1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus M2A-VM Hdmi Connection looks crap

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by killalot, Sep 7, 2008.

1. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Try this, go into advanced catalyst control center, then click display manager, click on the force button then in the drop down menu click on desktop area and pick the resolution from the list that best matches your hdtv, then click apply.

2. killalot

killalot Active member

3. killalot

killalot Active member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can clearly see the lack of a 1080p signal that's in 32-bit colour, which is rather odd. Realistically, playing back high def over a graphics card as slow as the X1250 could prove problematic anyway, I don't see the harm in getting a dedicated card, it's what I'd do for a high-def HTPC.

5. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Your ati catalyst control is different from mine but i would try 1920 by 1080 high color(16bit)60Hertz, or 1920 by 1080, 256 colors,60Hertz as i don't see a 32 bit option with out it being interlaced, this is to improve the look of windows, it might look better if its not interlaced.

As for HD graphics cards they can be quite cheap as there made for dedicated HD video encoding and not games, as to which is best and the performance gained i don't know as i'm new to this to, some research or reviews should help.

I know ATI do a lot of these cards from £25 up but i guess the more you spend the better the performance, just remember that you don't want a noisy graphics card while watching dvds, so probably a passively cooled one.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not actually accurate about ATI cards, the HD name is simply what replaced the X, previously. All ATI's graphics chips start with HD now, including the high performance games ones such as the HD4850. However, you are right in the sense that ATI do focus on HD video playback, which they are good at. Integrated solutions like the X1250 though, may be limited in what they can achieve.

7. killalot

killalot Active member

Thanks for taking the time guys but think this is as good as it gets the motherboard only cost £45 so when it said hddvd compatible thought it was too good to be true yes it can play hd video but with limits and not true high def it’s a good board but looks like ill have to put my hand in my pocket and buy a dedicated card like the one I said but a passive cooled 1 rogue20 in ati catalyst if I try and get too cleaver and force settings that are not listed the screen goes black and I lose the picture in vista got the picture better now when viewing windows so think I’ll quit while I’m ahead the misses wants the tele back can you recommend a dedicated card to buy lads in the £50 bracket cheers

8. killalot

killalot Active member

9. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Sorry you couldn't get windows looking the way you wanted killalot, perhaps VGA is the road to go for that, as for the best graphics card for HD video playback i think you need someone with more experience to recommend one.

I'm sure there are plenty of folk on here who can help, perhaps a new post, i wouldn't want you wasting your hard earned cash on my limited experience.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That doesn't look bad, it just looks a little blurry, which suggests interlacing. Try the 16 bit, but not interlaced video mode.

11. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is mainly down to HDMI, the world's least reliable connection interface. VGA works fine, every time.

13. killalot

killalot Active member

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's very likely, the HD3450s are significantly more geared up for HD than integrated video chips.

15. killalot

killalot Active member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the first one is better actually.

17. killalot

killalot Active member

ok cheers just ordered it be here tomorrow let you know how i get on fingers crossed and everything else :)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Saturday delivery? Ouch, bet that cost a bomb...

19. killalot

killalot Active member

£7 needed some other stuff so wasnt to bad

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

£7 saturday delivery? Royal Mail then I guess? Ebuyer's next day delivery is usually £10 even on weekdays, let alone saturday delivery.