1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

@Fredbun-
    You should take that public to your local news. Or at least threaten to. I mean, if your local store(and probably everywhere else) are giving out bad advise purposely, others should at least know. I'm sure they dont want a bad rep. And if you can get some good hard evidence that they are doing that, they may even give you a little pay to keep quite(although I'm not saying to take it...). Just a thought.

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

point well taken weirdname, I should, but you know what, the public so to speak do you really think they would care about getting bad advise from personel like bestbuy or circuitcity etc. and in this case about vista to xp, nah, they got there heads buried in what Nichole Simpson clan is up to, said isnt it.

3. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Well, I guess your right. People seem to be more interested in others private lives than whether or not they could be getting hosed by people they think are able to be trusted...

4. FredBun

FredBun Active member

oops, sorry weirdname, I meant to say Anna Nichole Smith, my wife just corrected me, goes to show you how much I know.

5. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Lol, I didnt even realize the difference! Although now that you mention that name, ya, its ALL over the news. I mean, its kinda sad what happended, but I personally think something like a car crash or an explosion is more like news. The Anna Nicle thing to me is more something that you would see on "Entertainment Tonight" or those other shows like it. When everyone wants to know everything about it, it kind turns into gossip. And everyone is just being nosy. No offense to anyone. Thats just how I see it.

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

lol, I know, I couldnt tell one twit from the other.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Logitech: Setpoint Mouse Software for Vista 3.3 Build 165
    Author: Logitech
    Date: 2007-03-24
    Size: 50.1 Mb
    License: Freeware

Suupport for the following mice:

Logitech® MX™ Revolution
    Logitech® VX Revolution™
    Logitech® G7 Laser Cordless Mouse
    Logitech® MX™400 Performance Laser Mouse
    Logitech® G3 Laser Mouse
    Logitech® MX™1000 Laser Cordless Mouse
    Logitech® V500 Cordless Notebook Mouse
    Logitech MX™ 610 Laser Cordless Mouse
    Logitech® MX™610 Left-Hand Laser Cordless Mouse
    Logitech® V150 Laser Mouse for Notebooks
    Logitech® V100 Optical Mouse for notebooks
    Logitech® V450 Laser Cordless Mouse for Notebooks
    Logitech® LX3 Optical Mouse
    Logitech® V400 Laser Cordless Mouse for Notebooks
    Logitech® MediaPlay™ Cordless Mouse
    Logitech® LX7 Cordless Optical Mouse
    Logitech® V200 Cordless Notebook Mouse
    Logitech® LX5 Cordless Optical Mouse
    Logitech® Cordless Mini Optical Mouse
    Logitech® MX™518 Gaming-Grade™ Optical Mouse
    Logitech® G5 Laser Mouse
    Logitech® Cordless Click!™ Optical Mouse
    Logitech® Tiger Mouse
    Logitech® Spot Mouse
    Logitech® Flower Mouse
    Logitech® Leopard Mouse
    Logitech® Zebra Mouse
    Logitech® Racer Mouse
    Logitech® Cordless Click!™ Plus Optical Mouse
    Logitech® RX1000 Laser Mouse (ROEM)

DOWNLOAD HERE
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5507.html

8. ireland

ireland Active member

Realtek AC'97 Drivers for Vista 6.0.1.6231 WHQL
    Author: Realtek
    Size: 29 Mb

Realtek AC'97 Drivers for the Vista operating system.

DOWNLOAD HERE
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5505.html

Realtek High Definition Audio for Vista 1.63
    Author: Realtec
    Size: 16.6 Mb
    Requires: Vista

Realtek High Definition Audio drivers for Vista.

DOWNLOAD HERE
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5513.html

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  9. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

I think the best way is just to stick with XP. I tried Vista last week, and it's decent, no real bugs, but nothing really that much better in it. I say stick to Vista and download that theme changer to make XP look better. :)

10. ireland

ireland Active member

[​IMG]

Vista security 'huge success'

p2pnet.net news:- Vista's first 90-days, "have been a huge success as compared to the first three months of Windows XP, three versions of Linux, and even the current version of the Mac operating system".

Who says so? Jeff Jones, the strategy director in Microsoft's security technology unit.

He counted vulnerabilities patched in Vista, XP, Mac OS X 10.4, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Workstation, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 within that period, says GameShout.

