1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon 64 Core ???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Uugah, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Uugah

Uugah Member

I was curious to know the difference between the "BARTON" and the "NEWCASTLE" core on the Athlon 64 CPU.

I am currently looking at upgrading and have decided on the ASUS K8N-E Deluxe MOBO.However,I am stuck deciding on the right CPU to go into this MOBO.

To give an idea,I play COD-FarCry-Doom3 etc.....

Any help would be great!

2. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

the only difference is speeds and where the core is made newcastle's have 512kb cache and between 1ghz-1.6ghz
    bartons are for athlon xps but there is also
    clawhammer's which have 1MB cache, but only a 800 mhz.
    Don't choose a processor by that name, but the the clocked speed, fsb and cache. hope this helps

3. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Asus K8N-E is socket 754.
    You can therefore run AMD Athlon64 or Sempron chips designed for socket 754.
    Barton was the name of the AthlonXP chips (for socket A) having 512K full-speed L2 cache.
    All Athlon64 chips have this 512K L2, however the Sempron for socket 754 has only 256K L2.
    An Athlon64 2800 is the most affordable, and will give good performance - faster models are of course FASTER :) but their cost increases dramatically.
    Athlon64 3000 is still not a bad price...
    L8R