1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

@Ray92-
    I don't think Vista itself has a recovery disk maker. However, usually the manufacturers install some sort of proprietary program that you can use to create recovery disks. For example, my Sony Vaio came with a Sony Vaio proprietary program that I used to create my restore disks. I suggest finding the program that came with your laptop (look for a start help center as it may have a link or directions), make the disks, then either (a) remove all Vista/manufacturer crap programs, or (b) trash Vista altogether and install XP, Linux, or something. I would recommend (b) if you have enough know how to do that. I probably should say though, that I am still running Vista because I was too lazy to deal with it at first, so now I've got all my programs and stuff on it.

2. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

I'll stick with Vista, as I don't really mind it. I just wanted to know if it was possible to create a restore disk before I bought my acer, as I've I heard they come loaded with tonnes of crap.

Once I'll get it, I'll look for a program that will let me make a restore disk

Thanks for your replies

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Sorry ment that laptops may not come with recovery discs. but they do come with revovery programs besides the windows based one. And they just require a few DVD's and you can create your own recovery discs for the laptops you buy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

No problem. As a side note, it's quite shameful that customers nolonger get physical copies of the actual installation disk of the OS with the computers they buy. We shouldn't have to make restore disks with our own disks because our already expensive license doesn't come with a physical install disk.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

So what happens if your laptop doesn't have a burner?

You have bought nothing with vista.. that's the scam, and it's a disgrace!

6. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

When I got my laptop I used the included software from Acer and it took 2 DVDs to make the recovery disk and one with all drivers/software.

I have another question.
    Every time I open a folder for the first time in Vista the default view is list/details which I hate.
    Is there any way to change the default icons in Vista to tiles, so that every time I open some folder all the files and sub folders are shown as tiles???

Thanks

Help is much appreciated

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

8. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Thanks LOCOENG
    It was just what I was looking for

9. LOCOENG

You are very welcome ;)

10. moon1990

moon1990 Member

hi every1 plz help me on this

i have a hd with 2 partitions. win xp is in partition c while my backup files are in partition d. i want to install windows vista by formatting the c drive.(clean new install).everything is fine till here.but the problem is that if i do not like vista,can i go back to xp by just formatting the c drive and istalling xp again??(not doing anyting to d partition since i have important stuff in it).

also can my pc handle vista without any problem specs are below

intel core 2 dup e45oo 2.2 ghz
    corsair xms2 2gb ram ddr 2(single stick)
    xfx 9600 gt xxx edition

11. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

You shouldn't have a problem with either upgrading to vista or downgrading back later, by formatting you C drive. Nothing will happen to your D drive, because your pc will treat each partition like a different drive.

12. LOCOENG

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@moon1990

If you're so worried about what will happen to your important stuff on your D drive, I would have those files backed up to another HDD or a very least on cd or dvd discs. HDDs do crash now and then. Back up your stuff, before $hit happens!

14. jackalguy

jackalguy Member

pardon my newbness on the forums, but i just registered my account fairly recently. here's my question (network related):

i just recently got charter internet service installed in my apartment, but i wasn't aware the they were going to give me a wireless router/modem combo instead of just a modem. i currently own a linksys wireless-n router (that i rigorously setup to my specifications) and would much rather use that than the crappy netgear one charter provided me with. i have never experienced setting up a network with modem that is also a router, however. so my question is what do i have to do within my linksys router and the netgear router/modem to make it so that the netgear is only acting as a modem and the linksys is acting as my home's router? be as detailed as you like :)

thank you in advance, and i don't know what i'd do without afterdawn!

15. LOCOENG

16. jackalguy

jackalguy Member

17. jackalguy

jackalguy Member

from the sounds of that article it seems that may solve the problem of the modem/router combo conflicting with my linksys router (the one i want to use as my "primary" router). have to admit i never thought of forwarding the ports to the linksys. my only concern with this method is that would i be circumventing any firewall protection [either] router may have, i.e. would i be compromising all the benefits i get from my high-end linksys router? it doesn't seem like i would be since i am forwarding the ports to the linksys, but it never hurts to ask.

also, i'm wondering if it is actually necessary for the second port forwarding step; do i really have to forward from the linksys (second router in the chain) directly to a specific device, because i have other peripherals on the network that need to access the internet as well (xbox 360, wii, other computers).

also, while i'm on this line of thought, can i use the method described in that article to utilize both routers and essentially give myself more ethernet ports in which i can connect more devices, e.g. 5+ devices instead of the 4 your typical router limits you to, or am i overstepping my bounds?

sorry for all the questions, but i admit networking is not my strong suit. thank you in advance for all the assistance.

18. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Hey all, I have another vista question

For some reason, autoplay just stopped working on my laptop.

It used to work, however now nothing happens when I insert a cd/dvd/flash disk or even a hard drive

I like autoplay, and would like to find a way to make it work again

Thanks

19. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Sorry I can't give you an in depth answer right now, but look at control panel->autoplay. It's just autoplay for files such as audio and video, but maybe it'll restore a little of what you want.

20. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Thanks for the reply, I tried that but it didn't work
    I restored them to defaults, and messed around with em a little, but all to no avail

Thanks anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.