1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At a total loss after firmware updateHelp

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Barcafunk, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Barcafunk

Barcafunk Guest

I have recently bought a stack of 100 panasonic 1 Branded media and got ready to blast away on all the movies I had on my HD. However when I put them in I was told it was illegal media. So After a bit of reserach I found out thisi is somtimes a problem. So after reading the threads here I decided to upgrade the firmware (gulp). Read that I had a SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS2 and decided as it was actually a LiteOn 1633s/1653s that I could upgrade to a BYX5 - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED (for 1213S, 1613S, 1653S, etc.)" great popped the disk into the drive and nero and Alcahol could read it. whoppee.

However after burning a film I got a new error message saying there was a runtime C+++ Error.

I then Thought fine stuff happends and I would update it to another of the firmwares mentioned so I updated it to BYS3, however when I do this it does not finish the job it simply hangs at 100% of reprograming and never gives you the job finished bar that I got with the other one. and Now I have a totallly non functioning DVD drive and a big pile of usless DVDS. I did not save my previous firmware BYS2 as i could see i could download that.

Any ideas on a remedy.

Yes yes I have read all the previous posts but this is a different problem.

Many thanks in advance. even if the news is kick your writer in the bin you are fried

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

go to newegg.com and get yourself a new DVD burner for under $40! Sounds like you fried you burner. JM2C

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Some people seem to think that flashing a new firmware version is a magic wand that makes el-cheapo disks into good ones, and fixes all Nero errors. You've found out that ain't so.

People have sometimes rescued a drive after a bad flash by this method. DON'T DO IT ON YOUR MAIN COMPUTER.

Find old low value computer. Only needs floppy drive.

Put flash program and firmware on bootable floppy.

Find old unwanted cdrom or other optical drive. need not work, just
    able to be recognised by BIOS.

Set jumpers on old cdrom drive and sick DVD drive to master.

Put old cdrom drive in old low value computer.

Connect IDE cable and power to CDROM drive.

Put dvd drive needing reflash in same old computer.

Only connect power to dvd drive.

Boot up computer. BIOS recognises CDROM drive.

While power is on (!!!) remove IDE ribbon cable from CDROM drive and
    connect it to sick DVD drive.

Run flash program on floppy.

Power down, and hopefully dvd drive has taken flash.

DVD writers are so cheap now... You may not need to bother.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007