1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASPI for DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by defline, Feb 16, 2005.

1. defline

defline Guest

On the DVD burner it says system ASPI not installed, but when I switch to Nero ASPI, it says it's installed & working. My question is Do I need ASPI & what is it for!
    Thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What is the make and model of your drive?

3. defline

defline Guest

NEC 3520A
    Thanks

4. defline

defline Guest

Forgot to say that I got the info from Nero info tool about the burner, it does write excellent.My pc is a Dell 8400 P4 with 3.2GHZ HT.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can go ahead and download and install ASPI layer from here http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe
    If everything is working fine though you may just as well leave everything as is.

The term 'ASPI' is an acronym that stands for: Advanced SCSI Programming Interface. All the following terms are synonymous: ASPI layer, ASPI drivers, ASPI interface. The term 'SCSI' [scuzzy] is an acronym that stands for Small Computer Systems Interface.

An ASPI layer consists of four files that 'lie between' various programs [software] and certain devices, such as CD/DVD-ROM drives and CD/DVD burners/writers [hardware]. Software programs such as CD digital audio extractors [commonly known as 'Rippers'] and CD-writing utilities such as CDRWin use/require ASPI drivers to 'communicate with' SCSI devices.

Many people don't realize however, that the files contained in an ASPI layer are also used in systems that *don't* contain a SCSI adapter, or SCSI devices .. for things such as ripping CD audio and burning CD/DVDs.

Hope that helps ya out :)