1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by lafeet, Feb 28, 2011.

1. lafeet

lafeet Regular member

I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard.

Hi, i dont know much about computers, and my friend gave me his computer and i am trying to do a fresh install Windows 7 on it by reformatting it. However, it does not load up any hard drives for me to reformat. When i start the computer, it shows on a black screen that the hard drive is there, but when im going to format the hard drive on the windows 7 set-up, it does not appear. It says no drives found. I have tried 5 different hard drives, and 1 of them was IDE and the rest was SATA. So, if anyone can help me. I will say big thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a pc hardware issue.

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

you need to have a disc with drivers on it
    when it says press F6 if you need drivers press F6
    it will ask you for the floppy (or cd)during the install
    we use one of those boards in our backroom server very nice but a bit long in the tooth

forgot the important bit lol
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

win7 is a pig on these boards.. none of the onboard hardware is supported at all.. after all.. they are pre fista vintage (I use a k8n.. debian 64.. works everything out of the box).. to get windoze to see anything you will have a nightmare hunt for some pretty obscure drivers.. start off with xp and get a list of the hardware.. especially the sata controller (because there are a few different chips used depending on actual release version) or even better.. use a sensible operating system that will work on quality vintage hardware.. win7 doesn't cut it at all.. and you might not even have enough ram or graphics bang to get anywhere.

people usually give old computers away for a reason.. you might be finding out just why that was free....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011