1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, but are you a physics and math double-major-er? ^.~

2. ireland

ireland Active member

Buying OEM versions of Windows Vista: the facts,
    includes movie studio support to help you from copying music and movie dvd's.

1/30/2007 9:39:14 AM, by Ken Fisher

Today Vista launches. I've received a number of e-mails from readers looking for more information on the black arts of the OEM edition, so here it is: my brief introduction to everything you need to know before going OEM.
    What is OEM?

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, and most often refers to the likes of Dell or Gateway. At least originally, "OEM versions" of products were usually the same products that you'd find at retail, but with no-frills packaging, reduced support, and sometimes lesser warranties.

When it comes to Windows, "OEM editions" most often refer to the cheaper versions of Windows made available to "system builders" and other classes of Microsoft partners. You can buy OEM versions of Windows online almost any place that sells software, such as NewEgg. Companies keep compliant with Microsoft's rules by bundling OEM versions with a token piece of hardware, like a cable. Here's a glimpse of current OEM pricing:

* Vista Home Basic $99 (full version retail: $199)
    * Vista Home Premium: $119 (full version retail: $239)
    * Vista Business: $149 (full version retail: $299)
    * Vista Ultimate $199 (full version retail: $399)

As a general rule, OEM software is usually much cheaper than full retail copies, but only slightly cheaper than retail upgrades. Vista upgrade pricing, plus a word or three on the limitations of the upgrade versions, can be found here.
    Can I buy OEM?

Yes, you can. Microsoft licenses OEM software to "system builders," which the license defines as "an original equipment manufacturer, or an assembler, reassembler, or installer of software on computer systems" (emphasis added). You can install software on computers, right?

When asked, Microsoft says that OEM software is not intended to be installed by end users. Off the record, Microsoft spokespeople have told me that the big concern in Redmond is for Joe Newbie. They don't want inexperienced users buying OEM software, but the fact of the matter is that anyone can buy OEM versions of Windows.

Truth be told, Microsoft is not opposed to the practice. Rather, the company says that people who purchase OEM software will simply be expected to abide by the terms of the licensing agreements.
    What's missing from the OEM version?

When you buy OEM, you need to understand what you're getting.

OEM editions of Windows don't come in pretty boxes, nor do they include manuals. Of course, a real "manual" has never shipped with Windows, and chances are, if you're interested in OEM software, you don't need what passes for a manual these days, anyway. And the pretty box... well, that's not really worth much anyway, is it? Rest assured, though: the software on the disc is the same as that found in any retail edition.

There are some gotchas, though. OEM software cannot be returned once opened. There are no exceptions. You open it, you've bought it.

OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Nevertheless, I've known users who got around this limitation by calling Microsoft and reporting that their motherboards died when they wanted to build a new computer. It is Microsoft's policy to allow motherboard swaps in instances where a system is defective or has suffered a hardware failure. But you shouldn't bank on this approach; there's no guarantee it will work and, well, liars don't get ice cream. Also, while retail versions of Vista include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, OEM versions are specific. You get one or the other. This follows from the per device restriction. The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up.

Then there's support. Technically, OEM versions of Windows get first-tier support from the system builders who put the OEM software on your machine. In the case of Mom & Pop Computers, that means M&P is your first support hit. In the case of you buying OEM software for yourself, technically this means that you're your own support. What does this really mean? Retail Vista comes with 90 days of free support. OEM edition users don't get that, but paid support is still an option, should you need it.
    The sum difference

Should you consider OEM software? I've outlined the issues, now it's up to you. Just keep in mind one thing: Microsoft has shown renewed interest in enforcing the terms of its licenses, and the technology that helps the company do so is getting more pervasive, and smarter.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista launches to muted applause
    MS says the 'Wow' starts now - audience says ssshhh...
    By John Oates in the British Library → More by this author
    Published Tuesday 30th January 2007 15:29 GMT

Vista has been delayed so many times that the audience didn't seem surprised that the start time slipped back by twenty minutes. About two hundred journalists and Microsoft partners gathered at the British Library conference centre for the launch event this morning.

Bill Gates finally arrived on stage looking surprisingly dapper in a dark pinstripe suit and burgundy spotted tie - maybe the delay was down to him getting fitted for the suit which didn't look like it came from a catalogue.

