utilities from vendors like GuardianEdge, PGP, PointSec or SafeBoot for $100 to $200 per system. That can add up to a pretty big chunk of change in acquisition costs, let alone the dough needed for installation, configuration, and ongoing support.

Enter Windows Vista. Everyone talks about the new GUI or kernel modification restrictions, but enterprise-class versions of Windows Vista also come with BitLocker full disk encryption (note: BitLocker is bundled into Windows Vista versions for Microsoft Software Assurance customers). Like the software utilities, BitLocker provides protection against the "oops" factor -- lost or stolen systems. Windows Vista also supports the Encrypted File System which offers additional safeguards against malicious internal threats which are more likely to lead to a real data breach, not just regulatory-driven data disclosure.

So here's my thought. Since most large shops are going to upgrade to Windows Vista anyway, why not eschew the add-on tools and fast track the migration? In other words, use your need for laptop encryption as a rationale to jump on the Windows Vista bandwagon in 2007?

Now I realize that my suggestion borders on Analyst blasphemy. It is common wisdom to recommend waiting to upgrade to new operating systems while Microsoft "gets the bugs out." Operating system migrations are also more difficult and costly than simply deploying an encryption utility. Clearly, I am comparing apples and oranges and am way off base.

I don't think so. Here's my logic:

1. Rolling out a tactical security tool with a two-year life span is nuts. Do you really want to install software, disrupt users, and train support staff in 2007 then throw all this effort away in mid-2008? You can't even depreciate the software in that time frame so good luck getting this strategy by the CFO.

2. Windows Vista has a whole bunch of other ROI-type features in it that should help cost justify a more aggressive upgrade cycle. For example, patching systems with Windows Vista is a whole lot easier and efficient than with XP. On this benefit alone, users can recover the incremental cost of a Windows Vista migration.

3. Your gonna go to Windows Vista anyway so weighing the decision based on the relative work needed to install a security tools versus an OS upgrade doesn't flush. Buying an encryption software utilities seems like retrofitting a 1955 Dodge with air bags and seat belts. You can do it, but why would you?

Full disk encryption has become a laptop requirement and Windows Vista can provide this functionality for the price of admission. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Posted by Jon Oltsik
    http://news.com.com/2061-11203_3-6143577.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If i want disc encryption, i'll use PGP or GnuPG.
    Saves me from some bloatware.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'll just stick with XP til Hell freezes over.

4. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Unless the devs are indapendant MS will bribe and steal to have everything Vister only.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Can Microsoft stay a step ahead of the Vista pirates?

This week, Microsoft began making available to select Windows Vista users an update to Vista that is aimed at thwarting downloaders who are circumventing Vista's build-in product activation. But is Microsoft's solution going to do much to stop the so-called "frankenbuilds" that combine combining test versions of Vista with the final code?

Microsoft is pushing out the new Vista update via the Windows Update Web site, as company officials explained on the Windows Genuine Advantage team blog on December 14.

"Windows Vista will use the new Windows Update client to require only the 'frankenbuild' systems to go through a genuine validation check," explained company officials on the WGA blog. "These systems will fail that check because we have blocked the RC keys for systems not authorized to use them. In other words, the wrong key is being used. The systems will then be flagged as non-genuine systems and the experience will be what we announced back in October, including losing certain functionality (e.g. Aero, ReadyBoost) and the system will have 30 days to activate with a good product key."

Robert McLaws, president of Interscape Technologies and founder of the Windows-Now Microsoft-enthusiast site, says Microsoft's intentions are good, but the results might fall short of the company's goals.

"Microsoft is no longer sitting by the sidelines and watching piracy happen," said McLaws. "But the problem with the Frankenbuilds is there's no way to tell a test key from a live key. They (Microsoft) should have used completely different systems, like a 12-letter test key and a 25-letter live key."

Microsoft officials acknowledged that there have been at least two distinct activation workarounds circulating for Vista that "have worked to some degree," and that there are no doubt more on the way.

Just this week, a new technique for circumventing Windows product activation (seemingly including Vista activation) was making its way around the Web.

LINK
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=154

6. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista Anti-piracy Effort Will Drive People to Linux?

Joe Wilcox
    Joe Wilcox

Oh, the wicked 2007 predictions people make, just because it's the end of the year.

