1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus M2A-VM Hdmi Connection looks crap

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by killalot, Sep 7, 2008.

1. killalot

killalot Active member

I appreciate that but like I said I paid round about £1000 for my TV and when I got it and it said HD ready on the front I thought I was good to go but my eyes have been opened now on ebuyer they’ve a 46 inch Samsung full HD ready at 1080p LCD for about £920 tempting but for pure principle and the "misses" and since I’ve only had my TV for 2 years I aint going to do it unless I win the lottery and with my luck don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon :(

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely, you have to be very committed to your HD to want to upgrade an existing large HDTV to get 1080p on it. It's also worth mentioning if you're the games console sort that consoles very rarely support 1080p anyway. They will broadcast on it, but the actual images they send are usually 720p or 640p. 1080p is pretty much 'movies only' as HDTV such as SkyHD is only broadcast in 720p or 1080i.

3. killalot

killalot Active member

Yes it’s all about the money some have it me not being one of them :( when I watch a HD DVD would I be better of watching it interlaced or should I stick too the 1280x720 settings we’ve talked about it was the windows desktop that was wrong on interlaced cant remember now if I tried a HD DVD on interlaced

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  4. killalot

killalot Active member

Not sure what’s happened to the message
    Yes it’s all about the money some have it me not being one of them :( when I watch a HD DVD would I be better of watching it interlaced or should I stick too the 1280x720 settings we’ve talked about it was the windows desktop that was wrong on interlaced cant remember now if I tried a HD DVD on interlaced

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Leave it at 1280x720. On a TV that actually sports a 1920x1080 resolution panel, but doesn't accept 1080p inputs, 1080i would look better than 720p. However, since your TV has a 1366x768 panel, not only would 1080i have to be deinterlaced, it would have to be downscaled as well. 720p will give you a clearer, cleaner image.

6. killalot

killalot Active member

Ok cheers will do, I’m glad someone knows what they’re talking about
    :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I try... haha

8. killalot

killalot Active member

Me again forgot to ask is it best to watch DVDs or when watching videos divx etc from the hardrive over the HDMI connection? or the vga, reason I ask its setup now on both and because I’ve got a dual boot I have to boot of the vga then switch to hdmi because on start-up it doesn’t see the hdmi until it gets to the windows logo if there’s no gain watching DVD’s etc with the hdmi connection don’t want the unnecessary cables

9. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

I think you won't be able to use 720p or 1080i etc through VGA but i'm not 100% sure, but i've found VGA can look just as good as HDMI.

Just one thing if you could help, since i've set up and been using cyberlink powerdvd 7.3 ultra through HDMI to play my HD dvd's i've lost ATI's catalyst control centre, it won't start, it doesn't show up when i right click on my screen either.

I've uninstalled it, reinstalled several times but with no luck, does Powerdvd ultra some how override it, it worked before with it but now i can't select 720p 0r 1080i etc using the catalyst control and there's no option for it through windows display porperties, any ideas, thanks

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  10. killalot

killalot Active member

Hi mate gave up with the catalyst control centre you name it I tried it couldn’t get it to reinstall to change the settings with out the catalyst uninstall all catalyst software then just install the graphics card driver I used the windows base driver then to change the picture to 720p 0r 1080i go to your display settings the normal way right click in desktop etc then choose advanced adaptor list all modes then just select which 1 you want highlight it double click it and select apply have to laugh when my new graphics card came from ebuyer the catalyst works with the new card I’ll have a look and see what version the software is that came with it

11. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Just downloaded and installed the the new 8.9 version, it's working now, had to unstall the old 8.8 numerous times and use ati cat-uninstaller.

The profile maker is excellent, as you can link the profile of all the settings you've made in the catalyst control center to a program short cut on your desk top.

So for HD video i have it set to 720p standard with a few tweaks etc and when i click on the desktop short cut it changes my video settings to that profile and launches powerdvd, when i've finished i click on my other profile short cut set up for windows and my windows settings are restored.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

HD video modes work fine over VGA, as that can support up to 2048x1536@60Hz, progressive. No trouble whatsoever.