He told us a lot had changed since 1995 when Microsoft last introduced a new operating system and suite of applications at the same time. Then the big change was long file names, more than eight letters, and PCs were mainly used for printing and some email.

Gates compared this with Vista with its support for music, games, telecoms and television and other video content. He said avoidance of phishing and malware was increasingly important.

He said a big change was in parental controls. This means Gates can control exactly how many hours, and which hours, in a day his son can use his PC and which applications and websites he can access. For his daughter, we heard, he is more flexible but can still look back at the log files to see what she has been up to. [So Gates' kids can't outfox him when it comes to computers? Maybe these things skip a generation]

He said the launch of Office 2007 was a major release and an embracing of the XML standard. He said it would redefine collaboration through the use of SharePoint, that "the ribbon interface would give more power to people to create 21st Century documents."

Gates thanked the people who worked directly on the products as well as the 5 million beta testers. He said family use of computers was increasingly important and so Microsoft had watched 50 families in seven countries to see how they used their PCs. He claimed 800 changes were made as a result of this.

Gates said the real strength of Windows was the ecosystem around it and claimed Windows has ten times more applications than any other platform. He pointed to the "gadgets" including one which will allow quick access to betting services which Microsoft will not be able to use in the US. Gadgets look suspiciously similar to widgets - essentially mini-apps, or rather mini-browsers, which sit on one side of the screen and give you access to information from specified Microsoft partners like ITN, easyjet or betfair.

4. HazelB

HazelB Member

Vista enforcement...I'm not sure where this question belongs... please help me figure this one out.

Will activation for XP after support withdrawal in 2012 also be withdrawn? That is, if I want to install XP Pro on a new build after MS no longer supports it, projected to be 2011-12, how do I activate it?

Will we be forced to upgrade to Vista (or go to Linux or Apple)?

Should I make a slipdisk or clean install on a HardDrive and stash it?

5. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Nope, thats why im on more=) Good luck with that though...

6. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista p2p networking[​IMG]

p2pnet.net News:- Like it or not, Microsoft Vista is now out there, and in spades if only because it a given that it's a given on just about every new PC being sold commercially, like it or not, although as Matt points out here, wiping Vista off of the computer and demanding a EULA-entitled refund is one way around it.

But one aspect which doesn't seem to be getting much, if any, attention is so-called Vista p2p 'People Near Me' (PNM) Collaboration.

It, "allows applications to discover people connected to the local subnet and easily invite them into a collaborative activity," said Bill and the Boyz last year. "People Near Me provides a common user experience for sending and receiving invitations and application programming interfaces (APIs) for discovering people and publishing information."

PNM uses Web Service Discovery to publish a user's "friendly name," computer name, IP address, and the port on which the service is listening and, "Developers can use the People Near Me APIs to collect this information from everyone on the local subnet," says Microsoft. "The Windows Meeting Space invitation dialog box uses the People Near Me APIs to find nearby people and invite them into a meeting."

What's it all about, at length and in detail? Adrian Moore, development manager for the SCADA Vision system developed by ABB Inc in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and a Microsoft MVP for Windows Networking, goes into chapter and verse on the Code Project.

There's also detail on the Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking site.

How much?

So, what's Vista going to cost in Canada? In August last year the Canadian Microsoft site released pricing before it was supposed to.

"Windows Vista Ultimate is listed at $499 Canadian which translates into $450.36 in USD," said neowin.net. "Home Premium is listed at $299 or $269.86 USD, Vista Ultimate Upgrade is priced at $299 or $269.86 USD, while Home Premium Upgrade is $199 or $179.60 USD."

So what's the official CA price? Windows Vista Home Basic is $260, Home Premium, $300 and Vista Ultimate, $500.

Meanwhile, as a p2pnet reader said in a comment post to the Canadian price leak story:

I meant to add my agreement with the first two posters, about there being no truly good reason to upgrade to Vista. I don't care for the activation in XP at all mind you, especially since I format every few months and reinstall the OS (what with being a hardware enthusiast and all), but I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as Vista is going to be, which is going to be chock full of DRM, activation, and user spying schemes.