The good folks over at IDC released their "Top 10 Predictions for Worldwide System Infrastructure Software, 2007." Overall, it's a good list, although I don't buy No. 9.

IDC predicts, "Microsoft's client operating system anti-piracy efforts will backfire. Microsoft's anti-piracy campaign will drive customers toward Linux."

Bwhahahaha. Somebody has been tipping back too much holiday eggnog. The anti-piracy campaign is biggest on the desktop--so, what? IDC suggests that Linux is finally going to gain desktop traction because of Windows product activation? Oh, the tears, I'm laughing so hard.

More likely, new anti-piracy mechanisms will drive customers to Windows XP, which has less stringent piracy checks. Microsoft's nightmare situation is that customers will stick with Windows XP and consume more Web-based products or services as means of extending operating system capabilities without upgrading.

Certainly, lots of people have no love for product activation and Genuine Advantage validation. Some comments on last week's Vista activation crack post express the sentiments:

* Dimitry: "There are many software producers that protect their software in a very light way (a serial number) and many that don't protect at all (Lotus Notes and Domino for instance). So I wouldn't blame pirates for what Microsoft does to protect their products. It's only M$ who is to blame, IMHO."

* Mike: "Boy, I am so glad that Apple trusts its users and doesn't follow Microsoft's scheme of everyone is a crook until proven otherwise."

* Art: "If MSFT would price the software for individual users at a more reasonable price, there would be less desire to crack the product. With Vista, they have almost priced it out of the range of the average home user, then you add in office standard and you have blown your annual software budget for two years."

I won't make excuses for Microsoft's approach to fighting piracy. What paying customer wants to feel like a criminal? Volume Activation 2.0, which is new with Windows Vista, is going to put strains on IT organizations. If mobile employees--such as work-at-homers or salespeople--don't reactivate within every 180 days, the Windows Vista off switch is going to flip on.

Most IT managers I talk to say the same thing: They make operating system purchases based on applications. If Linux had the appropriate applications--sorry, but that means Microsoft Office, for starters--maybe the onerous anti-piracy tools would drive away some customers from Vista. But in the absence of supporting applications, I don't see any serious exodus to Linux.

Maybe IDC will get nine out of 10 predictions right, which would still be a good showing.

Speaking of anti-piracy, Microsoft is treating Christmas like Halloween. The company has released a Vista update that's supposed to knock out "Frankenbuild."

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/cont...people_to_linux.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Priming Vista Security for the Enterprise

Joe Wilcox
    Joe Wilcox

Windows Vista security is in some ways a work in progress that's going to require lots of partner support and enterprise customer understanding before it's really ready for prime time.

Microsoft is right to tout Vista security enhancements, but some of them feel kind of make do. After all, Microsoft jettisoned security technologies like Palladium, just to get Vista out the door. The hardware-software combination promised to deliver a two-punch to hackers and malware. Where is Palladium--er, Next-Generation Secure Computing Base--now? Could it be in the WinFS graveyard?

Still, Windows Vista is more rugged than its predecessors. Internet Explorer is more secure, and Microsoft has changed Windows' user rights so that most people run as standard users, even when logged in as administrators.

Partners, Customers will make the Difference
    The problem I see: Some of the best, potential security enhancements won't do without partner support. One example: Kernel Patch Protection, or PatchGuard. The controversial feature found in 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista is supposed to harden the kernel against malware and hacking. But PatchGuard also heavily restricts some third-party security software, too. Microsoft is right to treat the kernel as sacrosanct. Whether Microsoft can keep out the hackers along with the security vendors is a major part of the PatchGuard debate. Meanwhile, Microsoft and partner squabbling creates for customers unnecessary uncertainty about Vista security.

A better example: OEM support for ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization). ASLR requires BIOS' supporting DEP (Data Execution Prevention). Together, the hardware and software apply a trick used by some open-source software: randomization of key data areas, which deters some malware. Simply stated: It's more difficult to deliver the malware package if the address is unknown (I wish my postal carrier had the same problem with ad circulars and junk mail).

My Windows Vista laptop supports DEP. Today, I changed Vista DEP to "all programs and services" from the default setting of "essential Windows programs and services only." I also followed Microsoft evangelist Michael Howard's instructions and changed Internet Explorer 7 to "enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks." Now I have DEP working for me when browsing with IE 7.

