1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratio or Resize Problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by dankelly, Jan 14, 2005.

1. dankelly

dankelly Member

Im still relatively new to XVID encoding (been doing it for only a few months) and I have just encountered a small problem. I am currently trying to convert a DVD to an XVID as per my usual steps which are :-

Rip the DVD with Smart Ripper
    (Stats are PAL, 25fps,Interlaced, 16:9, 720*576)
    Demux with DVD2AVI
    Run that file through VFAPI codec
    Then encode with Virtual Mod.
    Rejoin back with Nan Dub

The problem I am having is with the VirtualMod encoding. When i watch the VOB files through PowerDVD, the aspect ratio is fine and you can see the black lines at the top and bottom. When I setup the encoding with Virtual mod and after the resize filter, I then add a Null Tranform filter which i always trim the black lines off to maintain the aspect ratio. However when i go into this filter, the movie is taking up the whole screen so there is no black lines to crop. The outcome after the whole process is a video that looks like the old 4:3 format and looks terrible.

Has anyone encountered this before and know a solutions or has any tips to try.

Kind Regards,
    Daniel.

PS the movie is the one of the new DVD series by Steven Speilberg "Taken"

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

After you crop the black lines, you will have to resize it so it is as close as possible to the aspect ratio.

For example 16:9, re-size to 720 x 400. Or if it's 2:35, re-size it to 720 x 304.

However, Power DVD seems to stretch out DivX movies to the full screen if the black borders are cropped. So I would recommend you use an alternate media player. Like BS player etc... Even Windows Media Player will play it to the correct aspect ratio.

3. dankelly

dankelly Member

Thanks for the reply. However my problem seems to be when i go into cropping in Virtual Dub, there are no black lines at the top of bottom to crop.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Rip DVD to HD using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode.
    Enable stream processing and demux audio to separate file at this time.
    Create 2-pass XviD AVI using GordianKnot:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    (You probably won't require the GKnot System Pack)
    I do the audio manually, either 2-channel AC3 or MP3 made from AC3 5.1, but GKnot offers to do this if you wish.
    Finally, rejoin back with NanDub, known as interleaving or 'muxing'.
    Interleave audio every 10 frames (AC3 or CBR MP3) or every frame (VBR MP3).
    Manually encoding with VirtualDub or VDubMod is a thankless task, for reasons you have stated - and others.
    GordianKnot creates a DGIndex Project File (*.d2v) from the VOBs on your HD, then serves the VOBs to VDub for encoding via AviSynth, using advanced error-correction capabilities.
    For those less technically inclined, there is AutoGordianKnot (AutoGK) but the full GK offers more control, I think you'd do fine with it :)
    I have 146 examples of its excellent product, on a big ol' SATA drive. That's 146 and counting... lol
    You may frame up your video by sizing/cropping, anamorphic or not, PAL or NTSC, right at the start of the project when you first open the D2V project file.
    Trust me, I have been doing this since the 90's, you don't want to make AVIs any other way ;-)
    Ask back here if you have any concerns; hope this helps.
    Regards

Edit: BTW the latest DVD Decrypter is always built-in to the GK package, making things even easier for us!
    L8R

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005