I've considered Linux, and have even tried the various flavors of Ubuntu here and there occasionally (which are all pretty sweet), but Linux is just not user friendly enough to make the switch permanently. Even if I did, there is still the issue of games, most of which are DirectX these days. I'm a hardcore PC gamer and have been since my Apple II+ days. The possibility of switching to Linux at some point in the near future is why I'm starting to look more closely at console gaming lately. Sadly, the Microsoft Xbox360 I just picked up a few days ago, though a fairly nice improvement over all past consoles, looks way too jaggy, even on my Dell 2405FPW LCD monitor at 1080i (actually 540p-upconvert-to-1080i trick, and why the sold separately VGA cable doesn't allow 1080i). It's going back for a refund soon, and hopefully the Sony PS3 and/or Nintendo Wii will be better.

The ultimate OS would include virtualization, if I understand that term correctly. Being able to run all my Windows applications (including all PC games) on Linux would definitely make me try a lot harder to switch to it. But another problem I have, besides it being not so friendly, is drivers, and this is a big issue for me what with owning four completely different PC's.

As soon as I install Linux, I run into problems regarding non-existent drivers, and especially with getting what drivers there are available installed at all. For example, the Nvidia Forceware ones, which are always the first I try to get installed and working correctly after installing Linux, are a huge pain in the butt, especially since I'm a Linux noob. But, nevertheless, they are a necessity due to my large widescreen LCD monitor. This is exactly the kind of thing that will keep the masses away I think, and why Windows is remains so popular with the average folk (ease of use being the primary reason it's not secure of course, and why linux is secure but a PITA).

So, I'll probably stick with XP Pro for as long as I can, and I have no doubt a lot of other Windows users will try to as well. That is until XP is no longer supported, and Microsoft does all those things they always do to force everyone to move to their newest OS. It is very likely that this will be the breaking point at which I finally move to Linux for good despite the issues I have with it. I do so very hope it's matured enough by then, or I very well may end up with Vista simply because I have no other choice left to me.

Back to the current Vista, New York City DefectiveByDesign members spent their Vista launch day spreading the message that Vista's DRM is a danger to computer users. With them were other Vista non-enthusiasts from BadVista.org.
    http://p2pnet.net/story/11181?PHPSESSID=82e604f4f5730db89fef5509f299a46d

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs
    Jan 31, 2007 - 7:23 AM - by Digital Dave
    Sweet...

Microsoft internal documentation reveals workaround for Vista Upgrade DVDs with no need for a previous version of Windows

Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes to performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD, a gleam of light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new workaround proposed by Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents) has been confirmed to work by DailyTech.

dailytech.com

Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs

Microsoft internal documentation reveals workaround for Vista Upgrade DVDs with no need for a previous version of Windows

Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes to performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD, a gleam of light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new workaround proposed by Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents) has been confirmed to work by DailyTech.

We reported on Monday that Microsoft doesn't perform disc checking anymore during an operating system install. In the past, when performing a clean install, a user could boot from an install CD and insert a disc from a previous version of Windows for upgrade compliance.

Per Microsoft's new licensing requirements for Vista, users are required to install a Windows Vista Upgrade from within Windows XP. When this occurs, the Windows XP license is forfeited and the Windows Vista installation process can take place.

Now, however, this workaround allows users to perform a “clean install.” The process is a bit tedious, but is not hard at all to complete. Users have to perform these simple steps to perform a clean install of Vista without a previous version of Windows installed with an upgrade DVD:

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
    2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
    3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
    4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
    5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
    6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
    7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

8. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key
    Jan 30, 2007 - 10:19 PM - by Digital Dave
    Yea, this was a topic of discussion at the Launch Today. I was asked this question by a very nice couple.

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

tomcoyote.org

Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key
    January 29th, 2007 by Blair

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

From Vista’s EULA found here (PDF) :
    http://download.microsoft.com/docum...lish_d16c019b-fa71-4fc9-a51d-a0621bddb153.pdf

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

For many people this may not be a problem, but it’s a change from earlier versions of Windows.

Update: Workaround posted here! or my above post..
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/security/workaround-for-clean-install-with-vista-upgrade-dvds/76/

http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-upgrade-invalidates-your-xp-key/74/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  9. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

all these vista monkey business should be prosecuted. it is abusive (to say the least)and repressive of individual rights.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Since Vista launched, I've seen several "techies" extol its virtues. I'm surprised I'm hearing nothing of the stuff I'm seeing here in this thread. All are saying don't upgrade to vista, wait until your next PC to get it. No mention of DRMs in dealing with cds and dvds. Noone is criticizing the enormous cost of the complete system, which is laughable.

11. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista security hole,
    SOON VISTA WILL BE LIKE XP'S SECURITY PROBLEMS

p2pnet.net News:- Bill and the Boyz admit their latest money-spinner, Vista, has something of a free speech problem.

There's a security hole on the voice recognition application.

"In order for the attack to be successful, the targeted system would need to have the speech recognition feature previously activated and configured," says Adrian on the Microsoft Security Response Center blog.

"Additionally the system would need to have speakers and a microphone installed and turned on."

Wouldn't that have to be the case if you wanted to use the system?

Not only but also, "The exploit scenario would involve the speech recognition feature picking up commands through the microphone such as 'copy', 'delete', 'shutdown', etc. and acting on them," says the post, going on:

These commands would be coming from an audio file that is being played through the speakers. Of course this would be heard and the actions taken would be visible to the user if they were in front of the PC during the attempted exploitation. It is not possible through the use of voice commands to get the system to perform privileged functions such as creating a user without being prompted by UAC for Administrator credentials. The UAC prompt cannot be manipulated by voice commands by default. There are also additional barriers that would make an attack difficult including speaker and microphone placement, microphone feedback, and the clarity of the dictation.

Meanwhile, "While we are taking the reports seriously and investigating them accordingly I am confident in saying that there is little if any need to worry about the effects of this issue on your new Windows Vista installation," Adrian promises.

Do they look like famous last words to you?

. Slashdot Slashdot it!

Also See:
    blog - Issue regarding Windows Vista Speech Recognition, January 31, 2007
    http://p2pnet.net/story/11206?PHPSESSID=6f0b88432bc0991bd7a3deaf6764dcaa

12. ireland

ireland Active member

Realtek High Definition Audio for Vista 1.56
    Author: Realtec
    Date: 2007-02-01
    Size: 15 Mb
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Vista

Realtek High Definition Audio drivers for Vista.
    DOWNLOAD HERE

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5513.html

13. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista Family Discount Keys Found Not Compatible
    Posted by CowboyNeal on Thursday February 01, @07:54PM
    from the fits-a-different-lock dept.
    Windows Bug
    acousticiris writes "Many (if not all) users who took advantage of Microsoft's Vista Family Discount have been issued invalid installation keys and cannot install Windows Vista Home Premium. Microsoft says, 'There is no expected time period for a fix at this time.' According to the article, the keys are valid for something, just not Windows Vista. Perhaps it's just too simple to issue these folks new keys and send them on their way."

In the past, early adopters of new Windows versions have had some small hurdles to overcome. Such hurdles may be software incompatibility, or lack of driver support. These sorts of things are almost expected with each new Windows launch. But what would you do if you bought Windows Vista and your product key didn’t work? What if Microsoft had no solution and was unwilling to issue you a new key?

Many (if not all) users who took advantage of Microsoft’s Vista Family Discount have been issued invalid installation keys and cannot install Windows Vista Home Premium. Microsoft confirms that the keys are indeed valid, but not for Windows Vista. The CSR I spoke with was unable to tell what the key was for, but it did appear to be a valid key, for something.

Microsoft says, “This is a known issue and has been escalated to the program manager.” When asked what could be done I was told, “I can take your name and number and call you back when there is a solution. If that is not acceptable, I can cancel your order and issue you a refund.” I was also told, “There is no expected time period for a fix at this time.”

If Microsoft does not have this issue fixed very soon, they are going to have a lot of unhappy customers. In the past Microsoft has just issued new keys when this happened. Why is Microsoft being so tight gripped about handing out new keys? If I purchased a valid key, what is it for? How long is this going to take to fix? So many questions, so little answers.
    http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37734

14. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista Indicates A Shift in Microsoft's Priorities

Posted by Zonk on Thursday February 01, @06:05PM
    from the end-users-at-the-end dept.
    Microsoft Windows
    jcatcw writes "After hundreds of hours of testing Vista, Scot Finnie is supremely tired of it. And of Microsoft. Although 80% of the changes in Windows Vista are positive, there is nothing about Vista that is truly innovative or compelling; there's no transformational, gotta-have-it feature in Vista. But the real problem isn't with Vista. It's with Microsoft itself. His opinion is that Microsoft has stopped focusing on end users. They 'now seemingly make many decisions based on these two things: 1. Avoiding negative publicity (especially about security and software quality) 2. Making sure the largest enterprise customers are happy.'"