Some of that DEP benefit may work against me, however. Howard explains that IE 7 DEP "is off by default. When it is enabled many plug-in components fail to run, often crashing the browser." Ah, yeah. If Windows-wide DEP is similar, using the security feature could negatively affect the Vista user experience.

Education is Key
    The process of enabling DEP and even understanding the technology reveals the other reason why Windows Vista security is still a work in progress: Businesses have got to understand what's new, how it works and how they will support it. Because ASLR is new, its benefits must be articulated by Microsoft and its partners. Then IT managers must evaluate existing PCs for which they are considering Vista upgrades.

Merrill Lynch's recent CIO survey shows that businesses are thinking about hardware upgrades such as memory and graphics. DEP may not be on CIO's radars or supported by many older PCs, however. Finding out if older PCs may be arduous, with IT managers manually checking each PC BIOS to see if DEP is there and if it is turned on. Then there are software compatibility considerations and evaluations of performance risk weighed against security benefits.

ASLR is just one new security enhancement. The new user-rights scheme introduces new layers of management complexity--at least in the beginning before IT managers understand what the changes are, what they're for and how they work. My experience today is example. To enable DEP in Internet Explorer, I had to use the "run as administrator" option, even though my account has administrator privileges. Windows Vista's new token-based user-rights mechanism offers layered administrator rights. Anyone using Unix systems would be familiar with the rights approach, although Vista's technology execution is different.

Windows Vista's approach to rights and its User Accounts Control mechanism will require two levels of education, said Dan Cogswell, senior technical trainer for South Burlington, Vt.-based KnowledgeWave Training. Cogswell expects technical training of businesses' IT staff to start over the next six months. "The training for the end users will follow behind that," he said.

security%20snapshot.jpg

Software is Risky Business
    I don't see Windows Vista as a security panacea, but, damn, it's got to be better than Windows XP. Realizing the security benefits will mean lots more cooperation among partners and Microsoft and lots more partner support for enterprises considering Vista deployments.

Meanwhile, risks continue to rise. According to the US Department of Homeland Security's National Vulnerability Database, there have been 6,140 reported security vulnerabilities in 2006 so far. For 2005, there were 4,869 vulnerabilities and 2,357 and 1,257 in, respectively, 2004 and 2003.

Security vulnerabilities touch all classes of software. How about not one but two zero-day vulnerabilities affecting Word?

Homeland Security database reveals more vulnerabilities. For individual products I can't speak for the accuracy of the database. I have seen the number of vulnerabilities change over time, which could be function of delayed reporting or the database's search and sorting mechanisms. I searched for all product versions and got back these numbers: Internet Explorer, 93 vulnerabilities in 2006, compared to 33 in 2005; Firefox, 92 vulnerabilities during the same time period, up from 75 the previous year; Windows XP, 49 vulnerabilities in 2006, compared to 66 in 2005; Mac OS X, which has a reputation for good security, 101 vulnerabilities in 2006 and 96 the previous year.

So far, this year, Mac OS X vulnerabilities are more than double Windows XP. Of course, no one seems to care.
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/cont..._the_enterprise.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

This whole vista thing is so confusing to us low tech computer users, I already heard and read so many bad things about vista, I myself so far don't care about it at all, my main gripe and still don't know how true it is that so many people like myself and many people that use AD wont be able to make a backup of our movies any more because it wont let you or whatever, does this mean the end of programs like anydvd and clone will be obsolete, and no I dont want to go to linux, stick with our old computers, or whatever else will need to be done to overcome this, I just hope I'm wrong.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

FredBun

they work on vista

anydvd 6.0.9.2 2006 12 05
    - New: Added support for Microsoft Windows Vista 64
    - New: All drivers are now signed as per Microsoft requirements
    - New: Setup file is now signed

clonedvd Version 2.9.0.3: 2006 12 13
    - New: Windows Vista (including 64bit versions) fully supported
    - New: All drivers are now signed as per Microsoft requirements
    - New: Setup file is now signed

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

But they won't work on the final retail release ireland, due to DRM restrictions.

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

OK, just to make sure I get this right, what I heard and I do know there are all kinds of rumors out there probably some true or not, that vista will have some kind of blocking in it that will not allow you to make a backup of any kind of store bought meaning a dvd movie or music cd product no matter if you use clone or any other type of software of that type period, hearing that really upset me, I don't condone piracy never did any never will, but to make a backup for myself after I bought the damn thing and might not be able to do it really gets my goat.

