1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asrock Continued

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by IonÅphis, Mar 29, 2005.

1. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

Ok, I know I've asked part of this before, but I never really got a straight answer and people just started going off topic talking again, like always, about which board is the best and etc... which I don't really wanna know cause I already have my motherboard I just have questions about IT, not about some other board.. so please don't feed this thread with stuff that won't help...

Ok, I have an Asrock K7S41GX BIOS P2.00 Motherboard
    Using AMIBIOS SETUP UTILITY Version 3.31a
    Processor AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+

The specs that I find everywhere on the internet and the guys at stores tell me are the following:

Memory Max. 2GB DDR
    2 x DDR DIMM
    DDR333/266

VGA Integrated Real 256E 3D Graphics
    Shared Memory Max. 64MB

However my BIOS setup shows the following

DRAM Frequency - Auto
    133MHZ (DDR266)
    166MHZ (DDR333)
    200MHZ (DDR400)

Onboard VGA Shared Memory - Auto
    32MB
    64MB
    128MB

AGP Aparture Size - 16MB
    32MB
    64MB
    128MB
    256MB

2 questions -
    1) Can this motherboard use 400mhz memory pts. or is the max really 333mhz
    2) How much shared memory max can it use 64MB or 128MB?

I remind that my BIOS is P2.00 (maybe upgraded??)
    but I can´t find the especs for the K7S41GX BIOS P2.00 Anywhere, can someone finally clear this up.. please?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your post pretty well answers you right there. can use 400 ddr, 128meg shared for vga & change the apeture size to 128meg. when screen 1st posts showing amibios it will show the version & date code of that bios near top left of screen

3. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

well yea... can anyone actually put that up in the net... cause it bothers me that wherever I look i cant find that and all the shop keepers keep telling me that this board can´t do either of those things....

4. ddp

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is yours the K7S41GX or the K7S41, because the manual actually states that:

K7S41 supports pc3200(ddr400), pc2700(ddr333), pc2100(ddr226)
    K7S41GX supports pc2700 (ddr333), pc2100(ddr266)

Link to the manual http://www.asrock.com/Drivers/Manual/K7S41GX_UM.pdf

6. ddp

IonÅphis, i just noticed this in your sig "Viva La RTFM Revolution!!! (Read The fusking Manual). actually it is R.T.F.M.D.(Read.The.F**king.Manual.Dummy.)

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL.................(I just noticed that aswell)

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

ION, Excuse me if I barged in your last post. See here at AD, we tend to search for threads that are problems are related to,so I found your asrock/and being the same identical mobo, I joined in. EXCUSE ME!!

At least I read my fu**ing manual!! LMAO

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hey lets not get this out of proportion.

Its quite clear that IonÅphis has a question regarding his motherboards specifications.

I was not involved in his previous thread, therefore cannot comment about how 'off topic' it went.

The point being, there is some confusion about exactly what RAM can be installed.

Regarding the aperature question, I do believe ddp has answered that which I also support.

It appears that there are 2 versions of a similar motherboard.

Irrespective of what is written in his signature, let us resolve the problem without goading (I myself have a little hand in that - I apologise).

Therefore as I stated earlier there are 2 versions (that I can find relating to the K7S41 series):
    K7S41 supports pc3200(ddr400), pc2700(ddr333), pc2100(ddr226)
    K7S41GX supports pc2700 (ddr333), pc2100(ddr266)

Now also in the manual it gives locations for jumpers to set the FSB, on the GX it supports an FSB from 200Mhz/266Mhz/333Mhz.

If you have a look at the manual link I gave, look on page 24, it states that the option for ddr400 is only available for the K7S41 only and not the GX version.

This confuses me, as according to the BIOS this setting is there, therefore I have to assume that it is in fact either the K7S41 version or the BIOS is actually that of the K7S41 instead.

Either way there is still a level of confusion here, so I think it would be best to email Asrock and ask them the question giving the 'exact' number of the board and also the level of the BIOS.

I also believe you do require a BIOS update as you are using a Sempron, and the manual references the Athlon XP/Duron CPU's.

It may actually be better obtaining a motherboard catered for the Sempron and its relative FSB therefore any confusion regarding the acceptable memory will not be an issue.

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Whatever - if the Sempron runs 166(333DDR) FSB, then you should run memory synchronously @ 333 (PC2700 = 2.7GB/s).
    You can run PC3200, but run it @ 333.
    Usually it will support more aggressive timings at the slightly slower speed...
    I agree - but only if you have 1GB of memory!
    For 512MB, 64/64 would be preferred
    (the Real256E will be slow no matter how much memory you throw at it).
    I hate when they have 2 different mobo's with only slightly different nomenclature...
    Seems he definitely has the GX though.
    Run the memory to match your Sempron FSB, in any event :^)
    Regards