But the story says 90 days may be a bit early for a benchmark and, says CNET News, "Despite having the fewest security holes, Windows was hit by more critical flaws than either Red Hat Linux or Mac OS X, Symantec found.

Almost one-third of the 39 Windows holes were high severity, and 20 were medium severity, says CNET, adding:

"Just two of the 208 Red Hat Linux security holes discovered were high severity, with 130 medium severity and 70 low severity. Only one of the Mac OS X holes was considered high severity, with 31 classed as medium and 11 as low severity.

"The report found that Windows also had the most vulnerabilities with exploit code and exploit activity, which Symantec claims may be one explanation why Microsoft has been pressured to develop and issue patches more quickly than other vendors."

Slashdot Slashdot it!

Also See:
    CNET News - Study: Windows has fewest security holes, March 23, 2007
    GameShout - Microsoft Gives Windows Vista an A-Plus for Security, March 23, 2007
    http://p2pnet.net/story/11758

11. ireland

ireland Active member

Microsoft Windows Vista OS rated as ‘Most Secure’ by Symantec
    Mar 25, 2007 - 10:04 AM - by Digital Dave
    Oh... weren't they just bashing MS?

Microsoft, the software giant has frequently been criticized for releasing insecure products, with security holes and vulnerabilities galore. However, Symantec, the world’s leading security company thinks otherwise, and has said so in a forthright manner in its latest research report.

desktop-tools.blogspot.com

Microsoft Windows Vista OS rated as ‘Most Secure’ by Symantec

Microsoft, the software giant has frequently been criticized for releasing insecure products, with security holes and vulnerabilities galore. However, Symantec, the world’s leading security company thinks otherwise, and has said so in a forthright manner in its latest research report.

In Symantec’s 11th Internet Security Threat report, the company said that when it comes to widely-used operating systems, Microsoft has being doing better overall when compared to its leading commercial competitors. This report was released this week itself, and covers a vast range of security and vulnerability issues over the last six months of 2006.

The Symantec report found that Microsoft Windows had the fewest number of patches and the shortest average patch development time when compared with the five operating systems that the security giant had monitored in the second half of 2006.

During this period, 39 vulnerabilities, 12 of which were ranked high priority or severe, were found in Microsoft Windows. However, Microsoft took an average of 21 days to fix them all.

The next best performer was Red Hat Linux, which required an average of 58 days to address a total of 208 vulnerabilities. However, this was a significant increase in both problems and fix time over the first half of 2006, when there were 42 vulnerabilities in Red Hat with an average fix time of 13 days.

Next up was Mac OS X, and if you read further you will realize that Apple has absolutely nothing to boast about. Symantec found 43 vulnerabilities in Mac OS X and a 66 day turnaround on fixes. Fortunately, only one was high priority. Like the others, this is also an increase over the first half of the year. For the first half of 2006, 21 vulnerabilities were found in Mac OS X and Apple took on average 37 days to fix them.

In the rear, was HP-UX from Hewlett Packard and Solaris from Sun. HP-UX had 98 vulnerabilities in the second half of 2006 and took 101 days to fix them. Sun, which had 63 vulnerabilities, took an average of 122 days to fix them. The company didn’t do any better in the first half of 2006 either, as Sun took 89 days to fix 16 vulnerabilities.

According to Alfred Huger, vice president of engineering for Symantec Security Center, the real problem is with Web applications, where two-thirds of all vulnerabilities are found. Operating systems are fairly minor, and despite the long time periods, the vendors are doing “an ok job, just not stellar.”
    http://desktop-tools.blogspot.com/2007/03/microsoft-windows-vista-os-rated-as.html

12. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I love this.. what a quote.

anyway. I have the most secure OS known to man.. Even I can't open any damn ports through the firewall, and it's my machine...

13. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista Firewall Control 32-bit 1.0.5
    Author: SphinxSoftware
    Date: 2007-03-26
    Size: 816 Kb

Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing activity, controls applications internet access. Allows you to control personal information leakage via controlling application network traffic.

Features:
    Designed for Windows Vista
    Free versions available
    Special editions for portable devices (USB flash/HDD drives, iPod etc)
    Special editions for U3 smart devices
    Protection from incoming and outgoing threats
    Simplicity of operation
    Per-application security settings

Shareware versions of Vista Firewall Control Plus are available at the author's website with more features.

