1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASPI Layer for computer????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Acme8790, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

How do you know if you have an ASPI layer in your computer. I have an older gateway computer that I am useing to backup my DVD's. This is my first time doing it and saw at on a thread that you need to have an ASPI layer properly installed. Can anyone help me find out if I have one installed?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

You can use a cool little utility called ASPICHK to verify if you have an ASPI layer and if it's working correctly. Here's a link:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Some people can get by fine without ASPI and others find they need it for certain apps to work correctly on their system.

If you find you need ASPI, then I'd recommend ForceASPI which is a good one. Here's a link to the download and instructions:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-101614.html

Let us know if this helps :)

3. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

Thanks for the info... It does not seem to hard to back up your DVD's I am in the middle of my first one now. It is Shrek for the wife to let the kids use on there own. THe compression rate was slightly over 60%. Will that view like the original? With the extras I even took that lower, to like 45%. Is there anyway to cut the extras out completely?

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes, I am one of the fortunate to not have to use the ASPI layer interface...........eh Nephs...(wink, wink)....LOL.....

Yes you can remove ALL the extras including subtitles/angles/unneeded audio streams etc - this will reduce the compression rate needed for the main movie - thus retaining as much as the original quality as possible.

However in order to help you, we need to know what your process is, ie - dvd decrypter/dvd2one/dvdshrink etc, that way we can direct you to a suitable guide or even point you in the right direction......

5. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I use dvd shrink for the whole process from beginning to end. I used a very helpfull guild found the guildes section in afterdawn. It did not get into much detail about how to delete the extras and things of such. I would like to get the compression ratio as high as I can, so I would like to delete the extras because the kids never watch them anyway. In addition to answering how to get rid of the extras, what is a good number to keep your ratio at so that your quality wont be affected? I have been doing my best to keep it above 60% I am currently backing up the butterfly affect and got that ratio over 70%. I appreciate your help. I want to thank you in advance. so thanks :)

6. 2005

2005 Regular member

If you are using dvd shrink just make sure of two things.. .for one make sure you analyzie every dvd you back up... im talking about the "deep analysis". Seconly never go below 70% on the compression rate, i myself never go below 75% if it says it needs to go lower then that i just rip out everything but the video and audio.. no menus or extras or anything else

7. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

how do you get rid of the extras and menues and stuff? Without the menues will the movie just start playing on its own?

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

There is guide for dvdshrink 3.1 here http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

It includes a section for re-authoring - this section shows you exactly what is on the full disk, and then you can eliminate what you don't need.....

From what you have written, you want to keep the movie and one audio stream.....