1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

DDP

Windows 9x Power Pack Patch 4.1
    Author: jimmsta
    Date: 2006-07-28
    Size: 73.3 Mb
    License: Freeware

Windows 9x Power Pack is a compilation of most major patches for Windows 98Gold/SE/Me and also includes IE6.0SP1 and DirectX 9.0c (June 2006 w/Managed DX).

Windows 9x Power Pack includes:
    · All Unofficial Service Packs for 98 Gold, SE, And Windows Me.
    · MDGx's 98SE2Me
    · Tihiy's (re-release) RPLite v5, and instructions/zip for lameskin v6 preview.
    · 7-Zip
    · Windows Media Player 9.0 + Codecs
    · MDGx's Windows Media Player 10.0 for Win98SE
    · Xeno86's Kernel Update Project v0.2.7
    · Maximus Decim's NUSB, NUSB Decorator patches
    · Maximus Decim's MDAC update package
    · Maximus Decim's IE6.0 components update for Win98SE
    · Microsoft XML Update
    and much more

DOWNLOAD HERE
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_9x_Power_Pack_Patch_d5203.html

2. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

ireland
    how stable is 98 now adays?

3. ireland

ireland Active member

I have no problems with 98 or 2000..in fact 2000 is more stable then xp-poor,in fact xp is a copy of 2000 with a touch of me in it..

i been using xp since i was a beta tester for it and got a free copy..
    i had to reformat xp so meny times i lost the count.

win-2000 on the original system reformed once in 2000...and thats what i am using now to post..
    i do have ghosts back ups incase i run into a problem i can not fix..

4. ireland

ireland Active member

I LOVE MICROSOFT-VISTA,NOT!!!
    So i madE a pix of me pal eating all the vistas systems returned back to mircosuck.....wait until next month he will be over 600 lbs........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  5. Howdoody

Howdoody Member

IMO, 2000 SP4 is the king of MS systems. I've been using 98 SE for many years and haven't had major problems with it. Had to swith to XP only when some crucial software wasn't compatible with 98, and every USB flash drive required new driver installation. In my experience most 98 stability problems came with computers being preloaded and overloaded with crapware. On a clean new install 98 runs smooth, however to keep it stable you need to restart your PC at least once a day or whenever a hiccup occurs.

6. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

=================
    pretty much my EXP with it a clean install is always best for 98,I just run XP nowadays at least since 01 or 02 XP is good enough,I really need to build a 98 PC for my older games :3

7. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I haven't had any problems with Vista, I think it's great, although the security can be very annoying, and it copied my favorite os, OS X. But i still like it.

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

hey, finally I hear from somebody that likes vista, thats one out of about 200 people I talked to so far, so thats what like 1/2%, well its a start!!

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Wait until they decide to implement the full DRM capabilities in the next round of updates.. Then we will see some serious crying.
    There are already tinges of this cropping up.. somebody who has tried to copy a dvd and now has no burner installed.. another who tried to play some drm loaded downloaded music without a licence to find all music playing software disabled..
    It can only get better (for those of us who really love a good laugh at others misfortune)

@FredBun.. try going dual boot with debian or mandriva.. I can promise you will like/be impressed with what you see.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed. plus see how much more performance you will get from your machine as opposed to MS Schmista.
    i'm just installing a few 100mb of Mandriva updates on one of my old laptops, no DRM here, hehe :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Most stability problems with Win 98 happened, because it was a poor OS. Pretty much a no brainer there.

12. silver112

silver112 Regular member

i have windows vista because it came with the xps410,and the only thing giving me problems is that some of the programs i have on my windows xp i cant transfer them vista and the games dont really look different

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Honestly.. I can't detect anything actually NEW in vista..
    NTFS file system.. big folder of dll hell, exploitable cursor, WGA, hibernate mode (much made of this last week in some hype), software compatibility problems, crashy... sounds just like XP.. oh wait, pretty resource hog desktop....
    What's so special about that? If you are spending lots of time looking at your desktiop then you ain't using your computer for anything.. though with vista that might be the reason you need a pretty desktop.. because vista won't let you do anything with your computer because you are a pirate intent on stealing content from disks or off the internet..

Looking at the hardware specs you need and the performance hit after investing all that money to keep the mpaa's stuff safe from you, then you might as well go out and buy a $20 pentium 3 and run linux on it. It will probably seem faster.

14. 21Q

21Q Regular member

@ silver112
    thats exactly why i dual booted xp and vista

I know whats new, ms copied os x, =)
    I love linux but can't get wine to work =(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  15. janrocks

janrocks Guest

wine? Try pinching a copy of your system32 folder off xp and putting it in your fake windows folder under the .wine directory.

So what is new in vista?.. I can't resist asking

16. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I meant M$ finally copied off the superior os, OS X. So it's "new" features include spotlight, gadgets, and other stuff. It's OS X for pc, legally.

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Cool.. M$ pinching something of apple... well there's something new !not!

They can't even come up with an original place to steal something from....

http://rblevin.blogspot.com/2005/09/new-apple-technology-detects-when.html

Funny.. I was trying to find the transcript of the legal case over the theft by Gates of the dos code when he left apple to found micro-soft

Funny that it can't be found... maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, we all know microcrap own the internet...

Random quote of the day....

