1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS KV8 SE Deluxe-EAYZ: BIOS upgrade problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oeksen37, Jan 28, 2005.

1. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

For reasons I don't understand I had problems installing and activating the feature "Cool n' Quiet" - also it appeared now and then difficult to enter the BIOS setup to enter the necessary adjustments of this feature. I then decided to upgrade to the new BIOS (1005sd.Rom). First I did it by means of the flash method - it failed, but then I tried it the old fashoned way, by means of AFUDOS. Apparently It went fine, and I was asked to do the usual reboot. When doing that I end up in the "American Megatrends" splash screen, saying:

CMOS Checksum bad
    Press F 1 to run Setup
    Press F 2 to load default values and continue

however, to press neither of the two gives no result whatsoever. I simply remain in the BIOS Splash Screen without being able to enter neither the BIOS setup, nor WIN XP.

How should one reset the BIOS - "delete" is without effect also when normally trying to enter the BIOS setup function. The manual does not say anything in this regard. There is probably a combinations of letters that can reset the BIOS?? Also I would be pleased to know how others manage to upgrade the BIOS without these problems.

MB details: Socket 754. VIA K8T800. DDR 400
    ASUS Athlon 64

Thanks for any piece of advice. Oeksen37+

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

clear the cmos chip using the jumper, check manual for location

3. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

Have cleared CMOS-settings more times by moving the jumber one position forward - and then back again as says the manual and other competent people - then a reboot, however, I still end up the the forementioned AMI Splashscreen with the well known words "CMOS Checksum Bad" etc. and the screen hangs as usual....sihg...

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Online you can go to Asus and download the FULL manual for ASUS KV8 SE Deluxe MB. On pages 71 and 72 it goes into detail to Recover the Bios with CrashFree BIOS2 auto recovery tool which allows you to restore BIOS from the motherboard support CD.

Good luck!

5. ddp

it told you not to use afudos "**Please flash BIOS using K8V1005.exe, and do not flash from 1001, 1002 or 1003 to version 1004 through EZFlash/AFUDOS/LiveUpdate**" so i think board is duff as bios is screwed totally unless can take out bios chip out to put into similar board that is powered up to be reflashed the proper way, other than that if still under warranty take board back to store for replacement & don't mention trying to flash bios

6. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

Thanks DDP and all others on this board for your very kind trying to help me - I raised, as you may understand my problem on more Forums at the same time, to try to obtain a as broad extent of help as possible. While I have n o t had much help from asking on other boards, it's indeed impressive how this Forum has offered assistance. Now I have a very good piece of news for you! Do you know what has been the central problem in this extended "exercise"....the k e y b o a r d! Normally I have been using a "Logitech" keyboard (USB). As soon as I changed the keyboard and used a non-USB-keyboard, I could immediately enter the BIOS-setup and reestablish my configurations....a very strange thing to me, but maybe not to you!

DDP would you kindly tell me with regard to your good advice as to how to upgrade my BIOS to the most recent version, is it a question of renaming the bios before placing it on a bootable disk. The most up to date bios I downloaded from ASUS seemed to be named "1005sd.rom". I am indeed so scared to run into new problems when upgrading my current bios, being 1004....Would you be so kind as to instruct me, thanks a lot for the very fine assistance given to me! Oeksen37+

7. ddp

goto this link http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V Deluxe&Type=All
    than select the bios tab, download all versions from 1006 to 1009 & afudos211. uzip afudos211 onto bootable disk & copy the 4 bios versions onto that disk. boot up on disk than type in afudos211(if that is the file on disk) space than than the 1006 file but first read the readme file that might come with files to make certain of proceedure

8. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

DDP - or somebody else, willing to help: I have been most grateful for the advice about how to upgrade my ASUS MOBO's BIOS (MOBO: K8V SE De Luxe)after my failing upgrade attempts to the most recent one. However, the whole upgrade process has more or less become a nightmare for me - re the precedent threads.
    When I try to upgrade the BIOS in full accordance with the good advice from DDP, none of the most recent BIOS-versions are accepted by the "AFUDOS"-tool. I am constantly met with a:

"Error Rom file. Rom ID is not compatible with existing BIOS Rom ID..."

The last BIOS from the ASUS webpage that I have tried out is - after initially having tried out from 1006 and onwards:

"K8V1009.ami" It seems as if the recent BIOS-versions provided by ASUS on their webpage for reasons that I don't know are n o t compatible with the BIOS-type/file provided on the CD accompanying the MOBO, being as far as I can determine it: "1004sd.rom". Furthermore it seems to me as if the extensions "ami" on the most recent BIOS-versions are compatible with the previous version with the extensions "rom"...

What can I possibly do to be able to use the most recent BIOS-version (K8V1009.ami)? Is it advisable to delete/uninstall my current BIOS, version 1004sd.rom, and, in the affirmative, how is that done? Is it necessary to make individul upgrades with all of the files from 1006-1009, or can I go directly to 1009 and only install the latter? Could somebody possibly help me, thanks! Oeksen37

9. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

...sorry, second last paragraph should read..."the extensions of the Bios-files are not identical/compatible"...

10. ddp

upgrade in stages & what version of afudos are you using

11. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

using AFUDOS211 - the most recent one...with the same negative result....Oeksen37

12. ddp

try the 207 version & update in stages

13. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

...have you noticed the difference in extensions between the former BIOS'es and the recent ones? Thought it might cause the problem - rejecting the upgrade?

14. ddp

upto 1005, you have to use the k8v1005.exe plus 1005.ami to flash to 1005 level. 1006 & up, have to use afudos207 or 211 version plus k8v1006.ami to flash to that level

15. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

...no effect changing the AFUDOS-version, but I'll try what you suggest in your last thread...in fact I could easily live with the current Bios-version, however, my intension with the upgrade was merely to profit from the "Cool-N Quiet" feature which has so far not been working in my case - I see in the readme-files of ASUS that one of the BIOS-upgrades includes a patch which is supposed to handle the apparent bug in previous BIOS with regard to this feature....

16. ddp

did you check asus faq about flash problem??

17. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

...in fact the ASUS-Update interface in WIN XP is supposed to handle these BIOS-upgrades by a normal and safe flashing - buyers of the MO can read about this feature in their manual and believe that so it should be done in an easy way - but one thing is theory another is practise. In my case I got more problems than I had before proceeding that way....

18. ddp

you know the saying if it is not broken why fix it, that is why i don't like asus bioses. prefer using a floppy disk & the files needed to update bios. i have 2 of friend's motherboards that had automatic bios updates enabled & it flashed wrong update so the boards are for spare parts to fix other boards

19. oeksen37

oeksen37 Member

you are completely right ddp...however, for the sake of good order I visited (again) the ASUS webpage - and it is indeed not neither easy to use, nor is it containing impressive faq's - I believe that I cannot be the only one having run into problems upgrading the BIOS, but there is no help to find in the faq's, and some of the ASUS-webpages seem to be blind....

20. ddp

don't like the asus site as like a maze. try emailing support with your problem but don't count on receiving a reply as had that with other manufacturers but never know