1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask your Windows 7 (beta) questions here

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by omegaman7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Russ, now you see why i won't allow Windows Updates on any of my machines, all my XP installs are as old as the hills ie only a handful of updates are on my SP2 slipstreamed cd :)

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Amen to that creaky :D

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's to be shown in Court as an example of some of the things M$ does in exercising it's power over you, and eventually forcing you to do things their way! Just another "Nail"! These changes only came about in the last week or so! It ran beautiful when I first fired it up last Tuesday! I was even playing Age of Empires, The Warrior Chiefs on it. now, it's unplayable!

Russ

Russ

4. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

What on Earth are you guys talking about? SP3 does not make the system run slower! In fact, it's only a rollup of the 90 or so hotfixes that came out since SP2's release, along with the IE7 installer.

The only thing that would "tank" your system in this case, would be a load of temp files and fragmented files/directories. I work with a network of 1300 systems, and a disk cleanup and defrag suddenly makes XP run faster (who'd thunk it?) That's also considering the enterprise antivirus software and firewalls that we have in place keep most of the junk and malware from accumulating on the pc.

As for the ME/2000 comparison, there is none. ME was in the lineage of 95/98 while 2000 comes from the NT line. Both were released at the same time. XP was a direct upgrade of 2000. Nearly ALL applications that worked on 2000 work on XP because they are directly related Operating Systems, unlike Vista/7.

I would honestly think there is some type of hardware issue if are having the problems you are describing.

5. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Omega,

That is still odd about the file transfer. Even with the TabletPC that had the failing hard drive, I was able to transfer, copy, etc. without any issues. I've been going back and forth between XP and 7 systems, probably 3-4 computers, over the network and flash drives, all with no problem. I'm out of guesses for ya!

6. creaky

My point was purely about not allowing any of Microsoft's updates (other than the contents of SP2) onto any of my kit.

Each to their own, i had 2 bad experiences where a few updates got onto the machine (due to accidental turning on of Auto Updates) and those 2 machines played up like merry hell until a rebuild. I know millions of people buy into the Auto Update thing, just not me.
    On Linux systems i'm ok with it, no fear of DRM functionality sneaking in there :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah... My poor brothers computer got SP3 thrown at him. His computer was running slow one day when he called me. So I had him check a few things. He told me that Automatic updates was on. I was like, OH NO!!! Told him to type, "WINVER" and it said that SP3 was installed. To this date I havnt removed it. But certain bugs remain. We both are kinda busy.

Windows 7 is definetely the culprit, with the BUG, or setting thats going on. There is simply too much logic in my face to deny it! I dont know how sprodigy is able to get by, but this weekend I will get to the bottom of this BS!
    1. There is nothing wrong with my USB header.
    2. I have multiple flashdrives, THEY'RE FINE.
    I can say this because my XP boot drive does not experience the problem when transfering.......UH OHHH.... I just realized something. I dont know if it makes much difference, STILL ILLEGAL!
    Im running 64bit Windows7. It still shouldnt be altering the files though!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Omega, I never asked if you were running 32 bit XP and 64 bit 7. I'm running all 32 bit with no problems, so perhaps you did stumble onto a bug. I would let the MS community know (it is your responsibility as a beta tester, remember the EULA/TOS?)

As for SP3, we haven't had a problem with it on our network of 1300 machines. Only issue was on some laptops, it wouldn't install through automatic updates or the "install while shutting down" which would just sit there forever (literally if you let it) without actually "installing". We had to manually install it with the redistributable, but that was still isolated to only a handful of machines.

As for updates wrecking havoc, the only time I experienced that was with a Realtek LAN driver that Auto Updates would always update and install, it would kill my network connection and the only repair was to use the MS System Restore and block that particular update. I'm not sure what it did or where it came from, but it could never be fixed by rollbacks, uninstalling, or even updating from the Realtek site.

I won't rule out very strange things happening, but I will say from experience that it may only happen in a few specific cases.

9. creaky

Sure, as i say i'm sure millions of people are happy with their Auto updates. (I'm a Unix guy so the thought of Auto Updates doesn't sit well with me, though i'm not against them on Linux boxes of my own, but on big Unix iron everything is done manually, and rightly so!).

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I'm not sure about the SP3 problem. It made it onto one of my systems before and was fine. For whatever reason, its not fine on his.
    Yes, im running 64bit windows 7 and 32bit xp. Ive ran both 32 bit and 64bit windows 7. I reinstalled 64bit to no avail! So, whether its doing what its supposed to illegaly, or a major bug, I do not know. I think I started to send them the info once but was distracted, and never finished it. I'll do that this morning.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, OK. I dont know what the heck!!! 32 bit doesnt have the same issue! So, 64 bit seems to be the only culprit. If no one else has submitted this problem, then it must be something to do with the board or cpu's ability to run 64bit mode. Any thoughts on this? I guess now, I can reinstall 64bit, on my NEW board and see what happens. Is it even worth it??? If the general public needs to embrace the new OS, then whats the point? I happen to like windows 7 ALOT! Powerful enough equipment will run it seamlessly!!!

12. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Creaky, LOL... forgot to mention that we restrict automatic updates on that same 1300 PC network I mentioned earlier! Wonder why we would do that? ;-)

Omega, glad to hear things are working. I for one am pumped about Windows 7, now I'll just have to figure out how I'll be busting Windows Media DRM on the new OS and I'll make the jump when it launches... or maybe I'll rig a virtual machine for that dirty work.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...I think im just gonna chalk it up to a RARE occurence. I suppose time will tell however. There is no problem within the OS itself. Its mearly sharing data (installer packages) with XP when the problem presents itself. I can see myself moving on to windows 7 with in a year, sooo...I could care less about this minor bug. The strengths out weigh!!! :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  14. creaky

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009