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's no rumor, that's a cold, hard fact.
    Read some of irelands earlier reports in this thread for more info on it.
    There will be all kinds of restrictionson copying dvd's, cd's, and ripping both of thoe to other formats.
    So lets say you buy a Metallica cd, and want to make mp3's out of it for yer mp3 player, then with vista, that's not possible, or at least problematic or severely limited.

So, if you value your freedom of copying your owned cd's and dvd's, don't buy vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006
  13. ireland

ireland Active member

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Wow, yeah thats what I was afraid of, I dont mess with things like mp3's etc. but I always make a backup of any music or movie I buy on blank dvd media, especially when you have a bunch of kids in the house your media can get ruined real quick, I learned to always let my kids use my backups after runing so many of my originals, anyway, so many threads on AD about help with things like clone, anydvd, dvddycrypter etc. sounds like it will be the death all them all, I don't know, this whole thing is crazy.

15. ireland

ireland Active member

Who's Afraid of a Monster?
    Who's Afraid of a Monster?

Peter Galli
    Peter Galli

Microsoft has released an update to Windows Vista to combat the workaround to the operating system's product activation technology, dubbed the "Frankenbuild" monster.

"Frankenbuild" uses files from various test and final versions of the Vista software to bypass Vista's product activation technology.

Microsoft officials are also being realistic about the fact that while several attempts have already been made to bypass the Vista product activation features, there are more to come.

A post on the Windows Genuine Advantage blog notes that the Frankenbuild workaround is far from the only one; the company has, in fact, seen a number of attempts to bypass the Vista product activation over the past few weeks.

One of those is a workaround that involves the use of some virtualization technology and Key Management Services -- practices used for activating larger business customers -- the blog post says.

While Vista has only been released to businesses with a volume license -- the software is set to be released to consumers on Jan. 30 -- the code is doing the rounds on the Internet, where hackers are trying to bypass its built-in security and product activation technologies.

The Vista update released this week will use the new Windows Update client found in Vista to make the Frankenbuild systems go through a genuine validation check.

The update will only affect systems that are running a specific binary-tampered version of Windows Vista, Microsoft said in a statement.

When detected, these unauthorized copies will be given a 30-day grace period to activate with a good product key, after which they will be placed into a reduced functionality mode, where features like the new Aero user interface and ReadyBoost are no longer available to them, and their use of the operating system is limited to 1 hour with their default Web browser.

However, users of these tampered systems will still have access to all their data by booting their PCs into Safe Mode, which has limited driver, display and networking support, but allows users access to their files.

Microsoft is also warning that "pirating Windows Vista will have real consequences and will, in turn, encourage people to check before they buy."

The Redmond, Wash., software maker also warns that if further illegal workarounds or other counterfeit Windows Vista code is posted to the Internet or becomes available through other means, "Microsoft may take additional steps to stop the spread and use of counterfeit versions of Windows Vista by releasing updates to the software, and then distributing the updates using various mechanisms, which may include Microsoft.com and/or Windows Update."

For anyone who's interested, Microsoft has also released images of what genuine Windows Vista packaging looks like, as well as that of a counterfeit copy the company recently obtained in Brazil.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/whos_afraid_of_a_monster.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Well I quess the bottom line is if I cant backup any of my stuff because of Vista than they can go and stick it in thier gege, besides reading about vista on so many other sites not to many people have nice things to say, anyway, finally a good thread about vista'a problems, 6 months ago I tried to get people to discuss especially the issue about not bieng able to make a backup and nobody really didn't want to talk about it which suprised since there are so many threads on AD about making backups with all kinds of backup softwares out there etc.
    Myself I dont do anything fancy with my computer not cause I don't want to its cause I don't know how, but thats ok I'm happy doing my meanuall things and injoy making backups for myself, so I will be sticking with my XP till doomsday I quess or until windows stops offering windows updates which I hope won't be for a long time.
    I also was hoping that maybe in 6 months time I might be able to afford a new computer, I just hope if I do I wont be stuck trying to buy one that only offers vista, I still hope they will offer XP on new computers if I want it, or if not on the store shelves to at least be able to order one with XP, I don't have the know how to build one nor do I know anybody to build one and I especially don't want to go to Linux like some people have suggested to me in the past, even tough I hear people that really like it but in my opinion it's mostly geeks that like cause it is kinda complicated, and I'm far from bieng a geek, hell I haven't even reached 2nd base yet with computers and might never will,I'm just an old fart retired construction worker that pretty much tought myself about many things and actually learned more since joining AD within the past year than I have in the past 4 years.
    I also had another tought, if in the near future I can only buy a new computer with vista only, would it be possible to wipeout vista and install XP without any complications, or could it still be a possibility that even after uninstalling vista one can still be stuck with not be able to make any backups cause God knows what the newer computers might have under thier sleeve.

17. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista? Yes, Bother

Joe Wilcox
    Joe Wilcox

Colleague Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols asks "If your operating system isn't broke, why 'fix' it?" The very question is the problem.

The question reflects a sentiment I hear too often as an excuse for keeping old technologies in place--long after their real usefulness is gone.

Too many businesses, like the people they reflect, are simply too resistant to change. There is too much willingness to run just any old thing, because change is viewed as too much trouble. There is a culture of impedance, of friction to change, among many larger businesses. Disturbing: Some trusted advisers, spouting acronyms like TCO, preserve the culture of unchangingness by way of their guidance.

Total cost of ownership is an analyst convention that too many businesses have bought into. TCO is a great metric for analysts that want to advise companies about it. But I contend TCO puts the focus in the wrong place: Cost containment. Technology is viewed as a cost center, when instead it could be viewed as a profit center. What about immediate return on investment? Not ROI but IROI (yeah, it looks weird to me, too). I'm not suggesting that everybody should chuck TCO, but, rather, they reverse priorities so that IROI is the more important consideration.

Microsoft's success, too often dismissed by monopoly, is example of right priorities. Microsoft wasn't always a dominant software developer, and the company has continued to succeed in spite of its success; it's tough to sell products that most customers already own--yet Microsoft does just that. One reason for continued success, I contend: Microsoft regularly moves to the newest software, in part because it sells the stuff and in part because the company recognizes real benefits.

The only time I ever hear Microsoft talk about TCO is with respect to customers, because it's their priority. The company's own priorities are more about business benefits, such as improving efficiency. Microsoft faces similar hardships as other companies migrating to newer software--perhaps more, because the upgrades take place across the organization in a short span of time. Moving 70,000-plus employees to a new version of Exchange, Office or Windows is no simple task. Yet Microsoft is deploying all three products--and then some--about the same time. If the software's not broke and Microsoft fixes it anyway, maybe there is lesson for other large businesses.

What does this rant have to do with Windows Vista and whether people should upgrade? Everything.

I started testing Windows Vista with release of the first Community Technology Preview about 14 months ago. Starting in February, I switched Vista builds about every three weeks until Release Candidate 1. At no point during testing would I have considered switching to Windows Vista, and I advised anyone asking to steer clear of the operating system.

Shock! Something remarkable occurred in autumn. Microsoft's ugly duckling grew into a swan. Whew, and what a beaut. The Windows Vista finished product delivers a remarkably better experience than Windows XP. I'm noticeably more efficient using Windows Vista and Office 2007, and I enjoy working on a computer for the first time in years. I'll have to upgrade my household of PCs for Windows Vista, but I see the cost worth the benefits.

I challenge every IT organization to make the same evaluation--upgrade and see what Vista does or doesn't do for you. If you've been in the IT business long enough, remember back to when you upgraded the business to Windows 95 and Office 95. The problems Steven identifies--lacking applications and drivers, compatibility problems, etc.--were way more problematic moving from DOS/Windows 16-bit to Windows 95. Yet many businesses made the commitment, because of perceived benefits.

I'll point-by-point address some of Steven's reasons for waiting on Vista.

Hardware requirements. I'll be the first to acknowledge that Windows Vista requires much more horsepower than Windows XP. My minimum recommendation for acceptable experience: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD X2 processor, 2GB of memory and 256MB of discreet graphics.

That said, Steven's example, of high-end video editing, doesn't cut it. Final Cut Pro's system requirements are significantly greater than Sony Vegas. Even under if Vegas were running under Vista, looks to me like Final Cut is power hungry, by comparison, on a Mac. Apple recommends 4GB of memory for high-definition editing.