Eric: Don't forget, when you stir the Christmas pudding, make a wish.
    Denise: I wish I didn't have to stir this pudding.

18. Howdoody

Howdoody Member

That's true, and overloading it with preinstalled crapware did not help it.

I wonder if those who actually know anything about computers will ever consider Vista an "upgrade" to XP. Just like going from 98SE to ME, or going from 2000 to XP never was a real upgrade.

19. ireland

ireland Active member

Cursor flaw gives Vista security a black eye

Microsoft's release of a "critical" patch on Tuesday poked holes in Vista's security promises, but security experts advise against discounting the new operating system.

The software giant broke with its monthly patch cycle Tuesday to fix a bug that cybercrooks had been using since last week to attack Windows PCs, including those running Vista.

"As far as software vulnerabilities go, Vista's cover is blown," said Nand Mulchandani, a vice president at Determina, the company that discovered the latest security bug. "It is not Superman; it is just a human being. It is just software. Vista is going to be very similar to the other operating systems Microsoft has delivered in terms of bugs."

Microsoft officially launched Vista for consumers in January, promoting the operating system as the most secure version of Windows yet. It is the first client version of Windows built with security in mind, meaning that it should have fewer coding errors that might be exploited in attacks, Microsoft has said.

Yet the "critical" hole that affected much older Windows versions also hit Vista. The vulnerability lies in the way Windows handles animated cursors and could let an attacker commandeer a PC when the user views a malicious Web site or e-mail message.

It is a flaw that should have been caught by Microsoft's code-vetting processes for Vista, called the Security Development Lifecycle, some experts said. The flaw is also evidence that faulty code from previous Windows versions has been copied into Vista, they said.

"It is a little premature to attack the whole effort altogether, but this is something that the Security Development Lifecycle should have caught," said Amol Sarwate, a research manager at vulnerability management company Qualys.

The buffer overflow vulnerability in the cursor function in particular should have already been fixed because a bug in the same Windows component was patched two years ago, said Rohit Dhamankar, manager of security research at TippingPoint, a seller of intrusion prevention products. That should have prompted re-examination of the code, Dhamankar said.

Microsoft disputes that it should have caught the cursor bug before. People who say so don't understand security vulnerabilities because not all bugs are created equal, said Stephen Toulouse, senior product manager in Microsoft's Security Technology Unit.

"In the case of the cursor vulnerability, even though something may look similar to the outside, that doesn't mean the code is anything alike to the previous vulnerability," Toulouse said. "The SDL was never meant to catch every single vulnerability, period."

But Dhamankar argues that Microsoft forgot to recheck all the possibilities that could lead to a buffer overflow after the original bug was found and patched in 2005.

Mulchandani agreed. "The dirty little secret is that Microsoft clearly did not write Vista from scratch. They did not completely build a whole new code base for this operating system. Every version of Windows since Windows NT has had this flaw in it," he said.

Microsoft does acknowledge that Vista will have vulnerabilities. "There are going to be other vulnerabilities. The SDL is not a process by which no vulnerabilities will ever occur. There is no process on this planet that can do that," Toulouse said.

The cursor flaw is like a sign post for the bug hunters. Hackers will now be looking for bugs in similar Windows components to find ways to attack Vista.

"This has been a very significant break and it definitely gives a big pointer," Dhamankar said. "If more such errors are found later, Vista is not going to be able to offer the great protection that's claimed."

Still, Microsoft's Vista security promise doesn't fall apart because of this single vulnerability. Vista is more secure than XP or any other Microsoft client operating system, Sarwate said. "If you consider Windows 2000, XP, 2003, I would still say that Vista is more secure than all the other operating systems," he said.

Mulchandani also said that, while Microsoft has taken way too big a bite at the security message, Vista is more secure than its predecessors because of features such as User Account Control and others that limit privileges on the operating system.

And that's just the goal Microsoft was aiming for, Toulouse said.

"You have to look at Vista versus XP. A lot of people are holding Vista up and saying in a vacuum it will reach some nirvana of security," Toulouse said. "Our whole goal with Windows Vista was to create a fundamentally more secure operating system than we have ever created previously."
    http://news.com.com/Cursor+flaw+giv...ck+eye/2100-1002_3-6173115.html?tag=nefd.lede

20. ireland

ireland Active member

Microsoft Vista 'bait-and-switch''

p2pnet.net news:- A marketing campaign by Bill and the Boyz allowed PC makers to say their systems were Windows Vista Capable, "even when the computers could only run the most basic form of the operating system," says a lawsuit filed against Microsoft.

"In sum, Microsoft engaged in bait and switch - assuring consumers they were purchasing 'Vista Capable' machines when, in fact, the could obtain only a stripped-down operating system lacking the functionality and features that Microsoft advertised as 'Vista'," the suit reads, states the IDG News Service, going on:

"The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, seeks class action status and asks for damages. The suit notes that the amount in controversy exceeds $5 million and that the size of the class likely exceeds 10,000 people.

"Many of the machines with the Vista label cannot run or poorly run Home Premium, the least expensive version of Vista that includes most of the heavily advertised features, the suit says."

However, Microsoft argues it "conducted a broad effort to educate computer manufacturers, retailers and consumers about the hardware requirements to run different versions of Windows Vista," IDG has Microsoft's Jack Evans saying.
    http://p2pnet.net/story/11872

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.