1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

this is one puppy i will not touch for this reason,

Windows Vista includes copy protection
    vista1The upcoming Vista version of the Windows operating system will not allow illegal copies of music and film. The Windows XP successor will include extensive copy protection mechanisms, according to the Munich-based magazine Windows Professionell.

This includes "Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management" (PVP-OPM), intended to prevent copies from being stored on the hard drive or the contents of the RAM from being read out. PVP-OPM also monitors how content is used by controlling monitor outputs like TV ports. The "Protected User Mode Audio" (PUMA) will also prevent the illegal copying of music. Microsoft declined to comment for this article. (dpa) Financial Mirror

http://www.financialmirror.com/more_news.php?id=2579

Top 10 Most Shocking Windows Vista “Facts”

Below are the top 10 most shocking *cough* facts *cough* that have been announced by Microsoft for their upcoming Windows Vista operating system.

1. Running Windows Vista will require at least 1 gig of RAM and at least a Radeon 9800 Pro or GeForce 5900 Ultra video card.
    2. There will be 47 versions of Windows Vista, including versions designed for gamers, students, bloggers, programmers, and vegetarians.
    3. There will be a few free versions of the operating system but these versions will display ads.
    4. Users will not be able to use Vista unless connected to the internet. Microsoft says this is for security, anti-piracy, streaming real-time content, and serving ads.
    5. Solitaire will not be included in any versions of the software. This is supposedly meant to increase productivity in the workplace.
    6. As reported earlier, Firefox will be pre-installed.
    7. Google.com will be the default starting page for both Firefox and IE.
    8. Xbox Live content will be able to be downloaded onto computers running Vista, including full, playable versions of XBox 360 games.
    9. The new Media Center will not only connect with the Xbox 360, but also with Playstation’s PS3 and Nintendo’s Revolution.
    10. Windows Vista will be safe and secure as it won’t be able to be hacked, exploited, or misused.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. ireland

ireland Active member

MICROSOFT LOVE'S YOU,NOT

New content protection on the horizon with Microsoft Vista
    Posted by Dan Bell on 30 August 2005 - 18:54 - Source: ZDNet

ZDNet has put up an article that says Microsoft is going to prove that the PC is a very safe platform for copyrighted content. All it's going to take is for everyone and their brother to purchase their latest and greatest effort "Vista" when it hits the shelves in a couple years. The story goes into a little detail of how the new operating system could differ from XP. I say "could" because the OS is in beta stages now and anything can change. They may want to soothe content providers, that's for sure, but we all know who butters Redmonds bread- the consumer. So if you make too strict a platform you will lose to other OS'es. This is a double whammy for MS as the other cash cow they have is MS Office and they darn sure don't want people getting used to Linux and Open Office.

How does this work?
    One of the biggest changes in Vista is a technology called "Protected Video Path." This will essentially keep video streams encrypted and inaccessible as video is being sent from a DVD (or other copy-protected source) to the monitor, TV or other display. The operating system will also check what the computer is connected to (a monitor, a TV, and so on), do another check to make sure the device really is what it says it is, and then see what kind of plug, or output mechanism, is being used to connect the computer to the device.

Vista will go much further than previous operating systems in checking devices that are several steps downstream, if several digital components are connected to each other. If it finds that there is a device that doesn't respect DRM rules, or if it finds a plug that doesn't support transmission of those copy-protection rules, it might not let the video be sent through that output at all.

Boy, that sounds lovely! I can't wait to pull out my wallet for such an awesome protection for the entertainment industry! Goodness knows they can't fend for themselves with only billions in profits each quarter to pay for their flamboyant lifestyles. It's up to us to fund such endeavors against piracy by purchasing a new operating system. I can see folks calling tech support due to a piece of hardware that discontinues to work, only to find out it's not the hardware, but rather a "feature" of their spanking new OS!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12328

3. ireland

ireland Active member

How Vista Disappoints
    Posted by Zonk on Thursday April 20, @03:37PM
    from the overdramatic-much dept.
    Microsoft Windows
    MCSEBear writes "Writer Paul Thurrott has given Microsoft a verbal dressing down for what has become of Windows Vista. He details Microsoft's broken promises over the years since Longhorn/Vista was first previewed back in 2003. He demonstrates where current Vista builds fail to live up to Microsoft's current hype of the much reduced feature set. From the article: 'I don't hate Windows Vista, and I certainly don't hate Microsoft for disappointing me and countless other customers with a product that doesn't even come close to meeting its original promises. I'm sure the company learned something from this debacle, and hopefully it will be more open and honest about what it can and cannot do in the future ... It some ways, Windows Vista actually will exceed Mac OS X and Linux, but not to the depth we were promised. Instead, Windows Vista will do what so many other Windows releases have done, and simply offer consumers and business users a few major changes and many subtle or minor updates. That's not horrible. It's just not what was promised.'"

