1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I couldn't agree more. I do like what M$ is doing with gaming for XP and Vista. The whole "Games for Windows" thing is pretty cool and its pretty neat in Vista. If you don't know about it, here is some info from the horses mouth:

The Games for Windows brand on games means four key things:

1) Quality. Games for Windows branded titles undergo extensive testing, and not just by the publisher. Microsoft also invests in quality checking each title to ensure they meet performance and reliability standards.

2) Compatibility. Games for Windows branded titles work on Windows XP and Windows Vista based PCs, including both 32 and 64 bit editions. Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the XBOX 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. They even support widescreen resolutions and more.

3) Safety features. You can be confident that any title carrying the Games for Windows brand will support the new parental controls and family settings features in Windows Vista.

4) Easy to Play. Games for Windows branded titles are easy to install, find and remove, especially in Windows Vista. Every Games for Windows title appears in the new Windows Vista Games Explorer (no more hunting around the start menu for that game you just installed). And Games for Windows branded titles all offer some form of “easy install”, putting you in the game more quickly.

My Take:

1. Whatever, that should be a givin.
    2. This is where M$ got it right, Wide screen, 64bit support, Gamepad compatible with 360 and PC controllers. This is great. I have a lot of friends that just dont know PC gaming because they are afraid to use the keyboard. With this, they can play the same games using the 360 controller.
    3. Safety. EH, could care less, but I guess its necessary.
    4. Easy to install should be a given, but the idea if you want to uninstall something and be sure that it is totally gone is good to know. Now the Game Explorer in Vista is Great I love the Idea of it and I love they way it works. (its a shame I can't use Vista because of iTunes BSOD. Damn you Apple!)

2. naruto73

naruto73 Member

I have a question for anyone that can answer it. My computer is capable of running vista on all aspects except my ram is only 256 mb is it still capable to run it at least even if its slow?

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

no, you're asking for a crapload of suffering, there. you either need to put out the cash for more ram (good decision) or say "screw vista" (better decision).

4. naruto73

naruto73 Member

Ok true but whats so bad about vista?

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you haven't read this thread, have you?

just because a car is shiny and new doesn't mean it's going to run better than something ten years older. quality should be the determining factor. same applies with software.

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Could'nt have said it better myself, also, if you are one that likes to backup his movies or music like so many do on AD, with vista you can kiss that goodbye.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

might as well sign over your testes when you purchase that license for vista.

the solution is to go linux, but most people are afraid (not like myself) or rely too much on their current setup because of their current situation (like myself). alas, converting is the only way to get the message across to the big boys in their highrise offices.

sigh.

8. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Well I think it looks good but its a HUGE resource hog on my computer.

-EDIT, BTW, I have a 1.1GHz with 640MB.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  9. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

are we gonna do a countdown? well 15 days till it comes out. The thing i hate about vista is there is just way to many versions. When xp only had like 3 vista have like 5.

10. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

It IS out. Well, im not sure to the general public but it is out and around if you know where to look.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it may be out, but why would anyone with even a hint more than mediocre computer usage skills want to run it?

12. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Who know. I only like it for the way it looks(which you can get with a theme pack). I had it once but reformated my whole harddrive to redo the partitions and I still havent installed it yet. And that was over a month ago, lol.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ah, laziness. that's why i'm not on linux yet.

14. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Its actually a combination of laziness and I dont want to sit and wait a couple hours for it to install... on top of the formating for the drive I want to put it on and files for it...

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ah, so laziness and impatience.

16. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

ah, so you understand.

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

every now and again, two mortal men will wind up on the same mental wavelength. you and i, we understand that the amazing thing about the art of procrastination is

^.~

18. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Actually, I think that just about everyone else in high school understands the art of procrastination.

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

sometimes i sit, and i think..."darn, i miss high school."

then i stop rationalizing and realize what it really was like. "wtf was i thinking? screw that!" :p life is better when you get out.

"screw that.."..i seem to think that a lot. and to tie this back to the topic, i especially feel that way about vista.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  20. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Vista really seems pointless. Its alot of money for a semi decent version and its still full of bugs at the min.

P.S. high school really isnt that bad for me cuz im home schooled :p
    But then again, Im starting college tomarrow(even though im only finishing up the 11 grade now) so im not gonna have much procrastination time I think :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.