1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI RADEON 9600 64m 128 bit graphics card help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by phsyco025, Mar 28, 2007.

1. phsyco025

phsyco025 Member

I just tried to install an ati radeon 9600 series with 64m and 128bit. I put the card in and then turned on the pc and the found new hardware window came up so i installed it and then after it said it was installed i waited a bit to see if it would ask me to restart but it didnt so i restarted on my own buti accedently pressed shut down. Now whenever i turn on the pc it gets to the blue logon screen and restarts again. but if i go into safe mode it shows a error report saying that the computer had an unexpected shut down and had to restart. Someone help me! Oh by the way my OS is xp 2000 ask if u need more info

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

I'll give it a shot. Next time it goes into safe mode uninstall your video drivers and anything else associated with ATI and reboot. You probably have a corrupted driver.

You also metion XP 2000. So what OS do you have???

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Do you have onboard video on this board? If so remove your new vid card and try a reboot to see if it will boot up with no bsod. If not then follow the previous suggestion. If all else fails you could do a repair with your xp or 2000 disk whichever OS you have.

4. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Excellent point about onboard video. That maybe an issue if you have onboard video enabled while having another graphics processor running.

5. phsyco025

phsyco025 Member

ok ill respond to each question in order. sorry about my os confusion what i meant to say was i have windowns xp. So i uninstalled the driver and now it gets passed to login screen. for if i have an onboard video card if what u mean by onbaord is intigrated then no and if u mean another card that was installed before then yes and i took that one out and put in this one so what should i do now? What i want to do is get this installed to play Age of emipires 3 and thx to all those who helped so far. o and what is a bsod?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  6. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

First, a BSoD means Blue Screen of Death and it refers to when there is either a software or hardware conflict, i.e. drivers, faulty RAM, failing harddrives, ad naseum, that causes Windows to "crash." It "crashes" to a Blue Screen with a warning that your system has experienced a serious problem and that Windows needs to shut down. It dumps physical memory and then reboots. This is Windows way of protecting your PC from serious damage. Never unplug when dumping memory! let it reboot.

On that Blue Screen is error codes that tells you what happened; trust me, there are so many different combinations and types it will make your head spin. Windows will also create what they call a Minidump that can be read with a debugging tool that points to where the problem is.

If you have been getting BSoD's I suggest signing up at TechSpot Open Forums and go to their Windows OS forums and post your problem with your Minidump attached to your post. The Minidumps can be found in your C drive, then in your Windows folder, and then in your folder marked Minidump. I made a separate folder and placed it on my desktop screen and transferred my minidumps there. It makes it easier to access when attaching.

Now, as for your video card, did you uninstall the drivers from your previous card before installing your current ones?

7. phsyco025

phsyco025 Member

ok to answer i dont get the bsod instead it goes to the bkle log in screen and restarts i uninstalled the driver in safe mode for ati and then it boots up properly then i installed it again and same thing happens

8. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Try removing and reseating the card
    Check all cables from monitor to card are securely fixed
    Remove the driver files for the card
    Use the windows generic vga drivers to see if the problem is definately related to your drivers
    Get the latest bios, and drivers for your card and mobo
    Try reducing the refresh rate of the monitor.

Just a few ideas

9. phsyco025

phsyco025 Member

just incase this help i actually tried to install this card on another computer as well and when i installed the driver it said the pc needs to restart so when i restart and log back in it says either the driver isnt installed or not working properly then i got to devvice manager and it says not enough resources

10. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Are you sure that you downloaded the right drivers from the ATI site? If that video card isn't new, it may be junk.

11. phsyco025

phsyco025 Member

the video card is not new i got it about a year ago but its enough to play age of empires 3 and i have the drivers on the instalation cd i did not download them

12. phsyco025

phsyco025 Member

so anybody got a solution?

13. REAM

REAM Guest

looks like you have not uninstalled the previose cards drivers please do that first, and then, from ati's website, install the most up to date driver.