The Trouble with Vista
    It isn't the features you can see in Vista, or the lack thereof -- it's the priority shift at Microsoft's core

February 01, 2007 (Computerworld) -- When you make a decision, what sways you -- cogent rationalization or what your gut tells you?

I'll tell you what I believe in: real-world, hands-on research. And lots of it. I want to know every facet of a new product or technology before I judge it. I want to try it for myself. Run it through different situations. Measure how it reacts to different conditions, and record how I and others react to those things.

This doesn't work so well for cookware, mobile phones or large-screen TVs, because you won't get the real-world scenario in the showroom. But it works for automobiles pretty well if you're persistent about getting a decent test drive or two. And it especially works for computer software if you're a beta tester. My first copy of Windows Vista came to me in late 2003, and I can't even count the number of builds I tested before the gold code arrived in late November. I have spent hundreds of hours testing Vista.

In the end, though, my decision arrives from my gut. I do the objective and subjective research and wait to see what my unseen, unknown jury says. It's something like a Magic 8 Ball, except that unlike the 8 Ball, I've come to trust it.

The only problem is that even after all that research on Vista, my inner 8 Ball keeps saying, "Reply hazy, try again." How could that be?

What's Wrong with Vista?

At least 80% of the changes in Windows Vista are positive. Microsoft took the extra time to smooth over some of the speed bumps noticeable in the prerelease builds of the OS. You can't fault the software giant for lack of effort with Vista's development process.

The graphics improvements, both in terms of hardware support and how the software takes advantage of that hardware, change the user interface in scores of subtle and overt ways, all of them positive. The single best advantage of Vista is that ergonomically, it's easier and just plain more satisfying -- at the gut level -- to use.

On the other hand, nothing about Vista is truly innovative or compelling. With the exception of security (and we don't know yet whether Microsoft's security changes will be enough to significantly change the Windows experience), there's no transformational, gotta-have-it feature in Vista.

This is why computer software reviewers, though mostly positive, have struggled to put their fingers on exactly why they're positive. To use the '90s vernacular, there's no killer feature; yet for the most part, most people will prefer Vista over XP once they've had a chance to live with Vista for a while.

Make no mistake, either: Windows Vista will be a success. Two years from now, it may be a roaring success. Even Windows ME -- the most embarrassingly uninspired version of Windows since Windows 2.0 -- was a relative financial success for Microsoft. Vista makes Windows ME look like somebody's "Hello World" experiment.

So how come Vista doesn't pass my gut check? Vista has become the version of Windows I just can't get excited about. I was far more excited about Windows ME because I hated it. I don't even hate Vista. I'm just supremely tired of it.
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9009961

15. ireland

ireland Active member

Briefly: Vista can't thwart Mac's reign at No. 1 online retailer

By AppleInsider Staff
    Published: 02:00 PM EST

Microsoft Corp's first major operating system release in over half a decade has seemingly done little to spur PC sales at the Internet's largest online retailer, where Macs continue to dominate sales charts.

Two days after the consumer release of Windows Vista, Apple's Mac line of personal computers handily maintained its lead atop Amazon.com's best selling "Computers & PC Hardware" sales chart.

In all, Macs accounted for 7 out of the top 8 sales slots on the hourly-updated rankings, including the top 5 spots. The top-selling Vista-enabled PC was a 13-inch Sony VIAO notebook, which captured the 6th spot. Vista notebook offerings from Toshiba and HP followed, filling the 9th and 10th spots, respectively.

The Mac's stamina of late is also evident in ongoing market research trends for operating system usage. According to data released Thursday by Net Applications, the percent of Internet users running Apple's Mac OS X operating system rose for the sixth consecutive month to 6.22 percent in January. The Mac's share is up nearly 2 percent since July.

At the same time, usage of Microsoft's top five flavors of Windows has declined at nearly the same rate. The Redmond-based company saw its share of the OS market wither, slightly, from just over 95 percent in August to about 93 percent in January.

