1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask your Windows 7 (beta) questions here

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by omegaman7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I'm running Nero 7.10.1.0 and haven't seen any issues yet in limited testing, will try to play some burned DVD disks and see what happens. Can burn with AnyDVD/CloneDVD with now problem.

2. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I was able to use Outlook Connector with Outlook 2007 for my Hotmail account in Windows 7. You could also run Windows Live Messenger for email updates.

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

excuse me gentlemen i seriously dont wish to a start argument (as im barely around to defend my self lol), but so far (and i seriously mean) how is windows 7...err going?? is there any serious icebreaker that is seperating it from vista>?

i couldn't get Ie to run, and ubuntu 8.x (i dunno version) used to run just fine on the computer,and it cancels out of my card reader every other second, anyway it was just an experiment but it didn't even seem to wanna work with maw new blue tooth gadgets...so yeah lol, i get its a beta...it but seems like starting new could help...

critical mass anyone? lol....

but seriously this driver conundrum is really dam annoying with windows,not recognizing products on a hub after a reboot and such, just really really not good at all Mr.vista, i gave up lol, didn't use vista tried it...flopped back to an old xp image...oh how we so badly wanted to play maw new games *sob *sob.....if your willing to tangle with windows 7 then i super-special awesomely suggest that you try some thing free at that point :D

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

A few of the kid's favorite games like Virtual Villagers and some PopCap games don't want to run properly, so the experim,ent may not last much longer. Our scanner isn't recognized, our printer has limited functionality, One USB hub won't work at all??? If one has a newer machine with the latest hardware the problems will go away I bet. But for now I'm sticking with XP on the main computer and maybe Beta 7 on the kid's computer for a little longer.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I like Win 7 32 bit, but!!!!!! When it's finally released, it damn well better be able to be uninstalled without having to wipe my hard drive! You can not format the boot drive! Major PITA! It has some issues with some of the software I like to use, so I won't be installing it again in the near future. It also racked the hell out of my DVD-Rom drive. I though that the Win 7 disk had exploded, as it made a horrible bang!. Now the drive won't read most CDs or boot from them, but will play DVDs! I've read about this problem several time since I experienced this problem.

Oh we have to thank those wonderful bastards at M$. There latest updates have taken away a lot of XP-Pro's speed. I guess they want Vista to look better for the Judge when M$ winds up in Court, later this year! XP ran fine on my old Dell Dual 1GHz P3 for 5 years, and now I'm constantly running out of memory, which never happened before. Their latest trick is to not allow you to use certain things unless you accept their upgrades. Wouldn't allow me to access any of my email with Hotmail! Gmail worked fine (if you love spam)! I get more spam with gmail in one week than I've gotten with hotmail in 5 years!

I'm glad in a way that I tried Win 7, as I had planned on trying it on the new Kuma build. Now it will get a nice fresh copy of XP-Pro SP2! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow man. Cant say I had to deal with that one! Ive installed 32 bit twice, on two separate machines, 64bit on my current BADBOY, LOL. My badboy is a joke to alot of people I imagine. But... alot of people are impressed by its Smooth operation. So...the only way to remove 7, is to "KILLDISK"??? To those who dont know what kill disk is, its a utility that wipes data regardless of what it is. ESSENTIAL for nasty viruses, or just want a VERY clean install! Really havnt had too many prob's. though im not really a power user exactly. Im probably gonna take a look at at several linux builds as well. Debian, suse, ubuntu, etc. I think, correct me if im wrong, that Debian has the most eye candy to date. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG! Ok Ok, yes...im addicted to eye candy, LOL

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Had only installed 7 Beta on a laptop, well had installed it twice. In between and after the second install i had no problem at all in reusing the hard drive for both XP and Linux..
    ..if in doubt just use a Linux partitioning disk such as System Rescue CD etc etc (though i didn't have to), that'll wipe any trace of 7 Beta

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Removed the 7 Beta from the kid's machine, reinstalled XP again and it is working fine, just formatted the hard drive using the XP Install disk. I'm shelving this on the same shelf as Vista.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My problems all had to do with the boot sector. Even using the Boot Manager, it wouldn't boot from the XP disk, it just kept booting Win 7. I pulled the plugs on the Win 7 drive and installed XP on my other drive. Then after putting the first drive back in, XP would not see the Win 7 drive, nor would it boot from it. My big mistake was trying to be clever and use the Boot Manager (F12) as I had done before with 98 & XP. It even set it up as Dual Boot (which was a surprise), with it's own boot manager coming up on screen. After that it wouldn't boot Win 7 at all, but it would boot to the "Other operating system"!