READ IT ALL HERE
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp

Buy a Windows Vista PC Today
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_buypc.asp

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

looks like i will NOT be getting Vista OS anytime soon NO WAY!!!!!

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Why I Am Indifferent About Vista
    Written by Thom Holwerda on 2006-04-23 17:40:49 UTC
    Vista is all the rage at the moment (and now even the Sunday Eve Column is about it). I don't think there's a single piece of beta software that has ever been discussed as much as Windows Vista. Obviously this makes sense, since Windows powers roughly 95% of the world's desktop computers; hence an update to that system will surely spark some heavy debates. Personally, I'm indifferent towards Vista. Read on for why.

There are enough new things coming in Windows Vista. The most obvious thing is of course the new interface, known as Aero Glass. It all looks very flashy, and contrary to a lot of FUD being slung around, the new interface is by far not as heavy on the computer's resources as it might seem-- instead of repeating other people's words, I rely on my own experiences before I make any judgements. Whether I tested Vista on my new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, or on my aging desktop Athlon box, Aero Glass barely slowed the system down. Memory usage was comparable to ordinary XP's as well. The same applies for the new Sidebar; a place where you can drop tiny little programs known as Gadgets (similar to Dashboard, which is in turn a direct copy of Konfabulator, which in turn lends its basic idea from Apple's own Desk Accessories, which were in fact not tiny programs, but device drivers to give the old Mac OS the illusion of multitasking) (now ain't that a lot of information in one sentence). The Sidebar process eats up roughly 22-30MB of memory when using 4 gadgets (or widgets or whatever).

However, there are more new things in the user interface. The new shell, for instance, will have all sorts of tiny little additions. One of those is Shadow Folders, which allows any folder to be reverted into a state it was in at any time in the past. And, of course, you can use Vista's system wide search to organize files and folders (much like Apple's Spotlight, but from what I've seen of it, a lot more versatile. My guess is that Leopard will bring features to Spotlight/Finder to bring the Mac OS up to par with vista's system wide search).

GO HERE TO READ IT ALL
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14412

6. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I wonder how long it will take them to brak the copy protection for music and vidoes? it didnt take them long to break XPs own copy protction.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2006
  8. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

aabbccdd
    ..ouch...sticking I will to XP I am *L*

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

As will I. XP as long as it can back up my DVDs.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

only thing sooner or later they will update XP so we cant use software to backup our dvds ,i bet it happens reverting back to SP1 XP is probably a good idea . or windows 2000

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2006
  11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

As of last week I turned automatic updates off. I will install them only after a month or two of being tested by others.

12. regor

regor Regular member

hmmmm... no recent comments on Vista. Everyone elated?

Any opinion on RC2? Seems like RTM may in fact make the November schedule with RC2 actually making it in October.

Any comment on driver readiness from the big players --Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenova, etc. etc.??

Does you car have 4-wheel-drive? I just threw that in for good measure :)

13. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

For people that are using the BETA and RC candidates Have they locked down the video playing ability of windows like some fear?

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Vista schmsta. Linux all the way (even 64-bit); who needs an OS that's so locked down and so anti-consumer, that's not progress that's medieval

Oh and more bloated ie needing faster more expensive machines. pah, i'll stick with my existing PC's thanks

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'm with you creaky. Mine's working fine!

16. regor

regor Regular member

I have my hands on RC2 and it looks pretty solid. Found new drivers for my hardware anyway, that was a treat.

17. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

regor
    Have they locked video and audio down yet?

18. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

DRM won't be implied in the beta clients so people aren't too turned off by vista's need for a powerfull system *marketing techniques, bleh. microsoft maggots*.
    They do that so they can catch unsuspecting consumers "with their pants down" so to speak and force that DRM sh*te on them.
    I'm not touching vista in any way shape or form untill someone cracks the DRM and Kernell lockouts.
    And i say that any self respecting computer fanatic that uses a vista beta just because of the slick looks should trade in their computer for a teething ring and some brain stimulating drugs and vitamins.

19. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

The_Fiend
    aaww I miss...the old sig..I miss foamy :p

I thought the DRM was not turned on yet...MS is not that stupid they know better they have to show people vista wil be a ok OS before you buy then to find out its a POS after you buy it,I hope staples and best buy take note alot of people are going to be returning that POS.

Aculty you will have to wait until the first version of vista is no longer updated you forget MS cracks cracks now ^^

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  20. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Actually, once the first cracks are made, i can probably make workarounds for new M$ patches by downloading the patch manually *without installing* and decompiling it, analyzing the fix, and making a simple workaround. Then i'd install the patch, and laugh my b@lls off.
    Easy peasy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.