Meanwhile, Vista, whose presence on the net thus far has comprised primarily of beta versions, captured a mere 0.18 percent share in January.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2462

16. ireland

ireland Active member

Dodgy Vista security

p2pnet.net News:- Microsoft's Live OneCare 1.5 anti-virus software isn't 100% safe, say tests performed by Virus Bulletin.

VB tests on 15 anti-virus products designed for Vista found four including Microsoft's, failed to reach the standard required for its VB100 certification, says PC Pro.

The three were G-Data AntiVirusKit 2007 v.17.0.6353, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise version 8.1i and Norman Virus Control 5.90.

"The tests pitted each product against a test set of viruses from the WildList, which details viruses known to be circulating on the Internet," says the story. For VB100 certification, products had to detect all viruses from the test set.

"We are looking closely at the methodology and results of the test to ensure that Windows Live OneCare performs better in future tests," the story has Windows Live OneCare product manager Jo Wickremasinghe stating.

With all the delays in getting Vista released, there was no excuse for vendors not getting their products working, says Virus Bulletin technical consultant John Hawes, according to PC Pro.

Live OneCare caught 99.91% of the known active viruses it was tested against, leaving it open to 37 separate malicious programs, says the BBC.

Microsoft's rivals have also questionedthe effectiveness of Vista's security, says The Register.

"Anti-spyware vendor Webroot, for example, criticises 'ineffective blocking capabilities' in Windows Defender, a product which competes against Webroot's Spy Sweeper line of anti-spyware products," says the story. "Webroot also warns of slow (weekly) definition updates, and weak anti-virus capabilities in the default anti-spyware and anti-virus components of Microsoft's Windows Vista and Live OneCare consumer security suite.

"In tests conducted by Webroot researchers Windows Defender failed to block 84 per cent of a testing sample-set that included 15 of the most common variations of existing spyware and malware. Threats of various types - including adware, system monitors, keyloggers and trojans - were able to reside on the testing environment undetected by Windows Vista, Webroot reports."

. Slashdot Slashdot it!

Also See:
    PC Pro - Microsoft, McAfee fail to spot Vista viruses, February 5, 2007
    BBC - Windows 'fails' active virus test, February 6, 2007
    The Register - Security watchers lambast Vista, February 5, 2007
    Want to subscribe to p2pnet by email with Feedburner? Just click here.
    rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss | | Mobile - http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php | | And use our own p2pnet newsfeeds for your site If your Net access is blocked by government restrictions, try Psiphon from the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto's Munk Centre for International Studies. Go here for the official download, here for the p2pnet download, and here for details. And if you're Chinese and you're looking for a way to access independent Internet news sources, try Freegate, the DIT program written to help Chinese citizens circumvent web site blocking outside of China. Download it here.

(Tuesday 6th February 2007)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/11233?PHPSESSID=5d908da1826002e3ecbd412563d47b63

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Vista Be Damned

I opened the Sunday paper today to ad upon ad for Windows Vista. In fact, some stores were going to stay open till midnight Monday, January 29 in order for you to be one of the first to get your copy of Vista. PLEASE! It's not like this is a new game release. Furthermore, while I was once excited about Vista, I am dismayed about how Microsoft has gone out of its way not only to make purchasing Vista confusing, but also the price gouging associated with it.

According to my handy dandy sale ads from the Sunday paper, here is what I have to choose from:
    · Windows Vista Business Full $299.00
    · Windows Vista Business Upgrade $199.99
    · Windows Vista Home Basic $199.99
    · Windows Vista Home Upgrade $99.99
    · Windows Vista Home Premium $239.99
    · Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade $159.99
    · Windows Vista Ultimate Bill Gates Limited Edition $259.00 (I kid you not! This is for real)

Unbelievable! And then they go and release the new version(s) of Office at the same time. I'm not even going to go into those versions, but suffice it to say, it just adds to the confusion.

Now what in the heck do all these versions mean?

Windows Home Basic is a warmed over Windows XP Home with less features! In fact, after reviewing the features compared with XP, this is a step backwards for most people.

Windows Home Premium puts back most of the features you found in Windows XP Home SP2 (except faxing capability) and gives you a supposedly more stable OS and better graphics with Windows Aero (assuming you have the video card and horsepower to support it). Again, most people running XP at home (particularly XP Media Center) have the same or more features at the moment than if they installed this edition.