DOWNLOAD
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5578.html

Vista Firewall Control 64-bit 1.0.5
    Author: SphinxSoftware
    Date: 2007-03-26
    Size: 920 Kb

Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing activity, controls applications internet access. Allows you to control personal information leakage via controlling application network traffic.

Features:
    Designed for Windows Vista
    Free versions available
    Special editions for portable devices (USB flash/HDD drives, iPod etc)
    Special editions for U3 smart devices
    Protection from incoming and outgoing threats
    Simplicity of operation
    Per-application security settings

Shareware versions of Vista Firewall Control Plus are available at the author's website with more features.

DOWNLOAD
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5577.html

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

YOU MUST ALL WATCH THIS VIDEO!
    I almost p*ssed myself watching this, it's some grade A microsoft comedy ;-)

And THIS video of the first demo of the same software...
    Hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  15. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

OMG sweet vista monologs... lmao

16. ireland

ireland Active member

PC World refuses Windows refund,VISTA REFUND?

You have to pay for something you don't want

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 29 March 2007, 08:03
    AN INQ reader who bought a PC from PC World has had no joy getting his money back on the pre-installed Windows software that came with the kit.

Barry Dorrans bought the PC so that he could test the Windows Home Server Beta and wanted his cash back on the pre-installed copy of Vista.

He reasoned that even if he put Vista back on the machine he would use his MSDN licence for Vista Ultimate.

But while outfits such as Dell are giving punters their money back, apparently PC World is telling punters to go forth and multiply, in a nice way of course. A letter back from the outfit says that the operating system comes as part of the package pre-loaded onto the machine and therefore no refund.

Barry was not deterred. Having read the Vista EULA he knew that the licence said that he could reject the software by not accepting the terms and get a refund.

Just to make sure he penned another missive to PC World and attached a BBC story to show the good people athem how this was being interpreted elsewhere. Again no dice.

PC World suggested he talk to Vole directly as it had nothing to do with them. Barry tells us he has asked for this in writing so that he can have a quiet world with Microsoft Licensing.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38577

17. ireland

ireland Active member

18. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@The_Fiend

this has got to be the funniest thing i have ever seen [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  19. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

I watched the whole thing and the end result was only three lines of code! And He still had to type "INFO" because all he could get was "Info".

20. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista - 20 Million Copies Sold In 30 Days - No Way!

Our good friends in Redmond must be using the new math when they are boasting of a sales figure that just doesn’t make sense. I have read several articles about Microsofts claims of selling 20 million ‘licenses’ of Vista in 30 days. In fact I was so impressed that I tossed my XP laptop in the trash, and rushed right out to buy a Vista machine. Yeah, right!

First you have to understand how these numbers may have been calculated. Remember all the folks who bought computers from about the end of October 2006 that were issued upgrades to Vista? And that after the Vista launch, were shipped copies of Vista which some folks are still waiting for? Well if you count those as licenses issued during the first 30 days of the launch, that adds up to a lot of licenses. BUT, the time frame really extends backwards to about 4 months.

Next, we have to look at the licenses issued to the OEM’s for the machines that are licensed, but that are still sitting in warehouses or on store shelves. Because a license has been issued for a computer, is it a real ’sale’ until the system is actually purchased by a consumer who takes it home and activates the copy? I personally don’t think so.

Here is the best one that I like the best. Vista has sold 20 million copies in 30 days and it took 2 or 3 months, depending on who’s figures you believe, to sell 17 million copies of XP. OK. That doesn’t take into account one small little factor. 5 years ago when XP was released there were not as many computers as there are today. I don’t think anyone can fudge on this logic.

And here is the one figure that Microsoft has also not made public. Does the number of licenses also include the free copies that were given away free of charge to beta testers? I got a free copy. So did my good friend Denny. And they are licensed copies so they do qualify as part of the 20 million.

If Microsoft sells 20 millions copies a month of Windows Vista, than in approximately 11.3 months every computer in the world will be running Vista. This is Ron’s new math. ;-)

Comments welcome.
    PS I wonder if these numbers include those who bought and installed Vista, formatted their disks and went back to XP?
    http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/03/29/vista-20-million-copies-sold-in-30-days-no-way/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.