1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ireland, whats with all the boxes in your last post as makes it hard to read??

2. ireland

ireland Active member

i see that i could not get rid of the box's..its some thing with trying to copy and paste off there site.

fixed it..had to copy into works and then copy it from works to here
    enjoy

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  3. ireland

ireland Active member

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

What, are you lot STILL on about this ?
    Just accept it, vista will suck for anyone that likes the freedom to (fill in the blank*] with their computer.
    And even if people crack the stream and media protections and DRM schemes, microsucks will KEEP ON PATCHING THEM.
    Why the hell else would the RIAA and MPAA endorse this new OS so fully, and pay some of the advertising for it ? *yes, they actually did that, google it*.

Anyone who doesn't get it yet should just buy vista and STFU.
    And don't come here complaining afterwards either, i'll personally make sure there will be at least 20 posts saying "we told you so".

*guess you can tell the vacation i took invigorated me and made me hate microsoft even more*

5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

The_Fiend
    I see someone needs a hug and to dip noobs into the sun ^^

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

when dan's right, he's right. and right now, he's right. right? right.

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Auslander
    0-o
    stop summoning aniem girls in my head that say dim/catchy thigns that rime...at least the one that ends all sentances in desu is gone...for now....

damnit..I added another word to FF spell checker....other than replaceging the file itself can you edit words in it?

8. ireland

ireland Active member

if ye get VISTA-POOP this is what ye have to do to use it
    a RIAA and MPAA,studios and microsoft kiss arse..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. ireland

ireland Active member

hurry up and get vista and a piece of cake..

Windows Trojan masquerades as Vista hack
    Pirates sink 'selves
    By Gavin Clarke → More by this author
    Published Wednesday 6th December 2006 14:34 GMT

A week after Windows Vista's official launch hackers have devised their first attack, targeting pirates trying to install illegal copies of Microsoft's operating system.

A supposed Windows Vista crack called Windows Vista All Versions Activation 21.11.06 is reportedly doing the rounds, offering those tempted by the chance of sticking it to Microsoft the ability to install illegal versions of Windows Vista.

However, the software is not a Windows Vista crack and pirates get something they didn't expect - installation of a Trojan called PSW.Win32.LdPinch.aze - something with a "high" threat level.

Apparently, most anti-virus scanners can recognise the Trojan, but NOD32 and the latest software from Norton won't.

The installer follows in the footsteps of a Windows XP hack circulated by the devils0wn group in 2001, which allowed users to bypass product activation of Windows XP.

Windows Vista is currently available for download only to customers on Microsoft's volume licensing deals and won't become generally available until January. The Trojan would therefore likely hit certain business users and those working in businesses passing on copies to friends, family, or colleagues.

Worryingly for business users in general, though, is the fact the Windows Vista DVD has been designed to make it easy for third parties' software to be inserted with the operating system for mass distribution. That potentially lets hackers insert their code just as easily as Microsoft partners.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/06/windows_vista_trojan/

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Zippy, if you so much as attempt to hug me, i'll whack you over the head with my 12-pound skateboard.
    And yes, i could do with some sun, all i saw was rain.
    You'd think creaky would at least have sent me to jamaica on that 2 week vacation, but noooooo, he had to send me to russia... ;-)

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

oops i could have sworn that's what the flight ticket said, damn online holiday booking systems, probably running under Vista

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Methinks it must have been running Windows ME.

13. creaky

good point, also i'd even choose Ubuntu over Vista or WinMe, that sums up Vista for me

14. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

What's Ubuntu?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

a linxu distro.

16. creaky

[​IMG] except i'm not human

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i figured as much!!!!!

18. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Why do you keep saying that? Non Homo-Sapiens cannot use the keyboard, and neither do they have such a good sense of humor! ;)

EDIT: BTW, is ubuntu free?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  19. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

20. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Does anyone know this?

Vista kernel fix 'worse than useless'
    Microsoft has modified Windows Vista to prevent a high-profile exploit demonstrated at security conferences this summer but the fix creates as many problems as it solves, according to the security researcher who identified the original problem.

The bug, demonstrated by Joanna Rutkowska of security firm Coseinc, created a possible mechanism for hackers to bypass security protection built into 64-bit versions of Vista in order to inject potentially hostile code into the kernel of prototype versions of Windows. This so-called "pagefile attack" defeated a feature called Vista kernel protection.

Windows Vista Release Candidate 2 frustrates this attack by blocking write-access to raw disk sectors for user mode applications, even if they are executed with elevated administrative rights. Rutkowska writes that Microsoft's fix is fraught with difficulties because it prevents legitimate applications, such as disk editors and recovery tools, from functioning without their own signed kernel-level driver. Hackers might be able to hijack such legitimate drivers so all Microsoft has done has created extra work for developers in displacing - but not resolving - the problem.

During a presentation at the Black Hat conference in August, Rutkowska explained two other approaches Microsoft might take in defeating the page-file attack as well as highlighting the problems with simply blocking write-access to raw disk sectors for user mode applications. "Microsoft actually decided to ignore those suggestions and implemented the easiest solution, ignoring the fact that it really doesn’t solve the problem," she writes.

Keep it up, Microsoft!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.