1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI vs. NVIDIA

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by s3a, Jul 19, 2006.

1. s3a

s3a Guest

Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New and better cards for the price of suffering for a month or two!! (I will have school so...it's okay) LOL!

Plus I will have a laptop for surfing net...just no games on PC...there is always XBOX!!! (for that period of a month or two)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So you're for waiting then?

3. s3a

s3a Guest

I got even better deals than OEM Express from my guy!
    Here are the lists of prices (and graphic cards):

> SAPPHIRE X700PRO PCIX 256DDR TVO + DVI (RB)
    > (ADVANTAGE VERSION) 90$+
    > Taxe (End of life, limited stock)
    >
    > SAPPHIRE X1300 256M DDR2 TV+DVI 98$ + Tax
    >
    > SAPPHIRE X1300PRO 256M DDR2 TV+DVI 110$ + Tax
    >
    > SAPPHIRE X1600PRO 256M DDR2 TV+DVI 130$ + Tax
    >
    > Power Color RADEON X1600PRO PCI-E 256MB DD 145$
    > + Tax

So...I will need "re-evaluation" on what is the best deal...thanks in advance!

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Now that AMD has bought ATI u MIGHT SEE A DIFFERENCE amd IS VERY Agressive in the field of speed & quality.But only time will tell

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That one.

6. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"Now that AMD has bought ATI u MIGHT SEE A DIFFERENCE amd IS VERY Agressive in the field of speed & quality.But only time will tell"
    ______
    Why? By the way, the owner of ATI and AMD (if those people are the owners (the people shaking hands)) they look like my teachers from the past! (in other words...ugly)

Quote:"Quote:
    SAPPHIRE X1600PRO 256M DDR2 TV+DVI 130$ + Tax
    That one."

P.S.
    There are two pairs of cards that are the same...what are their differences?(especially the one that is more expensive than the one you told me to buy compared to the one you told me to buy)

P.S. #2
    Now all that is left to do is to sell my X600 Pro for 175$! LOL! It's technically used but...very, very good condition....not that you people need to know this....but just making conversation...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Original message: Yes it does
    PS1: The X1600 Pros are the same by the looks, but Sapphire is a better brand, so I don't see why they should be cheaper.
    PS2: I wish you the best of luck, it won't be easy. Not even people on ebay are that gullible.

8. s3a

s3a Guest

Thanks for wising me luck! lol...so...what you are telling me is that the 130$ one is the best one out of all those cards (and not the most expensive one?)OMG! Is this card comparable (in terms of overall performance) to every gfx card ever made? (availble to the public) If not, it is still a very good card (I think)...

P.S.
    Why are there so many cards by the name of X1600 PRO?? I even saw a 512 MB one!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes there is a 512MB one, but with a core at that speed, it will never make use of 512MB of RAM, it's not fast enough for that. And what do you mean this card is comparable? I could compare a 2MB Videologic chip to a 512MB 7900GTX if you want, they're comparable, but vastly different!

10. s3a

s3a Guest

comparable=it's almost as good as ____

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X1600 Pro isn't by any means the fastest card, nor was it ever intended to be. The 1600 is the midrange product. The X1600XT is about 15% faster, the X1800XT about 30% faster than the X1600XT and the X1900XT I have about 35% faster than the X1800XT.

12. s3a

s3a Guest

St-Sammoris, the reason you have said that RAM is the least important thing on a gfx card, was it because, if a graphic card has alot of RAM and not enough speed [to "support"] it is pointless?

P.S.
    Will the X1600 last me at least five years? When I ask this I know it will be low-range by then but it will still work with the games 5 years from now (regardless wether it's at minimum settings or not), right?

P.S. #2
    Is the X1600XT much more pricey than the X1600 PRO? Is the X1800XT much more pricey than the X1600 PRO?

P.S.
    All you smart PC ppl (St-Sammoris etc) do realize that ATI and NVIDIA are ripping us off with their newest gfx cards, right? I mean, the X600 PRO has amazing graphics and it's in no way the best one!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1. Not entirely, because even an X1900XT with 256MB of RAM would perform ALMOST as well, it still doesn't serve THAT much of a difference. If it had 128MB of RAM then it would suck, but 256/512 isn't that much of a difference at the moment.
    2. Yes and yes.
    3. ALl I can say is the X600 Pro is woefully inadequate at playing top titles, you couldn't dream of approaching the high end settings of FEAR and Oblivion with it. The X1600XT cannot run Oblivion at 1024x768 with the settings turned up, let alone the Pro. I don't think ATi and nVidia are ripping us off, I think the game developers are!

14. s3a

s3a Guest

St-Sammoris, I hate to say this but, you are wrong! It's not the developers because they are just taking advantage of the new cards but it is NVIDIA and ATI who are making the cards...there can be an argument about this...

P.S.
    So...I am going to get the X1600 Pro (130$) but I just want to know. How can I distinguish all the X1600 Pro's other than by looking at the VRAM and wether it is AGP or PCI Express?

15. 2QU1CK

2QU1CK Member

The X1600 Pro is a very good value for money card, you can play practically any game out today with it. But if you want the best of the best get 2 7900GTX's in SLi mode. Lmao if you can afford them LOL!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well quite. There isn't a hierachy of different types of X1600 Pro, just different ones made by different manufacturers. Sapphire is a better manufacturer than Powercolor so look for Sapphire cards.

17. s3a

s3a Guest

WTF??? Im so confused!! I do understand the differences between saphire etc but what is confusing me is:

I thought ATI was the manufacturer, whats all this [unimportant] information I do not know??!! Well...I know pretty much all about this..lol..except I just need an explanation of what is ATI (since it is not the manufacturer) and saphires are the best, right? (in performance or in reliability or both?)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ATi make the chip and overall rough design specification, it is up to the board manufacturers (connect3d, sapphire etc.) to actually produce the board and the finished product. The difference is, ATi do also make some of their own boards, whereas nVidia do not.

19. s3a

s3a Guest

i saw somewhere talk about overclocking graphic cards...here is the question: i have an old 32 mb gfx card that is obsolete now, and 64 mb is not cuz it can play games such as half-life 2 and halo, so...if i overclock it, will it work with those games or is there something i am missing

p.s. excuse me IF I wrote bad or made mistakes in the way i expressed myself, i have a headache...

P.S.
    Thanks St-Sammoris, for helping distinguish all the X1600 PRO's!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  20. s3a

s3a Guest

Don't ask why but I just need a card that is more powerful than the ATI RADEON X600 PRO no matter how slight it may be. I might change my mind and go back to the ATI SAPHIRE RADEON X1600 PRO but for now I think that this card which I have found on http://www.leadtek.com/graphic.html (WinFast PX7300 GT TDH) is exactly as powerful but has 100 Mhz over the ATI SAPHIRE RADEON X600 PRO, right?

Leadtek is NVIDIA (chipset and manufacturer and those things, right? Please clarify/elaborate.) Excuse my ignorance but I am not a NVIDIA person.

According to: http://www.gen-x-pc.com/vg_23153.htm the NVIDIA card is more powerful by 100 Mhz on the memory speed.

It does not matter that it is ABIT instead of SAPHIRE, right? It's the exact same card as mine, right (except that it is made by ABIT, right?)?

Bottom Line:
    In terms of performance, they are both equal in every single way but the NVIDIA one has 100 Mhz over the X600 PRO in the memory clock speed, right (and the fact that the X600 PRO has DDR memory and that the NVIDIA one has DDR3 memory)? It is a NVIDIA card, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006