The Softchoice study is another matter. Steven actually understates the problem. Softchoice claims that only 6 percent of average PCs in North America are capable of running Windows Vista Home Premium. Most businesses will want Windows Vista Enterprise, which from a feature perspective is the same as Windows Vista Ultimate. Whether Enterprise or Ultimate, the realistic system requirements will be greater than Premium.

PC replacement is reason to plan deployments, but not to ignore them. It's time the ostrich took his head out of the sand about costs and turned his tall neck to the sky and look around at the possibilities.

Supporting applications. The number of Vista capable, ready or native applications is immaterial. It's not how many, but the number you use. Steven throws around a 1,000 application figure like it's not enough. If you use one application and it doesn't work that's one too many. My testing has uncovered some goose eggs--and they hurt, like Cisco VPN or AIM 6--but most software runs just dandy. Universal search and other new features enhance the experience of older software that works with Vista.

As for that missing list of incompatible applications. I saw it when working as an analyst and before returning to journalism. I have to keep the non-disclosure agreement from my old role, but I can say that the list is nowhere as long as the one for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and in categories that won't matter to many enterprises. What's not on the list is what only businesses can put there--their in-house customized applications, which they will need to test.

The 1.0 release. Vista compatibility and application support are way better than was Mac OS X, when released in March 2001. Mac OS X was much more a 1.0 product than Windows Vista. Apple released the software without support for hardware shipped on customers' Macs, like CD burners and DVD drives. Apple didn't release DVD playback software until summer 2001, even though the software had been standard on Mac OS 8.x and 9.x since the late 1990s. Major supporting Mac OS X applications, like Photoshop, Mac Office and QuarkXPress, were MIAs. Mac OS X "teething problems" were pretty bad compared to what I've seen from Windows Vista.

Should 1.0 even apply to Windows Vista? I don't see how. From one perspective, Vista is version 3.0 from Windows 2000--and Microsoft is renown for getting products right on the third try. From another perspective, Vista is the desktop equivalent of Windows Server, which is the codebase from which Microsoft restarted the project in 2004.

To replace or not? Steven asks a good question: "If your car or washing machine is still running well, do you replace it?" Probably no and almost certainly no. But technology products are different, in part because they're more personal and because, at least from a marketing perspective, they're subject to Moore's Law. I know people that own four or five different iPods--and not one of them needed a replacement. Most people typically moved for some aesthetic reason, such as appearance or size, rather than absolute need. I've seen industry stats that indicate the average person swaps cell phones about every 18 months, again for perceived benefits.

If the benefits are there, or perceived to be, people will upgrade to Windows Vista. The aesthetics are compelling. If the IT organization doesn't see the value, fine. Microsoft is counting on the aesthetics and other benefits to generate some end-user sales pull.

"Even if Vista were gloriously perfect, I really don't see any good reason for most users to upgrade to it," Steven writes. Most users don't use Linux, like Steven does. His experience puts him into a unique class of highly educated computer users. But that's not most people.

Unfortunately, most people don't much like change. If there's a major reason why people wouldn't upgrade to Windows Vista, resistance to change is going to be it. As I stated at the start of this counterpoint, that's the wrong reason.
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/vista_yes_bother.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

18. ireland

ireland Active member

here it is folks

Microsoft Releases Windows Vista System Requirements

You're going to need at least 800 MHz and 512 MB

Microsoft has updated its Get Ready Web site to include the minimum system requirements to run Windows Vista.

A Windows Vista Capable PC must include at least a CPU running at 800MHz, 512 MB of RAM, a DirectX 9 graphics card capable of at least 800x600, a CD-ROM drive and a 20 GB HDD with at least 15 GB free for the install. Of course, systems with bare minimum specifications will be unable to run Vista in the Aero interface.

In order a PC to be certified as “Windows Vista Premium Ready,” it must have at least a 1 GHz CPU, 1 GB of RAM, a DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory, Pixel Shader 2.0, DVD-ROM drive, a sound card, internet access and 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.

For Windows XP, users who did not meet the minimal requirements for XP Home (300 MHz, 128 MB) were still able to install and run the operating system, albeit rather slowly. It remains to be seen if Windows Vista will allow installs on machines lesser than minimal specification.