When I would try to boot the Win 7 drive from the XP disk, I got a message saying that it couldn't boot to this drive. I tried several different Acronis disks and WD Data Lifeguard. I finally disconnected the second drive and got it to boot with Killdisk 2 by selecting CD-Rom in the boot manager, and wiped the disk clean. The real surprise was that even when I would select "Other operating system", and booted from XP, it would give me an Access Denied message when I tried to format the Win 7 drive from XP!

I do have to say that I used Win 7 for about half a day and I liked it, other than some software incompatibility issues. It would play DVDs with the Windows 7 Media Player, but it wouldn't work with Power DVD 7! Micro$oft still has a lot of work to do if they expect me to buy Win 7! My attitude is that software that I've had for years and like that worked with 98, 2000 and XP, should also work with Vista and Win 7. If it doesn't, I won't be be switching to Win 7!

Russ

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It's funny, but every person I let play around with the x2 4400+ I built, really liked it. To a man, they all commented on it's smoothness! By the numbers, the Intel's are faster, but the numbers are deceiving! I find that the time it takes to do anything is no where near as slow as the numbers would indicate it should be. I'm champing at the bit to get my new Kuma build going. I am so looking forward to it!

Russ

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

XP runs VERY smooth on my 2001 HP 1.4ghz amd. Though I wiped its drive and put windows 7 on it for the heck of it. The only thing really bottlenecking it IMO, is its HDD! Graphics are good, no real cpu bottleneck. NEEDS MORE RAM. Once again, im running into not getting a straight answer on how much ram it'll support. Multiple sites say 1gb, where others say 2. And I swear once upon a time, somewhere in my bios, or a bootable mem diag disc stated that my limit was 2gb. I think im gonna believe my board over what sites state. Whats really interesting is when I search BY board, more often than not, its 2gb. But when I search by Pavilion 7905, its 1gb. So HP is underestimating it for some reason. Could be an interesting experiment. pc2100 isnt too expensive, I think i'll try it some time.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Trust me on this one, I had a 7905 that I picked up to sell and the manual says 2GB!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, Your awesome. Once again, you stear me in the right direction. EXCELLENT. I was really leaning that way. :D
    Perhaps I can find a mobile edition of my cpu(or better) and see how it handles a little bump. I know its WAY behind the times, but I love playing with stuff. Besides, it'll make an excellent mediacenter (minus bluray playback), as well as some emulators. It ran N64 roms rather nicely. It seems like it didnt like PSX though. Although that could have been a Direct x issue for all I know.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I don't see any problem getting around 3GHz out of the 5200+ with decent air cooling and good case ventilation. Water cooling should yield somewhere around 3.2GHz Turn up the wick on it a little bit! Don't let nuthin but fear hold you back. Just keep an eye on the temps and keep the CPU voltage under 1.45v!

Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, yah... I dont see temperature becoming an issue. It averages under 30c as of late, idle. 36-38 rebuilder load. Unfortunately its a locked cpu. The only way to get around it would be with a software override. hmmm...amd overdrive???

Edit, Sorry about off topic :(

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...AMD overdrive is COMPLETELY incompatible with Windows 7!!! It tells you while unpacking that it REQUIRES vista or Xp! So I tried running it in compatibility mode, TO NO AVAIL. Only one option remains, FORCE install. Last time I did that, I locked up one of the cores. And being this is a CPU utility, im thinking im looking for a windows 7 compatible O.C. utility.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

well...it looks like my windows 7 testing is coming to a screeching halt. I just discovered the mother of all bugs. Now correct me if im being stupid please. Because I am somewhat newb.
    Ive been downloading utilities to run on both windows 7 and my XP machine. My xp(HP) machine has no internet access. I simply transfer files via usb flash drive. Now...my main tower has 2 OS drives. An XP drive and a Windows 7 drive. When I transfer installation packages via windows 7, they are corrupted on my Xp(HP) machine. Now when I boot up my XP hard drive in my main tower(MSI), TO MAKE SURE MY HEADER isnt fried, and transfer via XP to flash drive...its fine when I transfer it to my XP (HP) machine. simply put...Windows 7 has now began corrupting installation packages that get transfered to/through usb. Any thoughts before I pull the plug guys/gals. Ive never seen anything quite like this. But it does indeed seem to be isolated to the windows 7 drive!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hot off the press - No More Windows 7 Betas

19. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I wonder if there's some type of drive encryption built into the Windows 7 installation. I'll have to look at mine, but I've been transferring from XP to 7 via network with no problem, but can't remember if I went the other way or not.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Appreciate the feedback buddy. :) Sounds logical. I wonder if there is some setting that will prevent it, or if ive got a different problem entirely! I guess im gonna have to reinstall and try the fresh copy and see what that does.