Windows Vista Business is essentially Windows Home Premium EXCLUDING DVD Maker, Media Center, and other goodies, in exchange for group policy support and roaming profiles and the ability to scan and fax!

Windows Vista Ultimate is the whole kit and caboodle that Vista can offer; however, I cannot imagine what extras come in the Bill Gates Limited Edition. Perhaps some stock options?

Here is an excellent chart that you can refer to compare the various versions available to the home and small business buyers: It is also no coincidence that the advertisements for the new OS sit side by side with ads for RAM upgrades, video card upgrades, and hard drive upgrades. Vista is a hungry OS and wants a fast processor, lots of RAM, and lots of wiggle room. This is not an OS that you are going to plop on your old P4 machine and expect it to purr like a kitten. Not to mention that if you have a lot of legacy equipment strung on to your PC, there is a strong likelihood that there is not a Vista driver ready for it. So upgraders beware!

Speaking of upgrading–be prepared for the words "clean install" as the upgrade path to Vista can be complicated. Check out the following matrix from Microsoft:

Please note all the Yellow Dots in the matrix that require a clean install and also note that there is no way to upgrade from Windows 2000 without a clean install. Also note that if you are still running Windows 98 for some reason, upgrade pricing is not available to you.

Frankly, when I was shown a sneak peak at Vista from Microsoft several months ago, I was pretty pumped about the OS. However, what I was shown at the time was the Ultimate version and the Enterprise edition. At the time, the various versions of the product had not been discussed nor had the pricing been revealed.

Now that Vista is out, I am disappointed. As a home user, I would not consider anything less than Premium or Ultimate (or I would lose functionality) and the price vs. performance/functionality gain is not appealing enough until I require DirectX 10.

As a business user, Enterprise edition does offer some nice functionality for the enterprise, particularly regarding PC management. However, as I have not yet engaged in pricing of the Enterprise edition, I can't say if the features I get with the newer edition warrants replacing XP with 3rd party tools that give you equivalent functionality.

Lastly though, I am disappointed in Microsoft's confusing marketing campaign, the fact that there really ought to be only two editions Ultimate and Enterprise, and saddened by the fact that for many of us, because Microsoft is a monopoly, that there will be no choice in the matter over time.

As a business user, you will eventually be forced into Vista if you wish to maintain a Microsoft environment. However, organizations can and should use this time to re-evaluate Linux and Mac alternatives.

Home users that ONLY surf, do some multimedia, office stuff and the like, have the same decision and should also make the same investigation into Linux and Mac.

Gamers however are pretty much out of luck. If they wish to continue to run the latest release of new games, they will eventually have to upgrade–unless the gaming software industry starts to finally code for Linux or Mac with the same dedication they do for Windows.

In any case, you did not find me standing in line on Monday night at the computer store waiting for the clock to strike twelve to grab my copy of Vista. I was sleeping–Bill Gates Limited Edition be damned!

by, Ramon Padilla

18. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

i just bought the new windows vista ultimate. in it it came with a 32-bit and a 64-bit dvd. im not sure which one to use. i looked around but got a little confused. i have a sony vaio vgn-s260. if need more info on laptop just reply and let me know other than that i hope u can answer my question thanx

19. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

i wouldn't upgrade, but if its a dual core 64 otherwise 32

20. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

i didn't realy understand what u relpied but heres the specs

Product Features
    1.7 GHz Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (Centrino)
    13.3 WXGA Widescreen Display
    CD-RW: 24x (read), 24x (write), 24x (rewrite); DVD-ROM: 8x
    60 GB Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 Graphics Card with 32 MB of memory
    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Hardware Platform: PC
    Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium M
    System Bus Speed: 400 MHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    RAM: 512 MB
    RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory Slots: 1
    Operating System and Software

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Keyboard and Mouse

Keyboard: QWERTY, 86 keys with 2.7mm stroke and 19.19mm pitch
    Hard Drive

Size: 60 GB
    Manufacturer: Portable
    Optical Drives, Other Mass Storage

Additional Drives: Memory Stick Media Slot : Supports optional Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO
    Graphics and Display

Graphics RAM: 32 MB
    Display: WXGA with XBRITE Technology
    LCD Native Resolution: 1280-by-800

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.