1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI vs. NVIDIA

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by s3a, Jul 19, 2006.

1. s3a

s3a Guest

I don't live there and can some answer this "Which card is better the ATI Saphhire X700Pro 256MB PCI-E TV/DVI, ATI Sapphire X1300Pro 256MB PCI-e, ATI Sapphire X1600Pro 256MB PCI-e, or the ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card - Bilingual??

Please answer that because it means alot to me and all those cards are in my price range...also tell me how much better each card is from each other...(slightly better or much better).
    Thanks, in advance!!" please? I need to know because it is most probably going to be one these cards that I will buy and I want to get the best deal possible! How come there is no talk about NVIDIA...are NVIDIA cards cheaper compared to ATI like AMD compared to INTEL? I need to know because if a NVIDIA card at the same performance level is cheaper than these ATI cards, I will go with NVIDIA...by the way, the ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card - Bilingual is on special (apparently)!

Thanks, in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah they're about the same price. You'd want an X800XL over an X1600Pro performance-wise, but the 1600 can do Pixel shader 3, the X800XL can't.

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

well ati has the best card currently, nvidia will come back but ill keep my x1900xt-x for 2-3years the reason i like ati more is because they give you just abouot the same performance as nvidia and their card is always cheaper then the nvidia card that is competing with it

4. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

dazila, that doesn't always hold true. the 7600gt competes with the x1800gto yet its 40 dollars cheaper.

s3a- bestbuy is not your best choice for budget parts. and what is your budget exactly? try this site to find another store around you:http://www.buyitcanada.com/Computers/index.html

5. Sparsh

Sparsh Regular member

Can Anyone plz tell me which is the best Card i can get {Money is no Problem}I need a card compatible with X16 lane bcuz i have heard that they provide the best results!
    Also plx=z tell me rate wise bcuz i was planning on gifting some to my friends also!
    100-200=?
    200-300=?
    300-400=?
    400 and above?
    Thanks in advance

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

sukhvail: You're right about the "doesn't hold true" argument, but yet in the UK X1800GTOs are less than 7600GTs yet in the US it's the other way round!

Sparsh: Depends on what you mean by best. Best guaranteed performance? GeForce 7900GTX (around $450)
    Best performance in some games? GeForce 7950GX2 ($500-$550)
    Best performance/image quality combination? Radeon X1900XT-X ($350-$400)

Best for $300? Radeon X1900XT (Connect3D is $299 post-rebate from newegg)
    Best for $200? Radeon X1900GT (Connect£D is $190 post-rebate from newegg)
    Best for $100-$150? Radeon X800GTO 512MB (Sapphire is $129 from newegg)
    Best for under $100? Geforce 6600GT 128MB ($97 from newegg)

7. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"Nah they're about the same price. You'd want an X800XL over an X1600Pro performance-wise, but the 1600 can do Pixel shader 3, the X800XL can't."
    Is Pixel Shader 3 important? Can it be fixed with a future driver? Is it something like DirectX? So...out of all those cards the only "good" ones are X1600 PRO and a X800XL, right? So...which one should I buy...they are both the same exact price...except that the X800XL is a retail package from Bestbuy and the X1600 PRO is OEM but it is still in retail box, which is weird if you ask me. Sammoris, which one of the two would you buy? Are those two cards much better or atleast noticeable difference from the X700 Pro? The X700 Pro IS better than the X600 Pro, right?

Thanks so much sammoris!!!

P.S.
    I will then be looking forward to playing some of you people online in some comp games such as starcraft, one of the Half-Live's, Halo, Need for Speed Most Wanted, etc.
    *I don't know if all those games have oline play...too lazy to check...
    I read an article that says pixel shader 3 is important so I guess forget the X800XL...so now I need to know, should I get the X700 Pro or the X1600 Pro? Is the X1600 Pro much better or slightly better? Is it worth getting the X1600 Pro instead of the X700 Pro for an extra 30$ (canadian)??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  8. jaysfan

jaysfan Regular member

i live in ontario (canada) and i think u can move out when ur 16

9. s3a

s3a Guest

Am I the only who knows the law in terms of independence??!!

P.S.
    Can someone please answer my questions?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No no, but they're the ones in your price range that you'd want and be able to get hold of. Me? I'd buyh the X1600, because since you're buying ATi you're after image quality, so may as well get as much of it as you can. PS3 is only used on newer games like Age oF Empires 3 and Black & White 2 but in supported games (which there will be more of in the future) it makes a real difference!

The X700 doesn't have PS3 and neither does any three-figure X series, only the 1300,1600,1800 and 1900 have it.
    Oh and please have a bit more patience, we don't hang around here every hour of the day!

11. s3a

s3a Guest

Ok so I will get the X1600 Pro...but you did not say Pro in your message so were you reffering to another card or this one:
    http://www.oemexpress.com/Itemdesc....B-4E62-B9BA-04158654CFEB}&ic=VIDATI-X1600&Tp= ?
    Please clarify this.

P.S.
    Ok, so the X700 Pro and X800XL both do not support Pixel Shader 3 (which will be important in the future). So...I have to get the X1600 Pro...but like you said only the 1300,1600,1800 and 1900 have Pixel Shader 3, so...that means that my X600 Pro does not have it, right?

P.S. #2
    From the X600 pro to the X1600 Pro, what am I getting in benefits? Same RAM...better clock speed on GPU? What I am trying to say is what other than Pixel Shader 3 does the X1600 Pro have that the X600 Pro/X700 Pro does not?

P.S. #3
    So...the X800XL is better than X1600 Pro except that it does not have Pixel Shader 3? So...Pixel Shader 3 is not something updateable/upgradeable, right? It is something INSIDE the hardware, right?

P.S. #4
    If there is anything I can do to make it up to you for "wasting" your time, sammoris, tell me. And sorry once again for saying "tell me! tell me! tell me!"...thats how I am when I am excited (or if I have something on my mind).

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Original message: Yeah I just referred to it as the 1600 for short. Sorry to confuse you!
    PS1: That's correct.
    PS2: The X1600 will be significantly faster, and therefore allow you to play games the X600 doesn't.
    PS3: Yes that's correct, performance-wise there's almost no difference between them, but the X1600 has Pixel shader 3.
    Ps4: No I don't mind helping you, just don't demand an answer with multiple messages because someone doesn't reply immediately.

13. s3a

s3a Guest

sammoris...you are a saint!!

*You will now be referred to as St-Sammoris!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Um.... Okay!

15. s3a

s3a Guest

@ St-Sammoris:
    Oh! One more thing! If I wait a while (1-2 month(s)) will the ATI RADEON X1600 Pro go down in price?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quite possibly, but due to its position in the range, the price drops may well be quite slight. Of course what you must look out for is higher end models dropping into your price range! :D

17. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

have you tried ebay for cheap gc's?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally would never use ebay to buy a graphics card, what if it goes wrong? Ebay may have a system for that but I'd never rely on it.

19. s3a

s3a Guest

It's amazing that Graphic Cards become cheaper in such little time...so...every time I want to upgrade my graphics, I sell my current card...wait a month or 2 then price goes down and I buy a new better one for 0$!!! (the price is...suffering for a period of 1-2 months)

P.S.
    That would work, wouldn't it?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you rip people off as mercilessly as places like Dell and buy from cheap outlets it can be done.