1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

"PS I wonder if these numbers include those who bought and installed Vista, formatted their disks and went back to XP?"

Or if the numbers include the thousands of people who downloaded it illegaly for free!

2. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Much like console numbers or any corporate "sold sold sold" numbers I think it means what the retailers bought.

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Several pages ago I did promise I would get back about not being able to unload vista and install xp on new bought computer.

After gathering all the info I got from this thread, and as I said I would take it over to bestbuy circuitcity and another solo computer repair store.

Bestbuy to me were the biggest dummies, I made the geeks there read all the posts I printed from this thread about how it can be done, the super there said maybe it can be but good luck locating drives for xp that will work properly plus some other excuses because he couldnt give me proper answers.

Circuitcity guys sounded way more knowledgable, talking with two of them both said yeah it can be done but problomatic, especially getting the drives together and or maybe some hardware issues that might be a problem, the one kid said he did it with his notebook everything worked fine except he could not get his sound to work no matter what he tried, said he didnt care he doesnt use it anyway.

Than thier main guy finally got some free time and as we spoke, he asked me why the issue with vista cause I would not buy a new computer with vista on, I said I had several issues with vista but my main one was that I always make a backup copy of my store bought dvd's and with vista it wont allow it, he said I'm not the only one that has been bringing that up, that plenty customers have been asking for xp on new computers for many reasons also.

But here is what shocked the hell out of me, now I dont know if he is right or wrong, but he said all you have to do with vista to disable thier drm crap is to disable your user account info, he said thats all thier is to it, once you do that he said your home free, he said he also has been making backups forever, said he uses ripit4me, dvdfab anydvd and others and burns with no problem, he said it was that simple, he said his big brother is some big mahaff that works for Dell and he figured it in no time, I said it cant be that easy, and I'm not gonna buy a new computer on that hearsay alone even though I hope he is right. His big gripe about vista is that many customers have brought back thier computers because of compatability issues, especially the lower end models, he said trying to run vista esp. on lower end models is like running a truck with a 4 cylinder engine in it.

The last place was the solo computershop, they just laughed and said if you want it done we will do it but we offer no guarantee if you have compatability issues, and a $300 price tag, yeah right.

Anyway, dont matter to me anymore, I found a great HP highend model, one year old and hardly used from craigslist, this baby was like brand new, and a 20in viewsonic widescreen, just a beauty, I didnt care about that extra slot for an extra hardrive to much but no biggie, it has an amd dualcore, also didnt like that the 250 hardrive was partitioned, and my biggest fear was that it didnt come with systemrestore disc's, I tought the guy was lying to me, than found out it doesnt come with it, you have to create your own, kind stupid if you ask me, oh and it only allows you yo do it one time, my luck I'll screw something up while trying to create one lol.

But all in all what a nice system, very happy with it, oh I did try to call HP asking about the systemrestore thing, I couldnt understand that guy if you beat me with a stick, forget it I said.

I live near Philly and got this baby from a guy in Jersey, it was only about a 30 mile drive and walked out with it for only $400, it was a happy day.

4. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Interesting. Maybe there really is driver problems. I dont really use the sound though except for with the headphones. So I could try putting XP on.

5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Can someone confirm that the vister DRM crap can be "turned off"?!?!!?

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I to would like to hear from somebody from AD that did what the kid said he did from circuitcity, just buy eliminating the user account or account administrater thing or what ever the its called to disable the drm crap, as much as I want to believe that kid I still want to hear it from somebody at AD.

It just sounds to simple, why after all the reading I have done on this subject and listining to so many different people that this so called simple solution has never been brought up before.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in this thread or ireland's tech download thread as i think i saw something about it but not certain.

8. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Zippy, I checked out all 3 links, the most disturbing one was the bottem one, I'm just so thankfull I got my used but pratically new HP with xp, and will use it till like that guy in the article says till xp is rendered useless cause of no more support, till than i'm xp all the way and vista can kiss my ass, till after, maybe linux will be the way to go and be more user friendly I hope.

10. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

FredBun
    they dont kid when they say useing vister you sign your soul away,only the rich, stupid and brave will fool with vister,XP was a better OS at launch thats what truly scary.

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

never better said

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'd imagine that if you get around all the DRM crapola you'll have trouble applying Windows updates. But let's face it, who wants or needs those ?. Windows machines at work (XP) are prone to all sorts of issues due to Windows bugs i mean updates. I personally never apply Windows updates, haven't for years. As long as you have a decent firewall, are hidden nicely behind a router all should be good. Of course i mainly use Linux but i do use XP heavily but my point is that Windows Updates are not always necessary to use a system. Most of my XP machines are only as up to date as whenever XP2 came out, and all my machines are super stable & virus/spyware free - now stick that up your updates Microsoft :p

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Dell have seen the light.. We need to break the cartel and get other retailers to realise an OS isn't COMPULSORY!!

I see this turkey going the same way as ME very quickly.. there are still more people running 98 than have changed existing systems to vista.. hahahahaha

14. ddp

hello creaky.
    jan, i use 98se on my main desktop but have xp pro on my laptop.

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

hey ddp/jan.
    i have XP on my 3 laptops, all 3 are dual-boot with Mandriva Linux, various other machines are XP or to be rebuilt, but no Vista shennanigans here, no siree

16. ireland

ireland Active member

ddp
    on ye 98se how do ye get past the max ram of 512 problem?

i have the same basic dos on my 2000 system as win-98 has..
    dos can be selected at win start up,its a hp 2000 install disk

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  17. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

janrocks
    ya MS needs to learn the subtletis of OS's not software hiberly,make a OS thats fast and reliable tact on the extra crap as extra not forced into it so you have to buy a new computer...

18. ddp

ireland, i have 512meg installed currently but i have a customer that ran 1gig of ram on both his computer & wife's computer for upto several months before upgrading to xp with no problems.

19. ireland

ireland Active member

ddp
    I have 3 gig ram on my system, on 3 hd's,98se,2000,and xp selected with a abc switch.. 98se does not cause a problem,its does not use the extra ram..

i though ye had a answer..

20. ddp

their 98se saw the entire 1gig of ram in windows besides in the bios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.