1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Driver problems!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dazila, May 1, 2007.

1. dazila

dazila Regular member

Need help fast!.
    Whenever i try to instal the Catalyst drivers it just says
    Setup was unable to complete instilation try to setup your display adapter with a standard vga driver before running setup
    but funny thing is the card is already in there and the default drivers have been instaled but these wont.
    My games run but i want to have advanced setting for filtering etc which i cant get stock Please help me its getting really annoying.
    My card is a GeCube Radeon 9550XT Platinum Edition 128mb AGP4x/8x
    Help?

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've definitely got the right driver? Do different/older versions of it cause the same problem? Are there any existing drivers for the card, or previous cards present?

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Uninstall the existing drivers.
    Uninstall the card from device manager.

Then try control panel/add new hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  4. dazila

dazila Regular member

This is the problem:
    I Try to instal the orignals which came with the Card it starts instaling then it says "Instal Default VGA drivers and then try".
    the 7.4 newest drivers it says " Operating system or Hardware is incompatible".
    What really pisses me off neither are true
    a)I downloaded these drivers of ATi for the 9550 for Xp Pro 32bit edition and now it says i have the wrong card or OS I think i can see what card i installed today and what OS system i have.
    b)I have tried the stuppid Microsoft VGA drivers which do work but every time i restart they change the stupid resolution back to 800x600 and always ask for the ati drivers so that is the biggest reason i need this.
    c)I have delted every possible ati thing i could find in prgram files unistaled it,looked in the registry,and all that was left over were some backups in System 32 and a few files in system 32 which iu wasnt sure of delteing?
    then i cleaned my registry with CC and Registry Mechanic and fixed everything.
    Then i used Cat uninistaler of Ati to get left overs re-booted and tried the original smae thing
    tried the downloaded same thing.
    So?

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

Might the omega drivers work?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That was going to be my next suggestion, try it, see what happens.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

after downloading the software just install it to a folder not install the software to the card. if card is using standard ms vga driver then do an update of the driver by telling it to goto that folder & it will update itself.

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

Dam!.
    Tried omega drivers it instaled and it showed me i have a radeon 9600Chipset Because the 9550XT platinum is a 9600 chipset and i instaled went fine unlike ati ones and then after i restarted because it prompted me to so i did once i restarted teh only thing that would work was the MultiRes software the otehr 2 i got wouldnt work.
    Ati 3D control panel wouldnt start it says its not compatible with the Hardware WTF! LOL! again saying that i dont have an ati card even though they omega when i was instaling it detected a 9600Series card.
    the otehr thing just froze my pc so i rebooted i went into Dxdiag funny thing it didnt know what Ramdac what chipset what direct x it was and nothing listed next to it in the drivers section.
    and i right clciked display properties and the Multi Monitor thing dissapered and i couldnt go above 1280res from teh previously 2048 avalible so i uninstaled it and uninstaled in device manager and rebooted windows detected it and im using teh windows drivers.
    I want to know i have never used the windows drivers on their own ive always had catalyst or force ware am do the windows drivers cause a performance setback or not?

On note i have had a Ati Card before and took it out about 1 year ago i used intergrated and ati control panel woudltn uninstal so i just deletd it might this be the cause?
    I will give Omega a shot now again fingers crossed LOL!

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  9. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well ive got omega instaled and it works and my chipset is recongnized but my Ati 3D control panel wont work i double click it does nothing ati tools work though.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All I can say is leave it at that, the driver support for the 9550 is obviously a bit flawed.

11. dazila

dazila Regular member

LOL!
    Owell i dont mind about the Control Panel all i wanted was to lift my Anti-Aliasing and Filtering which the ATi Tools lets me do.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't even know that! That could save me some time, I still find CCC a bit cumbersome.

13. dazila

dazila Regular member

So far my games run fine but i just want to know o0uld the performance decrease alot with Windows Drivers or not?
    I have Ati Tool RUnning very smooth it dosent crashy its just the stupid Catalyst.
    On note i checked my drivers and they seem to be the ones that i tried to instal of my ati disc when windows opened the new hardware thing and i said instal of the disc so i now have ati drivers but and older version from Very Late 04 so its just teh stupid CCC that isnt working causing me not to be able to instal updates.
    WOuld i see a big incrse in performance or what im thinking this is the cards capability now which isnt bad gets through most games on high if not on high it breezes thorugh medium.
    So would i?

14. crowy

crowy Guest

dazila,
    have you tried different drivers or just the ones on your disc and the latest ones?

Maybe try an earlier driver than the latest?

15. dazila

dazila Regular member

The ones on the disc are Ver: 8.01 which came with the card but the problem is when i click Easy Instal it says use Basic VGA Drivers before running instilation i ahve tried everything and it alwasy says it so i just got the Disc uninstaled the card from device manager rebooted and the wizard came up and it took the drivers of the original disc but problem was no catalyst or ati Tool. so i went and tried the newer drivers of ati no luck with teh catalys set it says hardware is not reconginzed or something.
    So i try just teh drivers same thing.
    So i went on and tried Omega it said it found a Radeon 9600series chipset instaled but the drivers never changed it just gave me Catalyst Control and Ati tool but Catalyst control dosent even start it just does nothing when i double click it dosent load anything but ati tool functions 100% correctly.
    So im a bit stuck.
    I thought it was screwed up because ther might be otehr drivers left over so i gave DriverCleaner a go it found stuff and delted and nothing same thing.
    So yeah im really stuck on this one what can be causing so many problems?
    As i said i had an Ati card before took it out and the drivers "Catalyst" wouldnt uninstal so i delted it from programs would that be cauing it?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'd notice if you were running default drivers, because it'd be running in software mode, i.e. your games would barely run at all. If performance seems fine, the drivers are fine, abandon Catalyst for now.

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

[​IMG]

Thats my Dxdiag.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Soo what do you'se think?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it reckons you're running a 9600XT and you're not. If it performs OK, then leave it at that, if not, which drivers have you tried?

20. crowy

crowy Guest

dazila"
    Have a look here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/archive/index.php/t-1135.html

Looks like your card has been flashed with a 9600xt bios.
    Try the drivers for that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007