1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

people are either ignorant or lazy enough to buy it anyway.

2. Shield22

Shield22 Member

I am in need of some help. My friends internet is sketchy on Vista. He uses wireless internet at the moment and can't change due to living conditions. His roommates reconfigured the internet for more security and left the password the same. He then tried to connect to the internet and it says he security key is invalid, yet everyone else is using the same key and it is working. He is using a wireless G usb adapter and it has worked fine in the past. Could this be a hardware problem or a vista issue. The router is a linksys WRT54g wireless router.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

-Shield

3. tymmy202

tymmy202 Member

hi my brother have vista familial prenium but i can't go on her computer because he put a password can i do something to go to the compute like a hacks or other thing please help me

4. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

If he doesnt have a password for Adminitrator on Safe Mode, then you can go to Safe Mode then Control Panel or Control Pad and remove the password. He will know if you removed the password since you cant get the password back unless you create a new one. Or just go to Safe Mode and enable Guest so you can get online.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if your brother put a password on the pc, he doesn't want you on. either get his permission or get your own computer; either way, respect your family member's wishes.

6. zeebz

zeebz Member

hello all i'm new to this site.
    but i have a problem.

i have windows vista and when i put a cd rom in (i.e. music cd or a game cd) the computer doesn't respond nor can i go into "computer" and select it from one of the drives. (it doesn't appear there) what do i do? cds have worked before but have stopped working for some reason. please help and thanks in advance.

7. krnxdanny

krnxdanny Member

hello everyone, I bought a new dell xps and it comes equipped with vista and honestly, I like xp a lot better. I want to get rid of Vista and go back down to XP. Can someone guide me through what I have to do? I dont have a XP cd or product key =T. and I hate vista!!!!!!

8. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

a good start would collecting all xp drivers for your machine, and buy a copy of xp.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you got a Dell and wanted XP you should have asked for XP. I believe they offer XP until year's end.

10. ireland

ireland Active member

Vista Made Easy: 50 Tips And Tricks
    Sep 14, 2007 - 7:01 AM - by Digital Dave
    Extreme Tech has the list. Some you know... some you don't.

Like driving a new car, adjusting to a new operating system takes time. Discovering new features and functions (so that's how you adjust the steering wheel!) helps to shorten the acclimatization period, letting you turn a mass-market product into one customized for you. Do you prefer bigger, better-looking icons? Is increased security worth a few extra clicks, in your eyes? Would you like to link all your gadgets to the new system the right way—the first time? Then we've got the guide for you.

extremetech.com

Vista Made Easy: 50 Tips And Tricks

Like driving a new car, adjusting to a new operating system takes time. Discovering new features and functions (so that's how you adjust the steering wheel!) helps to shorten the acclimatization period, letting you turn a mass-market product into one customized for you. Do you prefer bigger, better-looking icons? Is increased security worth a few extra clicks, in your eyes? Would you like to link all your gadgets to the new system the right way—the first time? Then we've got the guide for you.

We'll walk you through Vista's many neat features and more than 50 tips on installing Vista optimally, configuring it for you and your family, improving system speed, and turning up its coolness. When we're through, you'll have made the new OS uniquely yours. — next: Tips 1 through 10

START HERE FOR ALL THE TIPS
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2181865,00.asp

11. darko81

darko81 Member

hey need some help...I need to know how to dual boot xp vista onto a seperate hard drive...any ideas???

(lots of pages to look through, sorry if this has been asked before.)

12. ireland

ireland Active member

PC Makers Offering a Bridge Back To XP
    Journal written by kcarlin (99704) and posted by kdawson on Tuesday September 25, @12:08AM
    from the bridge-too-far dept.
    Windows Microsoft
    The Telegraph is reporting on efforts by PC manufacturers to give customers buying systems pre-installed with Windows Vista a much-sought way to downgrade to Windows XP. ( A few months back we discussed Microsoft's similar concession for corporate customers.) "It took took five years and $6 billion to develop, but Microsoft's Vista operating system, which was launched early this year, has been shunned by consumers — with computer manufacturers taking the bizarre step of offering downgrades to the old XP version of Windows."

