1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Other than being required to activate your license they shouldn't have their tentacles too deep in your business. You can turn off updating or choose which updates you want via the link above, but other than that the only way to prevent M$ from meddling would be to not connect to the internet.

2. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Hmm, well I'm not about the cut the internet, so I guess do nothing. Hopefully the odds of them singling me out of the billions of MS OS users isn't too great. Thanks for the help.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

When your oem installer decides to upgrade you they will just do it.. maybe you will get lucky and maybe like a load of pc-world HP oem machines around here you will get full on drm... you can tell because suddenly you can't watch any films you don't have a "license" for, or burn any mp3's to cd with the cpu at 98% and ram maxed out... before any fista fanboys come ranting... wait and see.. you will get shafted by the drm as soon as M$ think they have enough people dependent on it...

Only one real fix for that... there are a lot of pretty happy xp and linux users around here now.. with a nice refund of the vista licence fee from M$ (read the EULA hehehe)

I can't believe they are getting away with the anti-trust over here.. it's close to impossible to buy an off the shelf system without also buying fista... you can't even buy one with a blank hdd.. gotta have fista.. what a scam!!!

4. FredBun

FredBun Active member

quote,,When your oem installer decides to upgrade you they will just do it.. maybe you will get lucky and maybe like a load of pc-world HP oem machines around here you will get full on drm... you can tell because suddenly you can't watch any films you don't have a "license" for, or burn any mp3's to cd with the cpu at 98% and ram maxed out... before any fista fanboys come ranting... wait and see.. you will get shafted by the drm as soon as M$ think they have enough people dependent on it...

OK I got a question, I have xp and will keep it as long as I can, but if I had vista, for example I use clone and anydvd to make a backup of my store bought stuff, would vista stop me form doing so?

5. LOCOENG

Nope

6. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

I don't know if Linux talk is allowed here but, you can get a program called Wine (WinEmulator) that will emulate windows programs on Linux. It has it's limitations though, as few people got it to sucessfully emulate strongly dependent programs like Window Media Player 10, 11, etc. Just a thought.

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    would vista stop me form doing so?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope

OK, can you be more specific please, cause what was all this roar about when vista was first coming out that nobody would be able to make a copy of anything anymore music or movies with all the drm or whatever other crap vista would throw at you, just about all the main sites would talk about that, people would bitch about it, was I reading everything wrong?, what happined between than and now?

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Good question FredBun. I'd like to know myself. I went out and bought a new XP machine, while I could, because of the bad hype about Vista. Am still glad I did.LOL

9. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

My desktop runs XP; my lappy is Vista and i'm still working through it learning everything i can about it.

10. LOCOENG

It's the product of some anti-M$ bloggers and conspiracists. I'm sure if the creators of an OS wanted to keep you from making backups they could at any time they want, but right now I use AnyDVD, DVD Shrink, DVDFab, DVD2One, Imgburn, DVD Rebuilder, DVD Flick, ConvertxtoDVD etc. All the programs that I used on XP now work on Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/115872-free-software-list-vista.html

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Intersting, it sure as hell fooled the hell out of me, I agree there are many vista haters out there myself included but for many reasons not just cause of the drm crap, but it wasnt just bloggers, I read from reputable sites like pcworld, logergnome, techrepublic, znet and on, all of them were saying the same things.

I remember wanted to buy a new pc and could not anymore at my local circuitcity or bestbuy etc. cause I was to late for XP, even all the people at those stores said the same thing, I remember asking could they revert xp back for me and all said oh to much trouble cant be done, I even asked a local computer repair shop cause as many people know the people at best buy or circuitcity are not the smartest, so the people at the computer shop told me it can be done but they cant gaurantee anything cause they to said it could cause many problems, go figure.

Now I read many people do revert back to xp, we even have sites you can order computers from they sell vista with xp downgrades they supple for you even though I would call it an upgrade thats how much I think of vista, and now you say you can do all these things with no problem, man would I like to sit all those experts on a table right now and ask what the hell was that all about, it was big news in the beggining, and not even one little statement to recant any of it now, bad policy. Thanks for the comeback LOCOENG

12. LOCOENG

I was one of those guys who said he'd never go to Vista, but I tried it on my new rig and loved it...now I have to intention of going back to XP.

13. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i've been using anydvd, imgburn, dvd shrink, alcohol 120%, and nero with no problems on vista. they have never given the "works for older OS" popup.

UAC is annoying, so disabling it is recommended.

it is possible to get a standard 32bit vista to see 4gigs. you'll have to do some tweaking to enable it. LINK to guide.

14. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Ya, I may not 'love' it per say, but I've grown used to it. When I got my graduation laptop, it came with Vista - what a shock. I was too lazy to install XP or even Linux so I just started putting my programs on Vista. Now, I have so many programs already installed, it would be more of a pain to move all my files and settings and stuff over to another OS than to just deal with the problems that come up in Vista, not that I have many. After disabling UAC and all of Vista's other security stuff, then installing AVG free and ZoneAlarm, I haven't had many/any problems as far as security goes. Of course, I just recently installed Fedora, so I will probably only be using it for playing around with WEP cracking and Linux proprietary stuff.

15. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Hi, I have a question relating to vista.
    I'm leaving in a while to buy a new acer laptop that comes with Vista home premium (and maybe even SP1). I asked the salesman if the laptop came with a recovery CD or not. He said laptops no longer come with Vista recovery CDs, but that I can make one myself. He didn't know how, so here is my question:
    Can I make a recovery/installation CD of vista, and if so how?????????

This is the first thing I want to do when I get the laptop to be on the safe side

Thanks

16. LOCOENG

17. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

So I can use this CD/DVD to do a full format and re-install in case the laptop comes with a ton of bloatware???

Thanks again

18. LOCOENG

19. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

20. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Sorry, but I really get what you are saying. could you explain what you mean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.