1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ati sapphire x1600 pro 512mb graphics card. help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pcgeek89, Aug 5, 2007.

1. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

ok, i just got a new custom built pc and need some help. the driver supposedly came preinstalled on the computer but I am having some trouble with it. I am running windows vista home premium (32 bit, even though I am on a intel core 2 duo 2.67ghz proccesor, so im pretty sure thats a 64bit processer. i know, I need to get that fixed too. any ideas on where I can do that?) and I am using a 26" lcd vizio hdtv. The tv does have a rgb input, but since the graphics card has a dvi output, I have been using a dvi to hdmi cable so I can have it running in true high def. Well, I first turned on my pc, it took forever for the card to start outputing it through the dvi output onto my monitor, and when it finally did, it was in a 4:3 ratio and not the widescreen ration, so everything was streched out. No matter what I did I could not resized and resolution looked a little funny. At one time I also got a message about intsalling a driver for it. So after playing around with it, I assumed it was the driver. I then tried to pop in the cd that came with it but when i ran the execution file, all that came up was the sapphire logo and a background pictute behind it. nothing else, it just stayed there. I then when to the amd/ati website and go the latest driver software (it was for ati x1600, there was no pro, and it said nothing about the sapphire company make)t my vga cable and attach it to the output from the motherboard to the monitor. Thats what I am currently using, and the ratio is fine now. but i don't want to use the crappy motherboard output, I want to use the 512mb graphics card. I have since then deleted the driver that I installed. I also found many other ati programs (drivers maybe? im not sure) throught the computer, but I don't want to touch them, just in case they came pre-installed on the computer, and I need them to make the card work.

sorry, I'm pretty sure this is useless and none of you guys will be able to help me, but I had to try. If you can though, please do, because I am leaving for college in a week and need this problem fixed ASAP! thanks!

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

3. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

thank you. and just curious. why shouldn't i install the 64 bit version?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Less driver support. Just not worth it.

5. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

well actually, i have already been there, and downloaded that driver.

and everyting is almost find now. im using the card and its displaying on my widescreen corectly, but it still isn't getting use of the power. i checked the rating of the graphics card by vista and its a 1.0, which is the worst rating it can get, i believe. also, whenever i start up my computer now, i get a message saying "The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager"

so how do it get it so i can actually get the 512mb of power?

6. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

i was under the assuptiom that if you had a 64 bit processer, and your running 32 bit vista that your not getting the full experince. i mean its worked great so far but at the same time, I haven't even seen the 64 bit version. there are some things on here, like i can't get flip 3d to work (windows key and tab, right?) but i think thats because of the whole driver issue with my graphics card, and vista thinks i have a crap card and is not letting me use it, idk.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

yeah I mean if you think the driver support for 32 bit is bad it much worse for the 64 bit versions.

8. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

other than that, what are the other diffrences?

and btw, any ideas on my still presistante problem? like how to get it to recognize the 512mb in the card?

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try to call up sapphire, it definitely seems to be a driver issue.

10. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

damn, hopefully i can get this fixed without sending it off. i gotta leave for college in a week. Thanks so much man! I see you have live. i might hit you up on the 360 next time i get on.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well after I get my 8th xbox repaired lol.

12. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

yea, just sent something to your shoutbox, so the mods wouln't get pissed for going offtopic.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, 8th? You're doing better than most...
    I agree on not installing 64-bit Vista, just don't do it.

14. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

so i was on the phone with microsoft for 3 freakin hours today. thats no exageration. when i put down the phone it said 179 minutes (2 hours, 59 minutes). and its still not fixed!

but we did manage to figure out what the problem was.

During the installation process of the driver it will get about halfway through and then a message will pop up saying it can't find the INF file. any idea what the problem is?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there's no inf file, you shouldn't be able to begin the install. Is there one there?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Holy CRAP, they didn't even solve it in THREE hours.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're surprised?
    :p

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well, yeah, actually I am. I really haven't had that many problems with any tech support yet.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then you are one of the luckiest people I've met!

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So did you manage to work anything out?