PC users still prefer Windows to Vista

By Josephine Moulds
    Last Updated: 7:38am BST 25/09/2007

It took took five years and $6bn (£3bn) to develop, but Microsoft's Vista operating system, which was launched early this year, has been shunned by consumers – with computer manufacturers taking the bizarre step of offering downgrades to the old XP version of Windows.

A note on the electronics retailer website Dabs.com reads: "If you're not ready for Vista, you can downgrade to Windows XP without affecting your Sony VAIO warranty and switch back to Vista at any time."

Dell took a similar line earlier this year when it brought back XP on a range of computers for its US customers in response to a deluge of online complaints.

The software giant launched the Vista operating system to great fanfare in January, at least a year late.

Because of Windows' market dominance the system was to be pre-loaded on the majority of new PCs and it was hoped that the release would drive sales of new computers. Microsoft says it has sold more than 60m Vista licences to date, but hardware sales have disappointed.
    advertisement

DSG International, which owns PC World and Currys, said it was forced to discount laptops after a lacklustre response to Vista.

Users complain that computers running Vista crash frequently and many of their favourite programmes such as Windows Mobile do not work with the new operating system.

Microsoft said: "We understand that our [original equipment manufacturer] partners are responding appropriately to a small minority of customers that have this specific request. But, as they have said before, the vast majority of consumers want the latest and greatest technology and that includes Windows Vista."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/09/24/cnpc124.xml

Microsoft to Simplify Downgrades From Vista to XP
    Posted by Zonk on Fri Jun 29, '07 03:30 PM
    from the where-do-you-want-to-go-today-besides-down dept.
    Microsoft IT
    castrox writes "Microsoft has noted that many corporate users want to run XP instead of Vista. They are now simplifying the downgrade process for top OEMs. Currently, all OEMs must call Microsoft whenever a downgrade is done. After the new procedure is put into place, OEMs may submit batches of keys to Microsoft online. According to the Microsoft blog on ZDNet, the 'downgrade software' will still need to be supplied by the end user. The deal is rather perplexing — it does not seem like you can convert the license since the only eligible versions for downgrading is Ultimate and Business. The company has more details available in a pdf document online."

13. boozer15

boozer15 Guest

Hi all, Does anyone know if it is possible to do a repair install of Vista? Or should I just format and go back to XP?

14. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Contrary to my advice, my sister just purchased a laptop which has Vista basic installed....she was also given Norton A/V...another pet hate of mine. Question: I want to install AVG AntiVirus and AVG Anti Spyware but for some reason Vista wont allow me....( half way through d/l it says file is corrupt)...is this normal for Vista???

15. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

gwendolin - can you give me the d/l? i'll download it and try to install it.

Also, anybody knows how to make a computer with vista lock after a certain time it ain't active? (or it is active?)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  16. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  17. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Umm... can you give me a direct link to the download?

18. LaJin9292

LaJin9292 Member

Hello people,I have a serious problem.
    Vista just up and killed my microphone detection.
    I havent used it for a while,only for Yahoo and MSN messenger.
    And now,I have Vocie Changer thingamajigs,Onlinegames,TeamSpeak,and other things I need it for and Vista wont detect either the Mic on the Monitor,nor the one that I bought. Both work for the messengers but other programms never detect it. I tryed everything I could,but I just dont know where to look for the problem.... :( help would be greatly appreciated.

19. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

VIsta can not approve your use of non MS mic,please buy a MS mic with the non optional MS service plan,for only 99.99.99

LOL

sorry I had to :p

whats your sound card?

20. LaJin9292

LaJin9292 Member

I don't know,but it worked with that Voice Morpher thingy before,and now it won't work with that nor anything else than the messengers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.