19. ireland

ireland Active member

Meet BadVista.org

p2pnet.net News:- Microsoft Vista is, "an upsell masquerading as an upgrade," says the Free Software Foundation (FSF).

So it's launched BadVista.org with the twofold mission of, "exposing the harms inflicted on computer users by the new Microsoft Windows Vista and promoting free software alternatives that respect users' security and privacy rights," it says.

Vista is, "an overall regression when you look at the most important aspect of owning and using a computer: your control over what it does," says the FSF.

"Obviously MS Windows is already proprietary and very restrictive, and well worth rejecting. But the new 'features' in Vista are a Trojan Horse to smuggle in even more restrictions."

BadVista.org says it'll be focusing attention on detailing how they work, how to resist them, and why people should care.

"The campaign will organize supporters into effective and unusual actions drawing attention to this daylight theft of computer users' rights, aggregate news stories cutting through the Vista marketing propaganda, and provide a user-friendly gateway to the adoption of free software operating systems like gNewSense," it states, adding:

"Among other harms, BadVista.org will focus on the danger posed by Treacherous Computing in Vista. Commonly called Trusted Computing in the industry, it is an attempt to turn computers from machines controlled by their user into machines that monitor their user and refuse to operate in ways that manufacturers don't authorize."
    If your Net access is blocked by government restrictions, try Psiphon from the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto's Munk Centre for International Studies. Go here for the official download, here for the p2pnet download, and here for details. And if you're Chinese and you're looking for a way to access independent Internet news sources, try Freegate, the DIT program written to help Chinese citizens circumvent web site blocking outside of China. Download it here.

p2pnet newsfeeds for your site | | rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss | | Mobile - http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php

(Wednesday 20th December 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/10792?PHPSESSID=9124ffb998718e0af65e4df56ae

20. ireland

ireland Active member

Zune works with Vista

p2pnet.net News:- Bill and the Boyz have finally figured out it would probably be a good idea if their Zune music box worked with their Windows Vista.

When Zune shipped last month, the software didn't support Vista.

So to remedy the situation, in a fix it's calling an update, Microsoft has shipped version 1.2 of its Zune client software, "providing compatibility with Windows Vista and a slightly simpler installation process" and "presumably" ending the "pointless controversy," says WindowsITPro.

"With this update, Zune is now compatible with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2), XP Professional SP2, XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, XP Media Center Edition 2005, and all versions of Vista,"says the story.

Under the "pointless controversy" it became known that Zune wouldn't play music Napster, MTV's Urge or Yahoo Music Unlimited, etc, all of which use Microsoft's Windows Media Plays[not]ForSure DRM (digital restrictions management) consumer control application.

"Today (Tuesday the 19th of December) we’re issuing a 22 MB update to make Zune compatible with Windows Vista," declares Zune Insider.

"The update also improves the Zune software installation process, addressing some of the known issues that users reported. Like Jason R said recently 'It is plumbing stuff, but it is stuff customers will notice and appreciate.' So you should install the update, even if you’re not running Vista."

But there's a 'but'.

"Zune isn't compatible with the x64 version of XP or any versions of Windows Server 2003," says WindowsITPro. "Users who install the Zune software on Vista will also need to update the Zune firmware to version 1.2."

When Microsoft said it was hopping to take on Apple with Zune, it used a tacky animation of a man cuddling a rabbit as the teaser, leading to the statement, "We're all friends here. We'll keep you posted."
    If your Net access is blocked by government restrictions, try Psiphon from the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto's Munk Centre for International Studies. Go here for the official download, here for the p2pnet download, and here for details. And if you're Chinese and you're looking for a way to access independent Internet news sources, try Freegate, the DIT program written to help Chinese citizens circumvent web site blocking outside of China. Download it here.

Also See:
    WindowsITPro - Microsoft Updates Zune Software for Vista, December 20, 2005
    pointless controversy - Zune hates Vista, November 16, 2006
    Zune Insider - Zune Compatible with Vista: Today, December 19, 2005
    tacky animation - Microsoft's Zune hops in, July 24, 2006

p2pnet newsfeeds for your site | | rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss | | Mobile - http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php

(Thursday 21st December 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/10804?PHPSESSID=1b0701fe92fcbdcd84d6a4fd58f2f79d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.