1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elemnt55

elemnt55 Guest

Hey i need help with setting up a linksys wrt54gs wireless on vista... I tried settin up a wireless network and it says there's connection problems if anyone can walk me through this it would be awesome thanks

2. vatsup69

vatsup69 Guest

yea i got vista for free.( free upgrade) it is sweet.

3. flynn303

flynn303 Member

well lads just wondering if anyone knows about putting norton anti virus software on vista, i seem to be having a little problem

4. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

5. hipyyy

hipyyy Member

having problems with USB, whenever i choose to turn off devices from USB the device does not turn off. Like when i choose to turn off my memory stick after windows disconnects it, the light at memory stick is still on but it is already disconnected with windows. iPod is not charging. Please help. Thanks

6. Visus

Visus Member

i'm also having the same problem.

7. Visus

Visus Member

i have found \winsxs in the windows dir to be 3 gigs+. is it possible for me to disable desktop search and delete the directory which keeps getting bigger?

8. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

9. dahoncho

dahoncho Member

hi guys just wondering if any one knows if there is a prog that i can use instead of windows media encoder for streaming tv over the internet on vista ultimate 32 bit i like to use tv ants ect ect and vlc player but need to encode it first

10. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

11. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Ok, I want to remove vista from my computer. Currently I have Vista and Xp Mc installed and controlled through the Vista boot manager. I once removed the boot loader and removed vista. First I had rempoved the boot loader with vistabootpro and then I believe I deleted the vista partition, I can't remember. I wish to delete vista from my computer again but this time I would like to know what I'm doing so that I don't mess up my computer.

12. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

XP should be able to reset the boot sectors without wiping the HD,you might have to do a mini re install,but better to make sure stuff is backed up :p

13. dahoncho

dahoncho Member

yeah m8 b ut i wanna also put it out there so other peeps can watch it on p2p streaming thats why i had to use win encoder as it did not have to be all my band with

14. navskin

navskin Regular member

i having problems with the programs for windows vista why are they not making anfor vista is it because it is new , or dose everone feel the same.

15. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I have vista i would suggest give it up to 24 months for them to get most programs vista ready.

16. navskin

navskin Regular member

yes i can now that it take time to move on this year and next year they will start coming for vista. ok that cool i am sure i wait a while.

17. JessLyn

JessLyn Guest

Hey guys, me again!

I am not happy with Vista at home. We have it on my husband's computer now, the one I had a few problems with (Vundo for example) last week. The tech guys at work nuked the hard drive for me and were going to do a clean reinstall of XP or they suggested Vista. Now they said it wouldn't be a big deal, that Vista wasn't much different so DH (hubby) said "ok fine" but I'm noticing some issues, serious ones. For awhile it'll be fine but eventually while you're maneuvering around, the mouse and screen will lock up for about thirty seconds then go back to normal but then the internet connection is gone. You see, we're still on dialup, I know I know, dialup stinks but we're in BFE so we don't have a choice.

A PC expert who is a co-host on a non-computer related talk radio show here in Gainesville told me that the flash bios on the motherboard may need to be updated. He also said that there could be some issues with drivers and Vista for dialup users. Then he mentioned something about disabling the dialup port on the motherboard and installing a new modem. I am not sure if I got that last one right because I was on the air with him trying to write it all down. He also said one more thing...that I would be better off buying a new machine from Dell (where I got this one) with Vista on it. But he said that Dell is having issues with their motherboards and Vista.

Anyway, while I was typing this, it did it again.

My husband is po'd no doubt. I am taking this thing in Monday and having the guys nuke it again and reinstall XP.

In the meantime, WHAT is causing this?

BTW, when the guys had it hooked up to the network at work and installing programs and all, it never locked up or froze once!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  18. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Sounds like when i installed Vista on the computer. Sounds like you have driver issues i am not exactly sure about how to fix up the dial up issue besides of saying got to broadband.

To update your system drivers. Connect to the net and then go and right click on my computer and go to manage and go to device manager and then see what drivers have the yellow exclamation mark and then right click on them one by one and press update drivers and this is while your still on the net. It should search both on your computer and the internet for the updated drivers.

I hope that helps.

19. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

Hey I have a question. I have a recovery partition on a newish HP vista desktop D:/ It keeps giving me a notification that its full (no shit its full) and I should do a cleanup on it (ya thatll help...) this notification pops up every 5 minutes or so my question is can I turn off the notification and save my already sore wrist from clicking it a million more times in my lifetime?

20. JessLyn

JessLyn Guest

I checked the drivers they are all updated. Dialup is our only option, no high speed available here at home.

Ok so...let's narrow this down. First what computer are we using?

Dell Dimension E520 (purchased six months ago)
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz
    Memory 2046 MB
    32-Bit Operating System

Here's a rundown of the situation:

Doesn't freeze up at all when NOT connected to the internet

Doesn't freeze up when connected to the internet via the network at my office

Does have plenty of memory

Drivers are all updated (I checked!)

When it locks up online, everything freezes for about 30 seconds, then goes back to where it was, however the internet connection disconnects.

No spyware or viruses

That's about it guys.

Do you think it could be related to the modem OR the motherboard? The PC guys at work do the work on this thing, I wonder what they will have to do? My DH wants to stick with Vista now because we're getting it at work eventually so we might as well get used to it now, but....this disconnect/freeze thing is a real problem!

Jess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.